Police Log


The Police Log is a digest of reports filed by the Warwick Police.

A Warwick man was arrested and charged with malicious damage on Oct. 23 after a witness identified him as the man he saw throw a rock through the glass door of the Lakewood Liquor store on Warwick Avenue. Officer Eric Lima reported he was dispatched to the store around 8:30 p.m. and was told the witness followed the suspect on Adams Street, where the suspect ran into a yard. Another officer found the suspect and the witness was called back by police and was taken to where the suspect was being detained and identified him as the man who threw the rock at the door. Nicholas A. Rovinski, 21, of 167 Aspinet Dr. in Warwick was charged with malicious damage.
The clerk at the Sunoco station at 629 Bald Hill Rd. told police there was a power outage at the store around 6:30 p.m. and, because she couldn’t do any work without the electricity, she locked up the store and left until the power came back on. She said she returned around 8:30 p.m. and found a large crack in the bottom of the glass door. No suspects or witnesses.
An employee of the Wonderland Smoke Shop on East Avenue learned that it might not be a good idea to leave an empty bank deposit bag in your car. The employee said he came out to his vehicle and found the front passenger side window broken and the store’s Bank of America deposit bag on the front seat. No money was lost because there was nothing in the bag when it was left in the vehicle.

Officer Hovsep Sarkisian took a report of at least 15 vehicles being damaged as they were awaiting being worked on or being picked up by customers at Stevie D’s Auto repair business on Warwick Avenue on Oct. 24. The owner told police he came to work that morning and found that someone had “keyed” a number of cars in the lot. He said there was a power blackout between 4 p.m. and 8 p.m. the day before and the cameras that usually cover the lot were out. He said he believed the damage was done while the cameras were off. No suspects or witnesses.

A Warwick woman was charged with refusal after a three-car accident near Post Road and Bucklin Avenue on Oct. 17. Officer Gilda Fortier reported she was dispatched to the scene and found other police on the scene taking statements. Fortier said she spoke with one of the drivers who insisted she was fine and did not need any medical attention and said, “I don’t want to go to the hospital.” Fortier said there was heavy front-end damage to the woman’s car and the air bag had deployed. She said the woman appeared to be disoriented and told Fortier she had just been released from the hospital and said she had been to Stop and Shop and CVS. He said she appeared to want to smoke and was looking for something in her purse when Fortier saw several prescription bottles. She said the woman appeared to be sleepy and on the verge of nodding off and she became more uncooperative under questioning. Fortier said she claimed she was looking for something in the car and got distracted and then said she may have passed out and woke too late to avoid the accident. Fortier said she appeared to get more and more disoriented but there was no odor of alcohol about her. She said the woman claimed she was on minimal medication and could function. Fortier said it became apparent that she needed some attention and they took her out of the car and put her on a stretcher but she refused to cooperate and began to get vulgar and insulting. Fortier said she was taken inside the Rescue. She said an inventory of her car before it was towed turned up baggies but no drugs. Fortier said she continued to scream and yell in the truck and was given two Narcans, medicine designed to counteract the effects of narcotics. Fortier said she then calmed down but continued to be uncooperative and refused to take a blood test for drugs. Fortier said she remarked that she “had beat the first charge against her years ago and she will beat this charge too.” Bonnie Lynn Appleton, 35, of 2 Shirley St. in Warwick was charged with refusal, leaving her lane of travel and no proof of insurance.
Lt. David DeAngelis reported he was on patrol around 1:15 a.m. on Oct. 19 when he saw a car traveling north at what seemed well over the speed limit when he began to follow it. He said the car immediately slowed down when he got behind it but continued to make lane changes without signals and straddle lane lines. He said he pulled the car over on the Airport Connector and noticed an odor of alcohol coming from the driver. He said her eyes were glossy and she appeared to be intoxicated. He said the driver failed a field sobriety test and was arrested on suspicion of DUI. Darcy A. O’Rourke, 24, of 2214 Broad St. in Cranston was charged with DUI and refusal and later released to a sober adult.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment