A heater motor has been identified as the cause of smoke in the cafeteria that caused evacuation of Pilgrim High School Friday morning at about 7:10.
The school’s interim principal Marie Cote pulled the alarm after discovering the smoke.
According to Battalion Chief John Hornsby, a motor in the heating system, which is located on the roof, was found to be the problem.
“It wasn’t anything serious,” Hornsby said yesterday. He said firefighters who were on the scene until 8:24 a.m. shut down the heating unit, informed school maintenance personnel and used smoke ejectors to vent the cafeteria.
In an e-mail to parents, Cote said that after the Fire Department cleared the auditorium and gymnasium, students and faculty were permitted back into the areas.
“The fire department deemed the building safe and the school day will continue as normal. Once again the Patriots did an outstanding job and I commend them for their cooperation,” Cote wrote parents.