To the Editor:
Barry Nordin grieved (March 25) that the Bible isn’t a textbook and takes a swipe at this “4,000-year-old book” as though it was an inorganic artifact from a prehistoric culture and though that may be his view, he should acknowledge that this book survived the assaults of all these years and became the foundation of our Western culture, especially the Protestant Reformation, which defined the American experience for her first 150 years and whose legacy still lives on today in the hearts of many, especially as we approach Easter Sunday and every Sunday for that matter. Know any other relic that can do that?
Since Mr. Nordin is concerned with inaccuracies and mistakes, he should have a look at some of his own errors even though, while mocking the Bible, he stumbles on some truth:
1. "The world is flat," no it’s a globe and Bible says so.
2. "Supported by columns," maybe that is in there but meant figuratively, and I don't remember reading that.
3. "Bats are birds," don't know where that is.
4. "Snakes can talk," assume he is alluding to the serpent, Satan, in the garden with Eve, poor girl. Well, he is right! The problem was not the apple in the tree, but the pair on the ground.
5. "Fish can swallow humans," Right again, if he is alluding to Jonah and the whale. Jesus verified the account!
6. "Light was before the sun," Yes that's right, God commanded light on the first day and it was and is very good!
7. "Sea creatures before plant life," sorry, Mr. Nordin got that wrong. On the second day, God created the grass and plant life and on the fourth and fifth days he created the animals. Two whole days between second and fourth!
8. "A shield of water surrounding the planet before the mythical flood," Well, it was mist, not water, and the flood that occurred was not mythical and the rainbow has been given that the waters will not flood the earth again.
The Bible is an organic, living word, which can change men and I know this to be true because it changed me and it can change Mr. Nordin. Here is one more beautiful Bible verse to establish the fact that the shores are fixed and, in spite of the ECCC, we will be able to walk our sandy beaches this summer and for another 4,000 years, if God tarries.
Jer 5:22 – “Fear ye not me? Saith the Lord: will ye not tremble at my presence, which have placed the sand for the bound of the sea by a perpetual decree, that it cannot pass it: and though the waves thereof toss themselves, yet can they not prevail; though they roar, yet can they pass over it?”