Hawks, Rams skate to 2-2 tie


The La Salle Academy Rams used a late goal by senior Drew Edwards to tie the Bishop Hendricken Hawks in the Ed Walsh Memorial Game on Friday night. The goal, which came with just 19.3 seconds to play in regulation, helped La Salle retain the Ed Walsh trophy that it won in its meeting last season.

“La Salle played a good game,” Hendricken head coach Jim Creamer said. “Both teams played hard, both teams played well. We obviously would like to get a win there, but it is what it is. I’m pretty happy with the performance.”

La Salle attacked the net first, but a shot from Matt Pimental was denied by Hendricken sophomore goaltender Patrick Gribbin. Seconds later, La Salle senior Matt Ernster was thrown in the sin bin, giving Hendricken a power play. The Hawks quickly capitalized. Captain Pat Creamer skated by the net and lifted a backhand past La Salle goalkeeper Andrew Spencer for an unassisted goal, giving the Hawks a 1-0 lead at 3:03 of the first period.

Later in the period, the Hawks tried again, but a turnaround attempt from sophomore Michael DiMascolo was rejected by Spencer. Down the other end, Gribbin made a save on a try from Pimental with 5:32 left.

Gribbin made a stick save later on sophomore defenseman Sean Helfrich and stopped the rebound attempt by another La Salle sniper.

Hendricken struck again when junior forward Peter Krekorian took a pass from Pat Creamer and lit the lamp for the Hawks with 2:53 remaining in the first frame, putting Hendricken up 2-0.

La Salle was on the doorstep with less than a minute to play in the same period, but shots by Ernster, Edwards and Evan McGreen were all blocked by Gribbin.

Early in the second period, Gribbin dismissed an attempt from McGreen. Next, Pat Creamer darted down the ice and fired, but Spencer blocked it with his pads. Moments later, Hendricken’s Jacob Paolino ripped a one-timer, but the shot was turned away by Spencer.

With about four minutes to play in the second, Hendricken’s DiMascolo came out of the penalty box at the perfect time, corralling the loose puck and flying towards the goal before getting denied by Spencer. Seconds later, La Salle senior Logan Liljeberg charged the Hendricken goal and dangled past two defenders before he lost his balance and fired wide.

Hendricken had another opportunity in the second period. With less than three minutes to play, sophomore forward Daniel Cavanagh raced on a fast break, but the La Salle goaltender came out of the goal to knock the puck away. Down the other end, Ernster assisted to junior Ryan Schwender, who put it between the pipes with 2:24 left, pulling La Salle within 2-1.

Early in the third period, Pat Creamer raced towards the net, but Spencer came out to make a save. Next, Gribbin made a stop on wristers from Liljeberg and Robert Doorley.

The game intensified with less than six minutes to play. La Salle’s Liljeberg passed to McGreen whose shot was denied by Gribbin. Next, Pat Creamer and Tyler Brown were denied by Spencer.  

The teams remained on the attack, and with 1:20 left, La Salle pulled its goaltender. It paid off. A minute later, La Salle had the puck and Liljeberg fired wide, but Edwards sniped in the rebound with 19.3 seconds left to even the game at 2.

Pat Creamer took the ensuing faceoff and scurried down the ice before firing on net, but Spencer made a blocker save with 8.3 seconds to play.

The teams went into overtime, but they couldn’t break the tie. Gribbin faced a total of 29 shots, while Spencer faced 23.

Hendricken followed Friday night’s tie with a 3-3 tie against Pope Francis on Saturday.

The Hawks have a break before taking to the ice again on Monday against Notre Dame (Connecticut). The puck will drop at 1 p.m. at Thayer Arena.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment