Police Log


The Police Log is a digest of reports filed by the Warwick Police.

Officer William Castaldi reported a car being “keyed” in the parking lot of Gold’s Gym on Bald Hill Road on Dec. 13. The owner of a small 2011 GMC truck told Castaldi he parked is car in the lot around 11:30 a.m. and found a foot-long gouge in the paint of the driver’s side door. No suspects or witnesses.
A Mawney Avenue resident told Officer James Vible she parked her Dodge Charger in the driveway around 10:30 p.m. on Dec. 10 and returned to it the next day to find someone had carved a gouge in the paint that covered the length of both sides of her car, the top of the hood and the top of the trunk. The woman said she had no enemies she was aware of and had not been in any arguments or disputes with anyone. No witnesses.

Officer Robert Canis-Langlois reported that the windshield on Brendard Avenue had been hit with a cinder block sometime overnight on Dec. 9. Both the windshield and the dashboard of the 1997 Honda were damaged by the cinder block. The owner of the home told Canis-Langlais the car actually belonged to his brother and that they have had problems in the past of landscape lights being stolen and the car being egged but could not name any suspects or witnesses.

A manager at the Shannon View Inn told police they discovered a broken window in the front door glass on Dec. 7. There were no witnesses or suspects but the manager did find a pellet just outside of the door that was probably what broke the window.

A Waverly Street man told police he last saw his Harley-Davidson Shovelhead “with lots of chrome, long upsweep pipes and small apes with a springer front end” two days before Thanksgiving but when he went into the shed where he kept it on Dec. 9, it was gone. He said it was a 1982 with a 1960s style “sissy bar” and that it used to be green before he painted it black. He told Officer Robert Canis-Langlais he had over “$10,000 into the motorcycle.” No witnesses or suspects. The report was forwarded to detectives.

Officer Manuel Pacheco reported going to the U-Haul office on Oakland Beach Avenue on Dec. 11 for a report of a missing trailer. The manager told Pacheco that an auto transport trailer was missing from between Building A and Building B on the Sweet Street side of property. She said an accounting check indicated that the trailer had not been rented and had not been moved. She said, to be cautious, she checked with corporate headquarters and some independent dealers hoping to account for the missing trailer since Nov. 30 with no success and concluded it was stolen and it was time to call the police. She said it was 19-feet-long and can hold 7,500 pounds. She said a check of their video surveillance determined that the trailer was out of range of their lens and that there was no video of the trailer being pulled in or out of the lot. She said the car was returned from a prior rental on Nov. 27 but she did not notice it was gone until Nov. 30. No suspects or witnesses.

Idris Abdul-Karim, 26, of 497 Pleasant St. in Pawtucket was charged with stealing a cell phone from the Wal-Mart on Post Road Dec. 10. Loss prevention told police the phone was worth $100. She was later released with a summons.

Luann Webster, 54, of 43 Village Green North in East Providence was charged with stealing $459.98 worth of clothing from Macy’s in the Warwick Mall on Dec. 4. Loss prevention told police she concealed the four high-end sweaters in a shopping bag before leaving the store without paying for them. She was later released with a summons.

Vivian Argueta, 19, of 11 Cedar Pond Dr. in Warwick was charged with stealing two pieces of jewelry and a dress from Macy’s on Dec. 7. Loss prevention said they had the Macy’s employee on tape as she took the goods to her register and put them in a bag after she removed the security tag from the dress. Loss prevention said Argueta admitted prior thefts as well but the store had been paid back for those items. She was charged with just the Dec. 7 incident. She was later released with a summons.

Officer Patrick Smith reported he was on patrol around 2:50 a.m. on Dec. 2 when he clocked a car doing 47 miles per hour on Airport Road but also turned its lights on and off. He said he followed it down Harmony Court and saw it run a stop sign at Count Fleet and Cavalcade and then go down Lake Shore onto Warwick Avenue where Smith pulled it over. He said the driver appeared to be intoxicated and smelled strongly of alcohol. He said the driver agreed to a field sobriety test after admitting he had too much to drink and failed the test. He was then taken to headquarters where he registered a .210 and a .206 blood alcohol content. George C. Chiarillo, 28, of 34 Ticonderoga Dr. in Warwick was charged with DUI, running a stop sign and speeding and later released to a sober adult.

Officer Matthew Moretti reported he was on a traffic post at Groveland Avenue around 5:20 p.m. on Dec. 7 when he saw an SUV go through the red light on Main Avenue. He said he went after the SUV and saw it swerve between lanes before he stopped near St. Rose of Lima Church. He said the vehicle pulled up onto the sidewalk. He said the driver appeared to be intoxicated and the interior smelled of burnt marijuana. He said the man admitted he used other drugs that day, including Xanax, and failed the field sobriety test. Moretti said the man refused to submit to a blood test. Matthew T. Martin, 25, of 134 Ryan Ave. in Warwick was charged with DUI and refusal and running a red light and driving an unregistered car and later released to a sober adult.

Officer Jacob Elderkin reported a broadcast about a suspected DUI on Cowesett Road around 6:40 p.m. on Dec. 3. The reporting party said the blue 2011 Jaguar had reached the Sunoco station on Route 2 and pulled in there. He said the car was attempting to leave the gas station when he arrived but was stopped.

Elderkin said the driver appeared to be intoxicated and smelled of alcohol. He said the driver failed the field sobriety test and was taken to headquarters where he refused to take a breath test. Steven A. Whitcomb, 64, of 2075 Division Rd. in East Greenwich was charged with DUI and refusal. He was later released with a summons.

Officer Nicholas DiNardo reported he was on patrol around 12:20 a.m. on Post Road when he saw a car with its left tires over the double yellow lines before it cut suddenly into a private drive, almost hitting his cruiser. He said he approached the driver and noticed she smelled of alcohol and appeared to be under the influence. He said she had to hold onto the car for balance after he asked her to get out for a field sobriety test. He said she failed the test and was arrested on suspicion of drunk driving and taken to headquarters where she refused a breath test. Pamela Savastano, 55, of 60 Weston Ave. in Cranston was charged with DUI, refusal and laned roadway violations. She was later released to a sober adult.

Officer Stephen Major reported an accident around 400 East Ave. around 8:25 p.m. on Dec. 3. He said he spoke with one of the drivers involved whose car had heavy front end damage and who appeared to be under the influence. He said the man was unsteady on his feet and almost fell several times and smelled of alcohol. He said the driver failed the field sobriety test and refused a breath test at headquarters. Corey Frechette, 32, of 7 Colvin St. in West Warwick was charged with DUI and refusal and later released to a sober adult.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment