Police Log


On Sept. 29 at approximately 3:17 a.m. Officer Kyle Fitzsimmons pulled over a pick-up truck traveling on Post Road in the area of Atlantic Ave. that was speeding, crossing between lanes, and run two red lights.
The driver of the truck was identified as Michael Vanleeuwen, 49, of 138 Prospect Ave. in Danielson, CT. Vanleeuwen immediately told the officer that he was falling asleep at the wheel, and the officer observed him to have bloodshot eyes and slurred speech during their conversation.
The officer said Vanleeuwen was disoriented during his questioning and couldn’t maintain focus. Officer Fitzsimmons also saw an opened blunt wrapper on the floor of the truck. Vanleeuwen exited the car when asked and was unbalanced on his feet.
Vanleeuwen continued to appear confused, first telling the officer that he was coming from Club Fantasies in Providence and trying to drive home Connecticut. He said he didn’t know how he ended up in Warwick. He then said he was actually coming from work in Johnston, though he did not say where he worked. Vanleeuwen then sat down on the curb because he could not maintain his balance.
The officer asked him to submit to field sobriety tests, and Vanleeuwan said he wouldn’t, but then agreed to an eye test, during which the officer observed 6 out of 6 clues indicating impairment. He refused to submit to any more tests.
Vanleeuwen was placed in custody and put in a police cruiser to be brought to police headquarters.
During a search of his car, a small amount of marijuana was found, as was two open bottles of Korkov vodka, which were one pint each. The officer had seen one of the bottles in arm’s reach when he pulled Vanleeuwen over initially.
At police headquarters, Vanleeuwen refused to take any chemical B.A.C. tests.
Vanleeuwen was charged with DUI/Drugs/Alcohol (1st Offense) – B.A.C. Unknown. He was also issued citations charging him with Refusal to Submit to Chemical Test (1st Offense) and Possession of Marijuana, 1 oz. or Less. He was given court summons and released to a sober adult.

On Oct. 5 Officer Brian Murray responded to a business on Jefferson Blvd. for the report of stolen truck batteries.
The victim said that two truck batteries, valued totally at $300, had been stolen from one of their work trucks sometime the night before. He said there was no evidence left behind and no video surveillance on scene, but later in that day he contacted the officer again to say that two of his workers had seen a green minivan pulling out of the lot earlier that morning, though they weren’t able to get a license plate number or description of the operator.
On Oct. 5 at approximately 1:13 p.m. Officer Jeremy Smith responded to the Burlington store on Bald Hill Road for the report of a larceny of cash from a customer.
The victim said that while he was shopping in the store earlier that day he had dropped his wallet, which he later found at the front desk after it had been found and returned by somebody. He said that $140 in cash had been taken from the wallet before it was returned.
The front desk clerk said that a male, only described as of medium height and build, had brought the wallet to her around 12:45 p.m. The case was forwarded to detectives for further investigation, and so they could follow up with loss prevention for their video surveillance footage.
On Oct. 3 at approximately 11:54 a.m. Officer Jeremy Smith spoke with a woman who came into police headquarters to report a stolen cell phone.
She said that she was at Picasso’s Pizza and Pub the night before and at some point in the night could no longer find her Samsung S8, valued at approximately $800. She used the location tracker on it while with the officer, and he responded to the residence in East Greenwich where it said it was, but no one was there. It later said the phone was at a Papa Gino’s in Warwick, but the officer couldn’t find I there either.
The case was forwarded to detectives for follow up.

On Sept. 27 at approximately 2:05 p.m. multiple officers responded to the TJ Maxx on Bald Hill Rd. for the report of two shoplifters already in custody with the store’s security.
The loss prevention associate said in a statement that the two female suspects, identified as Zuleika Perez, 27, of 29 March St. in Providence, and Mariel Rodrigues, 34, of 44 Woodlawn Ave. in Pawtucket, had taken a variety of items from the store without paying.
The total value of the items, which included women’s and men’s beauty items, was $99.91. All of it was recovered by the store after the two females were taken into custody outside. A search of Rodrigues’ car revealed that they had also stolen items from the Ulta store.
Both females were charged with Shoplifting – Misdemeanor and released on scene with court summonses.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment