Hawks remain perfect


The Bishop Hendricken football team remained undefeated with a 38-7 victory over East Providence Friday night in the Hawks’ first divisional home game of the season.

The Hawks were led by senior running back Remington Blue, who rushed for 203 yards in the game, including 139 in the first half, and two touchdowns.

Hendricken struck first on its second offensive possession when quarterback Patrick Gill found junior Lee Moses for a 65-yard touchdown pass, putting the Hawks up 6-0 after a failed extra point attempt.

Then it was Blue’s turn to take over. He broke off a 30-yard run and took the Hendricken offense down to East Providence’s 3-yard line, before punching it into the end zone to give the Hawks a 13-0 lead.

After the Townies made it a 13-7 game with a long touchdown run on the next possession, Blue answered back with a 38-yard touchdown run with just under two minutes left in the first half, giving his team a 20-7 lead at the break.

“He’s our workhorse,” Hendricken head coach Keith Croft said of his senior running back. “We know when we block and execute and he gets free in the open field he’s tough to tackle. It’s a combination of linemen and fullbacks blocking as well. For the most part, our blocking was pretty good today, especially with a few starters out on the offensive line.”

The Hawks came out in the second half and executed their opening drive perfectly, marching down the field before junior running back Terrence Gibbs found the end zone for a 1-yard touchdown – his first at the varsity level – pushing the Hendricken lead to 26-7.

“We made it a point at halftime to look back on our big second half at South Kingstown last week,” Croft said. “The first drive of the second half was huge. We came out committed to run the ball and move the chains. We had a few key passes too and got in the end zone when we had to.”

Just after the midway point of the third quarter, Hendricken’s Power Kanga had a big run to put his team at the 1-yard line before crossing the goal line on the next play for his first score of the game, making it 32-7.

The Hawks got their last touchdown with 36 seconds remaining in the third quarter when senior wide receiver John Larkin recovered a fumble in the end zone following a 34-yard run by James Sauro, stretching the lead to 38-7.

A common theme for Hendricken in the victory was their ability to have a number of effective running backs, as Blue, Gibbs, and Kanga accounted for four out of six of the Hawks’ touchdowns.

“We had a lot of guys that touched the ball today, which we want because they’re all considered playmakers,” Croft said. “The bad news with that is it’s tough to get one guy 10 or 15 touches. But from a defensive standpoint, I’m sure it’s tough to defend.”

The Hawks will look to remain unbeaten next Friday, as they travel to Tolman to take on the 0-3 Tigers at 7 p.m. at Pariseau Field.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment