Police Log - Mad motorcyclist



Officer Kevin McGuire was dispatched to Post Road and Elmwood Avenue on August 6 at 10:12 p.m. for a check condition call. As he was headed to the scene he observed a blue pickup truck traveling southbound in the breakdown lane of the northbound lane on Post Road on the wrong side of the median.

According to the report, the truck passed the officer on the right, at which time Officer McGuire turned and followed. He observed the driver proceeding at a high rate of speed while continuing on the wrong side of the median. As the truck approached the Lincoln Avenue intersection, it abruptly turned right to get back on the correct side of the road.

Officer McGuire estimated that the truck was traveling over 80 miles an hour as it continued south on Post Road. He also observed the truck weave in and out of traffic before slowing and turning onto Coronado Road. As the officer made the turn he noticed a silver Toyota in the middle of the intersection with heavy rear end damage, and appeared that it had been struck by the truck. The officer then radioed for assistance for the Toyota as he continued pursuit.

The chase continued onto Kilvert Street, with the driver maintaining a high rate of speed. The truck eventually turned into a parking lot at 405 Kilvert Street and stopped as its tire was flat. Other officers were called to the scene for backup.

The driver, later identified as Tyler Leonard, 21, of 13 Dambrosca Court, Apt. 2 in West Warwick, appeared to bend over in the front seat. The officer then drew his firearm and yelled at Leonard to exit the vehicle with his hands up. Leonard complied and was eventually handcuffed on the ground. No weapons were found after a search was conducted.

Leonard eventually consented to a standardized field sobriety test as he showed signs of intoxication and smelled of alcohol, according to the police report. Based on the officer’s experience and training, it was determined that Leonard was unfit to operate a motor vehicle safely. He was transported to police headquarters.

At the station he told officers that he had been at Grid Iron Tavern where he had a rum and Coke, and that it was his first time ever drinking. When asked about his driving he stated that his friends were in an altercation at the bar and he was afraid because someone said the police were coming.

Leonard consented to a chemical breathalyzer test, which produce blood alcohol content readings of 0.177 and 0.176 percent. Background checks revealed that Leonard had an outstanding warrant for failure to appear on a domestic disorderly charge. He was charged with duty to stop accident resulting in personal injury, driving under the influence first offence, reckless driving, no insurance, obedience to traffic control devices, display of registration plates as there were covers obstructing them, speeding, laned roadway violations, turn signal required and interior light operated during a police stop.


On August 6 at approximately 4:20 p.m., Officer Christopher Gillis was on routine patrol on Ives Road when he observed a blue Dodge Neon cross over the road’s double yellow lines.

A traffic stop was initiated and contact was made with the driver, identified as Jonathan Rollins, 24, of 180 Sunbury Street in Providence. The car was occupied by five individuals and the officer obtained identification from all, according to the report. 

While speaking with the occupants, Officer Gillis noticed a strong odor, which he believed to be burned marijuana. He then asked if any marijuana was in the car, and was told that there was not. Officer Aaron Kay then arrived on scene to provide assistance. Background checks were also conducted on each passenger.

Rollins and his passengers were then asked to step out of the vehicle one by one. Each was patted down and then asked to step to the side of the roadway while a search of the Neon was conducted.

Numerous drug paraphernalia was discovered in the center console along with a rolled marijuana cigarette in the dash under the radio. A container was also found which contained plant material consistent with marijuana, according to the police narrative.

Eventually Rollins stated that the marijuana belonged to him and that his passengers had nothing to do with it. He was issued a violation for possession of less than an ounce of marijuana. The cannabis was then seized.


Officer Daniel O’Connell was dispatched to a Warwick Avenue residence in the

Officer David Thompson was dispatched to a Potowomut Road residence on August 10 at approximately 9 a.m. for another malicious damage complaint.

At the scene the officer was advised by the reporting party that she had contacted AAA as she went to her car and found that it had two flat tires. When AAA arrived, the driver told her that the tires had been slashed. The resident explained that she had parked her car on Littlefield Drive around 1 a.m., and had no knowledge of any problems with anyone that would cause them to damage her car.

The car was towed from the scene for repairs. Currently there are no suspects or witnesses.


At 4:44 p.m. on August 10, Officer Thomas Duncan was dispatched to the intersection of Greenwich Avenue and Metro Center Boulevard for a vandalism to a car complaint.

Upon arrival the officer spoke with the complainant, who stated that while driving south on Greenwich Avenue an unknown motorcyclist attempted to drive in between vehicles on the roadway. When the motorcycle driver approached her vehicle and could not get through he became irate. The unknown man began to yell and then punched her passenger’s side mirror before driving off.

The motorcyclist was described as a younger white male wearing a lime green shirt with a black helmet with a GoPro camera on top. The motorcycle was described as all black, but no plate number was obtained.

The area was checked but police were unable to locate a suspect. At this time there is not enough evidence to follow up with the case.


Officer Thomas Duncan was dispatched to 400 Bald Hill Road on August 10 around 8:48 p.m. for a larceny complaint. At the scene he spoke with a resident who informed him that on that day he parked his car and when he returned he found someone had taken his drivers side hubcaps from both the front and rear of the car.

The vehicle did not appear damaged in any other way, and the victim stated he had no idea who would have taken the covers. There are no suspects or witnesses, and at this time there is not enough evidence to move forward with the case.


On August 7 around 7:30 p.m. Officer Jill Marshall was dispatched to the Aldi on Quaker Lane for a shoplifting that had occurred that evening.

At the store the officer met with a shift manager, who said that at approximately 7 p.m. two men came into the store. After five minutes, the men left with a full cart of unpaid merchandise. One of the suspects who walked out with the cart was described as a light skinned bald male wearing a gray t-shirt and dark shorts with gray high top sneakers, approximately 6 feet tall and around 200 pounds.

A partial license plate number for the red PT Cruiser used by the suspects was obtained and provided to Officer Marshall. The manager believed that around $350 worth of merchandise had been taken, including meat and frozen shrimp. She also believed that the two suspects also shoplifted from the Aldi location in Cranston the previous week.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment