Police Log



Officer Michael Harris was on a fixed traffic post located at 700 Quaker Lane at the Met Life Insurance Company at approximately 1:09 a.m. on April 13 when he observed a vehicle operating southbound on Quaker Lane travel through a clearly red traffic signal at his location. Harris said he followed the vehicle and conducted a traffic stop on Quaker Lane in the area of the Route 95 South on-ramp. Harris said when he spoke to the driver, he detected the strong odor of an alcoholic beverage emanating throughout the vehicle. Harris said when a female passenger leaned over and dropped a debit card in the driver’s lap, saying, “Here, take my license,” it was apparent she, too, was heavily intoxicated. When asked why he didn’t stop at the light, the man said, “I have no reason, I guess I’m ignorant,” then said, “I’m guilty.” Harris said he asked the driver if he had been drinking, to which the man said he left a wedding at approximately 11 p.m., where he had approximately five hard alcohol mixed drinks, then responded to his place of work at Smokey Bones Restaurant on Bald Hill Road, where he continued to drinking until closing time at 1 a.m. The man said he had approximately seven to eight alcoholic beverages throughout the evening. When Harris asked the man for his license, registration and proof of insurance, he said the man was able to produce an R.I. registration but the insurance card for the vehicle was expired. After calling for assistance, Harris had the man exit the vehicle and administered a field sobriety test, which had to be stopped for his safety, as he was swaying and unable to keep his balance. Roy J. Lautieri, 33, of 1 Arbor Dr., Coventry was arrested and transported to police headquarters, where he refused to submit to a chemical test and was placed in a cell. Lautieri was issued two citations pertaining to the incident: a summons for DUI/Drugs/Alcohol first offense and a summons for Refusal to Submit to Chemical Test first offense to appear in Third District Court, as well as a violation for Obedience to a Traffic Control Device for running the red light and a violation for Operating a Motor Vehicle Without Evidence of Insurance. Lautieri was later released to a sober adult. The female passenger in the vehicle, identified as Lautieri’s wife, was transported to Kent Hospital for detox without incident and the vehicle was towed from the scene.


Officer Michael Harris was on routine patrol in a marked police cruiser operating southbound on Main Avenue in the area of Greeley Avenue at approximately 2:09 a.m. on April 9 when he observed a vehicle on Bedford Avenue that appeared to be stopped with its lights on in the roadway. Harris said he made his way behind the vehicle and observed that it was a pickup truck that was running with its lights on and exhaust coming from the exhaust pipe. He also observed a cracked left rear tail light, before putting his spotlight on the vehicle inside the cab area, and after several seconds of seeing no movement, then observed a white male pop up from the driver’s side seat as if he had been slouched down.

According to the report, at this point, the driver began driving away, so Harris activated his overhead lights and began following the vehicle, which failed to stop and pull over for approximately 50 yards. Harris said he had to activate his siren to get the truck to pull over. When he made contact with the driver, Harris said he immediately observed the odor of an alcoholic beverage. When he asked the driver why his truck was in the roadway not moving, the man said he pulled over to text on his cell phone, and then grabbed his phone and stuck it out the window, saying, “See, this is what I was doing.” Harris then asked the man if he had consumed any alcohol that evening, and he said he had one Coors Light at 11 p.m. after a softball game. He then picked up a Dunkin’ Donuts Coffee Coolatta and said, “This is all I have been drinking since.” He then took a sip and stuck the coffee toward the window area. Harris said he observed the man to be acting very nervous, shaking and avoiding eye contact. Harris then asked the man if he thought he was intoxicated, to which he replied, “If you think I am, I can get a ride.” Harris then asked the man for his license, registration and proof of insurance but the man was only able to provide a valid license and registration; the insurance certificate was expired. After calling for assistance, Harris again asked the man how much he had to drink that day, and this time he said three to four Coors Lights. Harris asked him to exit the vehicle, but as he did so, he had to use the driver’s door to brace himself and appeared unsteady on his feet. Harris then asked the man to submit to field sobriety tests but he refused all tests on scene. Based on observations, contact with the driver, and the circumstances, Harris said Daniel J. Matteson, 43, of 94 Stone Ave., Warwick was taken into custody for suspicion of driving under the influence. He was handcuffed, searched and placed in the back of Harris’ cruiser. While detained in the cruiser, Harris said he and Officer Javier Cabreja conducted a motor vehicle inventory search of Matteson’s vehicle, during which, several possible steroid and narcotic drugs were discovered in the center console of the vehicle, which were seized and brought back to police headquarters, along with Matteson. Officer Cabreja stayed at the scene to await a tow for Matteson’s vehicle. Once at the station, Harris said Matteson refused a chemical test and was placed in a cell while he and Sergeant John Choquette worked to identify the suspicious narcotic type items that had been seized from Matteson’s vehicle. Harris said one of the items taken from the vehicle was a white oval pill with the distinct marking M357 on the side, which, based on research through drugs.com, was identified as acetaminophen/hydrocodone, a Schedule III drug. Based on this item alone, Matteson was charged with possession of a Schedule III drug. Also seized were: a small glass bottle with the marking pronilon 100, which research showed was a steroid for veterinary use; a glass bottle with the marking purchase-peptides with the distinct marking on the bottom, “not for human consumption” (Harris said it was unclear what the item was at the time); another bottle taken was a Purity Solutions liothyronin sodium, a purple glass bottle, the contents of which were also unclear at the time; and finally a white pill-type bottle with an unknown white powder inside, with markings on the outside that say “For Dan” with a smiley face written in pen. Harris said all suspected drugs were placed in the evidence mailbox for toxicology. Based on the circumstances and charges, Harris said Matteson was processed and held for the next session of Third District Court. He was issued three violations pertaining to the event, including refusal to submit to a chemical test, tail lamps required and places where parking/stopping prohibited; operating a motor vehicle without evidence of insurance; and DUI drugs/alcohol second offense, as it was determined Matteson had been found guilty and fined of DUI first offense within the five-year allotment.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment