Cause of death of mother and son found in car still under investigation


Warwick police were still waiting for word from the Rhode Island State Medical Examiner about the cause of death for a Warwick mother and her 3-year-old son who were found in an idling automobile around 8 p.m. on Saturday.

Warwick Police responded to a call at the Fairfax Village Apartment Complex, located at 145 Essex Rd., from a concerned resident who told police the car had been there since noon on Saturday.

On arrival, police located the car, which had apparently been idling for several hours, with 39-year-old Kathleen Frink and her 3-year-old son Ryan inside, both deceased.

Frink lived on Hoxsie Avenue across from Randall Holden School. A visit to the property yesterday found people there, but other than confirming it was Fink’s home, they asked to be left alone to grieve her and her son’s loss.

“We didn’t immediately think of foul play,” said Capt. Robert Nelson of the Warwick Police, “but we won’t be saying anything more until we know more.”

An initial investigation determined that the victims had no friends or relatives at the apartment complex to explain why they were there. Investigators spoke with several residents of the complex and believe the car had been parked at that location since noon Saturday. Investigators reported that someone heard what sounded like a child crying at around 5 p.m. but police were not called at that time.

While there does not appear to be any foul play or trauma involved, the State Medical Examiner’s office will have to determine the cause of death before any conclusion is made. The incident remains under active investigation. According to a release from the police yesterday afternoon, autopsies have been conducted and the preliminary results indicate that there was no trauma to their bodies and no natural diseases were found to be the cause of their deaths. At this point, chemical and biological analysis will be completed to further examine the exact cause of death. No other information is available at this time and the deaths remain under investigation. Based on the autopsy results, no foul play is suspected.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment