City website offers wealth of hurricane preparedness information


With the annual Atlantic hurricane season underway through November, Mayor Scott Avedisian is reminding residents that the city’s website offers a wealth of information to help them prepare and stay informed in the event of a hurricane or tropical storm.

Residents can go online to the city’s main page ( to access a link to the page, or use a direct link ( for the information.

The site offers a number of resources, including the city’s Hurricane Preparedness Guide, information on storm surge dangers, Warwick evacuation maps and shelter locations, forecast models and links to other state and federal resources, including the Rhode Island Emergency Management Agency, the state Department of Health, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the NOAA hurricane center, and the American Red Cross. It also offers links for boaters, those with special needs and pet owners and contains information about emergency shelters, how to decide when to evacuate and how to prepare for coastal floods and hurricanes.

There are also connections to other online information, including disaster supply kits, what to do before and during hurricanes, how to protect one’s property and hurricane hazards.

“Although NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center is still predicting a 50 percent chance of a near-normal hurricane season, earlier this month they updated the outlook from their original forecast in May to show an increased chance of an above-normal season [35 percent] and decreased chance of a below-normal season [to only 15 percent],” Avedisian said in a statement. “I urge residents to take advantage of this resource now so that, should we be affected by a hurricane or tropical storm, they will be prepared.”


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment