Police Log



Officer Quentin Tavares was dispatched to the J.C. Penney at 400 Bald Hill Road at approximately 5:07 p.m. on April 21 for a report of shoplifting. Tavares said prior to his arrival he was advised that loss prevention had two adult females in custody. Upon arrival, Tavares met with a loss prevention agent who told him she observed two females enter the Juniors department, where each selected pairs of earrings and concealed them in a purse and sweatshirt. She then observed the women select more pairs of earrings, along with pairs of shorts, and go into the fitting the room, exit and put the shorts back. Upon looking in the fitting room, the loss prevention agent said she found plastic cards that had contained the earrings but no earrings. After the women exited the store, loss prevention said they confronted the women and escorted them back inside to the loss prevention office, where the concealed merchandise was recovered. Alexandra R. Fusaro, 19, of 10 Grace Ave. in Warwick, who had allegedly taken $27 worth of earrings, and Kelly Barnes, 18, of 900 Post Road, Apt. #65 in Warwick, who had allegedly taken $24 worth of earrings, were each arrested and transported to Warwick Police headquarters, where they were fingerprinted, photographed and processed. Tavares said Fusaro and Barnes were each charged with one count of shoplifting and released on a Third District Court summons.



Officer Scott Chanthaphouvong reported that members of the Warwick Police Department were dispatched to the Sears department store at 650 Bald Hill Road at approximately 12:45 p.m. on April 17 in reference to a shoplifting in progress. Chanthaphouvong said the suspect, identified as a Hispanic male wearing a black hoodie, red hat and camo pants, was running toward the river. He said the merchandise, consisting of two pairs of Levi jeans valued at $58 each, was recovered by loss prevention. Chanthaphouvong said he advised dispatch to provide the suspect’s description to state police, as two detail officers were in the area of Route 295. He said a state trooper working a highway detail detained the suspect and transported him to the area of the Sears store, where loss prevention identified him as the shoplifting suspect and wished to press charges. Francisco J. Recinos Jr., 21, of 95 Harold St. in Providence, was placed under arrest and transported to Warwick Police headquarters, where he was processed. Chanthaphouvong said Recinos admitted to having “shoplifted in exchange for food.” According to a report from the Sears loss prevention agent, he observed two males, one later identified as Recinos who was wearing the camo pants and black hooded sweatshirt, who entered the Jeans Department and walked around suspiciously before Recinos carried out two pairs of jeans from the store, passing all points of purchase and making no attempt to pay for the merchandise. Recinos was charged with one count of misdemeanor shoplifting and released with a Third District Court summons.


Officer Evan Brent was traveling northbound on Greenwich Avenue in the area of Bragger Street at approximately 12:29 a.m. on April 30 when he observed a pickup truck traveling southbound on Greenwich Avenue at 54 mph in a posted 40 mph zone. Brent said he observed the truck drift from lane to lane before activating his emergency lights and siren to conduct a traffic stop, and as the truck pulled over, he said it almost hit another vehicle. As he approached the vehicle to obtain the driver’s license, registration and proof of insurance, Brent said he detected the odor of an alcoholic beverage coming from inside the vehicle. While fumbling with the paperwork, which the driver dropped several times, Brent said he asked the man where he was coming from, to which he reportedly replied Miller’s Crossing Bar. When asked if he had anything to drink that night, the man said he had three to four beers. Brent said the man’s speech was slurred and his eyes were watery and bloodshot. Brent said he had the man exit the vehicle and submit to a series of standard field sobriety tests, which the man refused to complete, reportedly saying he was “too drunk to do so” and that Brent should arrest him for DUI because he was “too drunk to complete the test.” Tyler Morgan, 24, of 122 Waterman Ave. in North Providence, was arrested for suspicion of operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of intoxicating liquor and/or drugs and transported to Warwick police headquarters. At headquarters, Brent said Morgan agreed to submit to a chemical breath test. After waiting the required 15 minutes before administering the test, Brent said Morgan provided two breath samples that registered a .221 percent blood alcohol content (BAC) and a .215 percent BAC, but due to an error during data entry causing the intoxilyzer 9000 machine to request the sample prematurely, Brent said the test cycle was aborted and all forms were printed and retained for records. While at the station, Brent said Morgan admitted to having three to four 23-ounce beers, and that he had been stopped by police multiple times, in six different states, while driving drunk and had been let go each time. Brent said Morgan told him this was the first time he had been arrested for driving while intoxicated. Morgan was processed and charged with DUI of liquor or drugs first offense, with a mandatory District Court date. He was also charged with the following violations with mandatory R.I. Traffic Tribunal court dates: speeding; taillights required; operating a motor vehicle with a suspended registration; laned roadway violations; and no license on person exhibited on demand. Morgan was later released to a sober adult.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment