Police Log



According to a Warwick Police Department Facebook post on November 22, officers are seeking the public’s assistance in identifying a suspected jewelry thief. 

According to their post, on November 18 sometime between 10 and 10:30 a.m., a suspect entered Baxter’s Fine Jewelry at 200 Jefferson Boulevard and spent several minutes looking at various pieces of jewelry. He then took a 14-karat diamond bracelet, worth over $4,000, and concealed it in his jacket pocket.  

The suspect advised the store’s clerk that he left his wallet at home and left the store, where he then entered a tan older model four-door vehicle and drove off the lot. It also appeared that a second subject was in the passenger seat of the car. The suspect is described as a white male, bald, wearing some type of badge or object on his belt.

Those with information regarding the theft are asked to contact Detective Jeffery Viveiros at 401-468-4248.


On November 11 at approximately 2:18 a.m., Officer Timothy Tavares was dispatched to the intersection of Elmwood and Third Avenues along with Officer Derek Mourato for a report of a single car accident where the vehicle crashed into a telephone pole. While en route, dispatch advised that the Warwick Fire Department was on scene for possible injuries.

Arriving at the accident scene, Officer Tavares observed a green Honda Accord located in front of Columbus Door that had heavy front end damage. The telephone pole was snapped at its base, however the driver, who was still in the vehicle, appeared to be uninjured and began to exit the vehicle as he approached.

Officer Tavaras made contact with the operator, identified as Edgar Quezada, 22, of 701 Dyer Avenue in Cranston, who stated that he was not hurt in the crash. Quezada stated to the officer that another vehicle had cut in front of him, which caused him to swerve and hit the pole.

While speaking with Quezada, Officer Tavares noticed that his eyes were extremely watery and moderately bloodshot, that his speech was slightly slurred and that there was a slight odor of alcohol emanating from his breath. He appeared to be shaken up but otherwise calm. When asked if he had anything to drink or if he had taken any drugs that evening, Quezada told the officer that he did not.

A witness on scene told the officer that, while he was traveling north on Elmwood Avenue, he noticed the Quezada’s vehicle approaching him from the south while swerving in and out of his lane and then strike the pole.

Warwick Fire personnel cleared Quezada medically and allowed Officer Tavaras to continue his interview. He then asked Quezada to submit to a series of standardized field sobriety tests, which he agreed to.

Based on Quezada’s performance during the tests, and on Officer Tavaras’ experience, it was determined that he was unfit to operate a motor vehicle. He was handcuffed and transported to police headquarters, where he later refused a breathalyzer test.

Quezada was issued a summons for driving under the influence, first offense, and refusal to submit to a chemical breathalyzer test. He was later released to his parents.


On November 14 around 2:30 p.m., Officer Manuel Pacheco and Jonathan Reiff were dispatched to the Bald Hill Road Target for a report of shoplifting with a suspect in custody.

The two officers met with the store’s loss prevention officer, who stated that at approximately 1:05 p.m. he observed a male suspect, later identified as Timothy Craven, 60, of 100 Arthur Street, Apt. #214, Cranston, enter the hardware department and select a Black and Decker tool, valued at $79.99, and place it in his carriage. Craven then made his way to the bedding department, where he selected a comforter, electric blanket, pillowcases and a sheet set with a combined value of $232.95. He spent about 30 minutes in that department ripping off the UPC labels of the bedding selections in his carriage. Craven then proceeded to guest services, where he requested some empty Target bags. He then filled those bags with the merchandise and proceeded to exit the store without paying.

Craven was handcuffed, secured in the police cruiser, and transported to police headquarters. He later complained of chest pain, and a rescue was called to transport him to Kent Hospital. At the time the report was filed, Craven was being held on one count of felony shoplifting.


A vehicle clocked going 46 miles per hour in a 35 mile per hour zone on Warwick Avenue was pulled over by Officer Ali Jaafar on November 18 at approximately 11:23 p.m. Upon running a query on the vehicle’s license plate, it was discovered that the registration was no longer active.

Officer Jaafar met with the driver, identified as Markell Douthit, 32, of 50 Clamense Street in Cranston. A background check revealed that he did not possess a valid driver’s license and also had active bench warrants from the Third District Court.

Douthit was placed under arrest after his identity was confirmed through a mug shot from a previous arrest. He was transported to police headquarters and later transferred to the Adult Correctional Institution without incident due to lack of funds for bail.


Officer Walter Larson initiated a traffic stop on Bald Hill Road on November 11 around 6:30 p.m. after he noticed a white Chevy Impala with a crooked rear license plate with a burned out plate light.

Upon running a background check on the car’s license plate it was discovered that the registration belonged to a silver GMC vehicle, not an Impala. After he met the driver, identified as Ingrid Grajeda, 35, of 820 Atwells Avenue in Providence, Officer Larson asked for her driver’s license, insurance and registration. Grajeda provided an Ohio license and told the officer that she had been staying at the Atwells Avenue address and had not yet updated her information. Advised of the reason for the stop, Grajeda said she understood and handed the officer a loaner car agreement that was dated in September. According to the report, it was supposed to be returned after one-week rental. Grajeda was not able to provide proof of insurance.

Additional background checks verified that the Ohio license that Grajeda provided was suspended. The vehicle she was driving also did not have an inspection sticker.

Grajeda was issued violations for her suspended license, no insurance, and for the inspection sticker. Her license was seized and another licensed operator arrived on scene to drive the vehicle away.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment