CITY OF WARWICK
ORDINANCE NO. O-16-21
APPROVED SCOTT AVEDISIAN
August 15, 2016 MAYOR
ORDER ON THE ABANDONMENT OF A PORTION OF
JB, LLC, PETITIONER
In the matter of the abandonment of a portion of Colorado Road described on Exhibit A attached hereto, it appearing that due notice by advertisement and as described below, has been made in accordance with the provisions of Chapter 6 of Title 24, General Laws 1956 and all amendments and additions thereto, and after giving opportunity to the owners of land abutting upon the hereinafter described portion of Colorado Road to speak for or against such abandonment and as to the damage, if any, they shall sustain thereby, and after due consideration thereof, it is hereby
1. That the portion of Colorado Road described on Exhibit A attached hereto be abandoned for the reason that said premises have ceased to be useful to the public as a highway or driftway.
2. That it is the judgment of the City Council of Warwick that no owner of land abutting on that portion of Colorado Road has suffered any damage because of such abandonment, and for this reason the City Council awards no compensation to said abutting owners.
3. That signs shall be placed at each end of that portion of Colorado Road having thereon the words “NOT A PUBLIC HIGHWAY”.
4. That notice of this order shall be advertised in a newspaper of general circulation, printed in English, and further that personal notice of same shall be served upon every owner of land abutting upon that portion of Colorado Road as herein described who is known to reside in this State.
5. That the City Clerk be and she is hereby authorized and directed to cause notice to be given in accordance with the provisions hereof, and the Highway Department is hereby authorized and directed to erect and place signs referred to herein.
6. The City of Warwick hereby reserves for itself, its successors and assigns, a perpetual easement over and under the abandoned portion of Colorado Road for the purpose of constructing, installing, repairing and replacing of utilities, sewers, drains and for any other purposes.
7. Petitioner shall prepare an administrative subdivision for City Assessor’s Plat 282, Assessor’s Lots 75, 162, & 196 along with the portion of land acquired by the State of RI meeting the standards set forth in the “Development Review Regulations Governing Subdivisions, Land Development Projects and Development Plan Review” must be completed by the Applicant and recorded within 120 days of final passage of this Order of Abandonment. Any proposed improvements shall require all applicable local or state permits.
8. Pursuant to R.I.G.L. 24-6-1 and Sec. 1-13 of the Code of Ordinances, an appraisal of the fair market value of the abandoned roadway was conducted and based upon that appraisal the Petitioner shall pay $31,500.00 to the City of Warwick.
Entered as an Order of the City Council this 18th day of July, 2016.
COMMITTEE: LAND USE
Judy Wild, City Clerk
8/23, 8/30, 9/6/16