Police Log - Fake iPhone sold



On Jan. 3 at approximately 1:13 p.m. Officers Brian Murray and Joseph DeDonato responded to the area of Gilmore Furniture on Post Road for a hit and run accident.

The victims of the accident gave the officers the plate numbers and DeDonato stopped the vehicle in the parking lot of the Burger King on Post Road. The car was driven by Daniel Cullen, 25, of 26 Lebrun Ave. in Woonsocket, who told the officer that he was involved in the accident and had left the scene because he didn’t have any money and that he was sorry for leaving. His car had extensive damage to the front bumper.

The victims of the accident had damage to the passenger side doors of their car. Cullen stated that as he was pulling out of a side street onto Post Road a car let him go, but as he pulled into the left lane of the road another car drove by and he struck it.

Cullen was issued summons for Duty to Stop – Accident Resulting – Damage to Attended Vehicle with a Third District Court date of Feb. 6.


A victim who had been sold a fake iPhone 8 Plus 256G came into Warwick police headquarters on Jan. 10.

She told Officer Brian Holleran that on Jan. 3 she bought the phone at Warwick Mall in a meet up with three men from the LetGo app, who were using an account called “super.” She paid $600 for it.

She realized it was fake after the meet up, when she saw an Android icon inside the phone and realized that its camera quality, keyboard and 250G label did not match the phone she thought she had bought.


On Dec. 17 at approximately 4:00 p.m. Officer Thomas Greene responded to a shoplifting in progress at the Stop and Shop on Warwick Avenue. Dispatch told him that a female, later identified as Laura Sargeant, 50, of 67 Reed St., was in custody while a male, identified as Jesse Fratus, 35, of 67 Reed St. in Warwick, had fled the scene in a blue minivan.

The Loss Prevention associate at the store told the Officer that the two suspects had attempted to shoplift $553.56 worth of merchandise from the store. While in custody, Sargeant told the Officer that they had both shoplifted. She called Frates, who she said had been living with her for about a month, and he told her that he wouldn’t come back to the store and denied any involvement in the shoplifting.

From the security footage, Officer Greene saw that Frates and Sargeant had put the merchandise in reusable bags and attempted to exit the store, taking equal part in attempting to conceal the items to steal them.

Sargeant was issued summons for one count of Shoplifting with a Third District Court date of Jan. 23.

At the time, a warrant was being prepared for the arrest of Frates for one count of Shoplifting-Felony and one count of Habitual Offender-Shoplifting, due to his prior history.

Later, on Jan. 6, Officers Timothy Tavares, Richard Odell and Thomas Duncan went to Frates’ residence at 67 Reed St. and searched the house. Despite Sargeant telling them that Frates wasn’t there, they found him hiding in a closet in a bedroom and then took him to police headquarters, where he was jailed.


On Jan. 5 at approximately 7:08 p.m. Officer Quentin Tavares responded to the report of a shoplifting at the Burlington Coat Factory on Bald Hill Road.

The Loss Prevention officer there told him that a male had come in earlier in the night, which he saw on surveillance footage that he reviewed, and taken items from the men’s fragrance section by using a magnet to get them off the “keepers” that they were on. After getting them off the magnets, which he did in the back of the store, he put the fragrances in his pocket and left the store. There was no further suspect information at the time and the surveillance footage was put in police Property.


On Jan. 5 at approximately 5:55 p.m. Officers Quentin Tavares, Christopher Gillis and Matthew Higgins apprehended Arman Tovmasian, 44, of 15 Stone Bridge Ct. in Cranston, at the Walmart on Bald Hill Road for shoplifting.

The Walmart Asset Protection employee had told the Officers that Tovmasian had taken boots, gloves, and insoles valued at $53.37 and walked out of the store without paying.

The officers transported Tovmasian to police headquarters, where he was charged with one count of Shoplifting-Misdemeanor and was not released at the time because he was on bail. The store issued him a No Trespass and Walmart advised that they wished to press charges.


On Jan. 7 at approximately 7:28 p.m. Officers Anthony D’Abrosca and Quentin Tavares responded to the Walmart on Bald Hill Road for a shoplifting in progress. Dispatch told them that the suspect had taken numerous items, including a knife, and driven away in a black Nissan SUV.

Upon arrival, the Loss Prevention associate told them that he saw a male in his 20s take a multi-tool knife, a windproof lighter, and two pillows, total value of $54.21, and put them in a handbag, then leave the store. The associate tried stopping him outside the store, but he got in his car and left.

Late in the night, the Officers were notified that West Warwick Police had located the vehicle and had two subjects detained. One of the subjects admitted to shoplifting.

The Officers took the Walmart Loss Prevention associate to where the subjects were detained, where he was able to identify one of them, Austin McNeal, 30, of 4 Andrews Ave. in West Warwick, as the person who shoplifted.

McNeal was placed into custody and taken back to police headquarters, where he was later released with a summons on one count of Shoplifting-Misdemeanor.

All of the items, other than the lighter, were recovered to the store and Walmart said they wished to press charges.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment