Police Log -- Poisoned dog myth



According to a Warwick Police Department Facebook post on Wednesday, there has been a rumor or exaggerated story that 11 dogs have died from poisoning by eating poisoned-laced hot dogs in City Park recently. The department assures the public that it is safe to bring dogs to City Park.

Police report that there was one instance last week where a resident was walking a dog on Wellington Avenue where there were several hot dogs found on the side of the road. This resident's dog did eat a hot dog and out of an abundance of caution, thinking salmonella, brought the dog to a veterinarian. Rat poisoning was confirmed to have been digested by the dog; however the dog is fine and healthy.

There is currently an on-going investigation, and police will provide an update when the investigation is completed. If anyone does see hot dogs suspiciously placed in the Buttonwoods neighborhood, contact the Warwick Police Department at 401-468-4200.


On Tuesday, October 31, Warwick Police made an arrest in connection to an incident that occurred in the city on October 22.

According to a press release, on October 22 police responded to an address on Logan Street just after 10 p.m. for a report of a burglary in progress and an assault involving a possible stabbing. Upon arrival, officers located two victims with injuries consistent with being stabbed.

A 35-year-old white woman was stabbed multiple times in the neck and back area, as was a 24-year-old white male, who was stabbed multiple times in the back.  The suspect was identified as the ex-boyfriend of the female victim and had fled the scene prior to officer’s arrival.  Both victims were located in a second floor bedroom when the attack happened.

The victims stated that a black male with a hood over his head barged through a bedroom door and assaulted both of them with a knife that was located and collected at the scene.  The male victim chased the male suspect out of the house on foot after the incident before losing sight of him.

The victims were transported to Rhode Island Hospital for what were later determined to be non-life threatening injuries. Detectives and the Bureau of Criminal Identification responded to the scene to process and collect evidence. Subsequent to the investigation, it was determined that Seamus Simcock, 36, last known address of 113/1154 Central Avenue in Pawtucket, as being the ex-boyfriend of the female victim, who forced his way into the house and assaulted both victims before fleeing on foot.

Detectives completed their investigation and obtained an arrest warrant for Simcock. WPD detectives solicited the assistance of the United States Marshals Service, specifically the Rhode Island Violent Fugitive Task Force, in locating and apprehending Simcock. On October 31 at approximately 9:52 a.m., Simcock was located in Pawtucket by the task force and taken into custody without incident and transported to WPD Headquarters.

Simcock has been transported to Kent County Courthouse where he will be arraigned for felony domestic burglary, felony domestic assault with a dangerous weapon, and felony assault with a dangerous weapon.


On October 19 around 11 a.m., Officer Christian Vargas responded to a Railroad Row address for a report of a stolen motorcycle. At the residence the officer met with the registered owner of the bike, who stated that he had been parking the vehicle on the side of his neighbors house on Sue Street as he was having work done on his property.

The man stated that on the previous evening, he stayed at a friend’s house and when he returned home around 10 a.m. he discovered that the motorcycle was missing. The man told the officer he has the only key and that his father was the only other person who sometimes rides the vehicle, but that he did not have the bike. A check of the surrounding area proved negative, and the report was forwarded to detectives for review.


On October 24 at approximately 5:03 p.m., Officer Brian Holleran responded to the Town Fair Tire on Bald Hill Road for a report of an intoxicated subject. Dispatch advised that the complainant stated that employees could detect the smell of alcohol from the subject, who was stumbling in the store. An update was given that the man was trying to leave in a vehicle and was having a difficult time backing out of the parking lot.

At the scene, Officer Holleran reported that he could see a Ford Explorer traveling through the parking lot to the exit. The vehicle was stopped and the officer met with the driver, later identified as Andrew Graham, 57, of 90 Youngs Avenue in West Warwick. According to his report, the officer could detect a strong smell of alcohol emanating from Graham. Graham told the officer that he was at the store looking at tires and was now going to pick up a friend. He said that he had a shot of vodka about an hour before.

Officer Holleran asked Graham what his level of education was, and he replied that he had completed high school. Graham was asked to recite the letters from “C to the letter S,” and he replied that he could not do that because he was not smart. He was then asked to count backwards from 68 to 45, and again stated that he could not.

Graham then agreed to partake in a series of standardized sobriety tests, which he agreed to. Based upon his test performance, and the officer’s training and experience, it was determined that Graham would be arrested for suspicion of driving under the influence. He was taken into custody and transported to police headquarters where he later refused to take a chemical breathalyzer test.

At the station, Graham was processed and charged with driving under the influence first offense and refusal to submit to a chemical test. He was later transported and transferred to Kent Hospital, as no one would pick him up upon his release.


Officer Tyler Stone responded to a Colesonian Drive residence on October 25 at approximately 6:34 for a report of a larceny from a vehicle.

At the scene the officer met with the reporting party, who stated that his work van had been broken into and approximately 33 items were stolen out of it. He said he believed that the vehicle had been locked and secured, but that he had been having issues with the side door and he was unsure if the door had actually locked.

An inventory of the vehicle was conducted, and a list of the items missing was provided to the officers. The total value of the items that were stolen was approximately $2,171. All of the items had been marked with the owner’s initials. He told the officer that all of the tools taken where his personal items and that none belonged to his employer.

At this time there are no suspects or witnesses and the complainant did not have any suspects in mind. No usable fingerprints could be observed as the van had been sitting in rain for several hours.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment