Police Log



On May 2 at 6:27 p.m. at the intersection of Warwick and Church Avenues, a minivan traveling south on Warwick Ave was turning left and collided with a motorcycle heading north.

According to police reports, the minivan was driven by Deborah Brown, 67, from Webb Avenue in Warwick, who was not injured in the crash. Robert Brierly, 28, of Manor Road in Cranston, was operating the motorcycle and was transported to Rhode Island Hospital with serious injuries. He was listed in critical condition as of 7:30 a.m. on May 3.

There is currently no indication of alcohol or drug impairment by either operator. The Warwick Police Department Crash Recon Team is investigating to determine specific facts and causes of the accident, and if speed and/or distracted driving were factors. No charges have been filed and investigation continues.


Officer Michael Walker met with a complainant in the parking lot of the Centerville Road Washington Trust branch on April 26 at approximately 8:10 a.m. for a report of a damaged vehicle.

The caller informed the officer that he parked his company’s van in the lot at approximately 5 p.m. the previous evening. When he returned the next morning, he found that the driver’s side window had been broken. There did not appear to be anything missing from inside the van.

The bank’s security cameras did not capture the incident on film, but the company wishes to pursue criminal charges if a suspect is found.


A fraud victim responded to police headquarters on April 28 at approximately 11 a.m. to file a police report with Officer Rose Michael.

The man explained to the officer that after reviewing his TD Bank checking account statement, he noticed the account was compromised. The statement showed multiple transactions in New York on April 24. The complainant contacted the financial institution and informed them of the suspicious activity. His debit card was then cancelled and the pending transactions were denied by the bank.

The card was not stolen, nor did anyone have access to it other than the owner. He stated that he did not authorize anyone to use the card. He stated he filed a claim with TD Bank and they requested that he also file a police report as they further investigate the claim.


On March 28 at approximately 4:38 p.m., Officer Michael Walker met with a man at police headquarters for a report of a stolen cell phone.

According to the report, the man told Officer Walker that he went to the Kent County YMCA at approximately 12:15 p.m. that day to play basketball. He placed his personal belongings, including a black 128 GB iPhone 7, on a bench. When he returned approximately an hour later, he noticed that his phone was missing.

The victim told the officer that he had used an application to track the phone, and called a number listed for the address. A person answered and stated there was no phone there and that nobody goes to the YMCA before the call was lost. The man indicated he would press charges if a suspect is located.


Around 6:23 a.m. on April 25, Officer David Boardman responded to the Post Road Comfort Inn in regards to a larceny from a work van.

At the scene, the officer observed that the van’s rear driver’s side window had been smashed. The van’s operator stated he returned to the vehicle around 6:10 a.m. and noticed the damage and that various items had been stolen. Among the missing items were a Dsmao ultrasonic machine, calibration items, harnesses and safety equipment. The total estimated value of the missing items was $2,250.

Officer Boardman spoke with Comfort Inn security, which stated that the larceny most likely took place around 4:30 a.m., as the guard had conducted a patrol of the lot around 3:30 p.m. and did not notice anything suspicious.

It was later discovered that a total of three cars in the lot had been broken into, however the owners of the other two cars were not on scene and out of town. The reports were forwarded to detectives for review.


On April 25 at approximately 10:56 p.m., Officer Kevin McGuire was dispatched to the TeamWorks facility on Jefferson Boulevard for a report of a car that had its tires and rims stolen.

Upon arrival, the officer met with the reporting party who stated that she arrived at TeamWorks at 7:50 p.m. and parked in the lot at the south side of the building. When she finished her soccer match and returned to her car, she found all four wheels and rims, valued at $1,600, were missing.

An employee of the facility informed the officer that, because of the rain, there was no clear video surveillance of the larceny. He did state that he observed a gray Dodge Dakota truck in the lot several times in the past that looked suspicious, and that four or five males are in the vehicle as it moves around to different spots in the area. A license plate number was provided, and the report was forwarded to detectives for follow-up.


Officer Sokphannareth Chea was dispatched to the Greenwich Avenue Lowes on March 16 around 4 p.m. for a report of a shoplifting that had occurred on March 8.

There he met with a member of the store’s loss prevention team, who stated that a male known as Eric Tretton, 30, of 85 Birkshire Drive in Warwick entered the store at 2:21 p.m. He purchased a faucet and a garbage disposal, then exited the store and entered a grey vehicle. He later came back to the store wearing a darker jacket. He then allegedly selected the same model faucet and disposal, and left the store without making any attempt to pay for the merchandise.

Security advised that Tretton had entered a number of Lowe’s locations throughout the state, and that he had been previously identified as a result of an incident at another store.

Video surveillance was obtained for evidence, as well as a receipt for the $557 worth of merchandise taken from the store. On March 21, a photo lineup was presented to store security, who positively identified Tretton from the provided pictures. A warrant was then issued for Tretton’s arrest.

On April 27 at approximately 9:32 p.m., officers were dispatched to the Lincoln State Police barracks to pick up Tretton, who had been picked up by the State Police. He was transported back to Warwick police headquarters for the misdemeanor shoplifting charge, and held for the bail commissioner.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment