Police Log


The Police Log is a digest of reports filed by the Warwick Police.

Another foreclosed house was broken into on Oct. 11 and copper pipe ripped from the walls. Police said the people contracted to clean the place arrived and found a Plexiglas window had been kicked out on Tillinghast Avenue and the baseboard heating fixtures pulled away from the walls. They said ceiling tiles in the basement were also torn out and pipes removed. They told police they had last been in the place on Sept. 30. No suspects or witnesses.

A Post Road resident called police on Oct. 10 to report that his credit card company alerted him of a charge on his credit card for flowers purchased in Old Saybrook, Conn. He said he did not buy the flowers and that he had not used the card for about 10 months, when he bought tickets to Las Vegas. He said the card company was looking into it and told him he needed a police report as part of the process. He told police he still had his credit card and it was not used by anyone he knew of.

A manager at Sullivan Tire on Jefferson Boulevard told police an employee went to get a delivery truck to use for his shift around 10 a.m. and found the window was broken and about 50 CDs and a GPS unit were missing. No suspects or witnesses.
A Pontiac Street resident told police he had been out of town since Sept. 29 and had not reported his GPS unit missing until he came back on Oct. 11. No suspects or witnesses.

A Spofford Avenue resident told police she returned to her vehicle around 4:40 p.m. on Oct. 11 and found that the window had been forced open and the glove box yanked open and broken. She said the contents of the glove box were scattered about the interior but did not report anything missing. No witnesses or suspects.

Officer Gregory Johnson reported he was on patrol around 9:45 p.m. on Oct. 1 when he got a tip about a possible drunk driver swerving toward oncoming traffic on Post Road and stopping well short of traffic lights at intersections. The tipster told Johnson she was following the driver and told him where it was. He said he found the blue Jeep Cherokee on West Shore Road with a car directly behind it with hazard lights flashing. He said he turned on his lights and caught up with the Jeep near Wildes Corner and clocked it at 45 mph in a 35 mph zone as it went from lane to lane. He said he followed it onto Albert Road and pulled it over. He said the driver asked him why he was pulled over by several police cars and was told he was suspected of drunk driving. Johnson said he smelled of alcohol and appeared to be intoxicated. Johnson said he gave the man a field sobriety test and he twice swore at him and refused to complete the test. Johnson said he was taken to headquarters, where he refused to submit to a breath test. Matthew J. McGuire, 43, of 29 Claris St., Warwick, was charged with DUI, second offense, and refusal. He was also charged with speeding and later released to a sober adult.

Officer Jason Brodeur reported he was dispatched to the Apponaug rotary around 10 p.m. on Sept. 27 for a report of a white Corvette with Massachusetts plates going the wrong way through the rotary. He said he caught up with the car on West Shore Road and pulled it over. Said the driver appeared to be intoxicated and spoke with slurred speech. He said he subjected the driver to a field sobriety test that the driver failed and then arrested him on suspicion of drunk driving. Thomas Ennis, 56, of 556 Springfield St., Feeding Hills, Mass., was charged with DUI and refusal and later released with a summons after posting $1,000 surety bail.

Officer David Waddington reported he as on patrol around 10:15 p.m. when he heard that another officer was pursuing a possibly armed man wanted in West Warwick for domestic charges earlier that evening that was fleeing on foot near Kilvert and Blackburn. He said he followed the other officer into a densely-wooded area with little light. Waddington said he could smell alcohol emanating from a bush and trained his flashlight on a man cowering under the bush. He said he ordered the man to extend his hands for restraints but the man continually pulled them back and tucked them under himself. He said he still did not know if there were the knives he was warned about being held under the man’s body. He said he delivered several strikes to the man before another officer arrived and they pulled his arms out from under him and got him under control. Waddington said it was after that encounter that he learned the suspect had been involved in an accident and was not the guy wanted by West Warwick but a guy from Warwick who was suspected of drunk driving. He said the suspect continued to be combative and uncooperative and unable to maintain his balance so they decided to forego a field sobriety test and took him directly to Kent Hospital.

Officer Britton Kelly reported that he heard a crash earlier and found the suspect’s car up on the sidewalk and the driver attempting to walk away from the scene. He said the man fell head first into a chain link fence before climbing over it and falling onto the asphalt parking lot. Kelly said he pursued the man around the fence and encountered several people who said he ran through some nearby yards and into the heavy woods. He said that’s when he went and found Waddington attempting to subdue the driver. Witnesses later told police they saw the suspect attempting to take a turn at high speed before it fishtailed, hit the curb, jumped onto the sidewalk and into a boulder. They told police he was driving fast and erratically for some time before he crashed and they had yelled at him as he was speeding up and down nearby streets. Richard Lepage, 25, of 175 Kilvert St. in Warwick was charged with DUI, driving on a suspended license, speeding, resisting arrest and refusal.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment