Home fire thought to have electrical cause


No one was injured in a fire that sent flames through the second story windows of a single family home at 237 Samuel Gorton Avenue Jan. 5 at about 6:30 p.m.

Police officer Manuel M. Pacheco, who was among the first responders to the scene, said he tried the doors to the residence but they were locked. He said a neighbor identified as Glenn Rosera said the resident drives a truck and as there was no truck, he believed no one was home.

The fire was spotted by Melissa Cole who said she saw smoke coming from the house as she was driving to her home on Park Avenue. She then informed Rosera who confirmed what she thought was smoke and called 911.

According to the report of Police Officer Michelle Caron, who also responded to the fire, she talked with David Brennan, 41, who identified himself as the resident of the house. Brennan told Caron he had been home earlier in the late afternoon cleaning and doing laundry and had left to go to the Warwick Mall. He told police he received a call from his cousin at about 6:30 that his house was on fire.

The property, Brennan said, belongs to Alice Scott who he called to advise her of the situation.

According to Pacheco, after the fire was extinguished a fire inspector arrived on the scene and determined there was nothing suspicious. The cause of the fire is believed to be electrical according to the police report.

A visit to the property on Saturday found the house boarded up and no sign of anyone.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment