Police Log


The Police Log is a digest of reports filed by the Warwick Police.

The Guitar Center called police on Nov. 21 to report that a Martin D35 “Dreadnaught” acoustic guitar went missing from their store at 1245 Bald Hill Rd. The manager told police they noticed it was gone on Nov. 17 and said it must have gone some time between July 21 and Nov. 17. No suspects or witnesses. The $3,000 guitar had a serial number of 1494326.

An East Greenwich woman was charged with shoplifting at JC Penney in the Warwick Mall on Nov. 22 after loss prevention agents told police they saw her select two sterling silver bracelets and take them to another area of the store where she concealed them and then left the store without paying for them. Brittney Gossman, 20, of 240 Chestnut Dr. was later released with a summons for District Court.

Officer Brian Murray reported that the service tech for an Excel Tire Gauge coin-operated air machine at the Gulf gas station at 3327 Post Rd. told him on Nov. 19 that he was summoned to the station because the machine was broken into on Nov. 14 The service tech could not tell Murray how much change was actually taken and told him they usually empty the machines every three months but he estimated it at $200. Murray said there was nothing to process at the scene five days after the break occurred.
The same service tech called police earlier that day to report that the air vending machine in the parking lot at Irving Oil at 4552 Post and told Officer Julio Benros that the side panel with custom security fasteners was opened on that machine and money was missing from the cash box. The technician estimated that $300 to $500 in coins was missing and that the money was last collected on Sept. 29. He said that, judging from the $10 he found in the box, the theft took place within the last week. No suspects or witnesses.

Officer James Wenneman reported a fire at Hunter’s Garage at 13 Post Rd. left a recreational vehicle damaged and damaged an outside wall of the building on Nov. 19. He said he arrived to find Warwick Fire extinguishing a fire in a 34-foot 1987 Georgie Boy Cruise Air 2 that was parked alongside the garage. The owner told Wenneman he moved the vehicle that morning after he started it up to charge the battery. He explained that the motor had not been fired up in six months and he started it and moved it next to the garage to idle and charge the battery. He said the vehicle was running for about five minutes when he got back inside and smoke started coming from outside the RV. He said he got out of the camper and called 911. Fire officials told Wenneman they did not think there was anything suspicious about the fire and speculated that, because the engine had been unused for six months, something possibly made a nest of some kind in the engine compartment that caught fire after the engine warmed up. The report valued the RV at $2,500.

Officer Tomas Bogusz reported that a Darrow Drive resident told him she was awakened but loud noises from her garage around 5 a.m. on Nov. 18 and assumed it was her mother doing something in the garage and didn’t think much about it until she spoke with her mother later and learned she was not in the garage at that time and when she looked in the garage, she realized that about 10 pieces of copper pipe was gone. She estimated it was worth around $100 and had no idea who took it. Bogusz forwarded the report to detectives.

Officer Stephen Major reported he was on patrol around 4:25 a.m. on Nov. 18 when he saw a car drive through a red light and then stop in the middle of the intersection and was staying there after the light turned green until other cars started driving around it. He said the car then straddled the lane markers on Post Road as it headed south. He said he started his emergency lights and siren for a stop but the car went another half-mile before it pulled over. He said the driver appeared to be intoxicated and smelled strongly of alcohol and complained of Major “bothering” her in a slurred voice. He said she failed a field sobriety test. He said he was joined by Sgt. Michael Lima after she failed the test and he agreed she would be arrested on suspicion of drunk driving. He said the woman continually berated him on the way to headquarters for not doing his job and that “her drinking was nothing compared to what I do with my drunk Irish family and wife.” He said Nancy S. Deshaies, 63, of 2426 Post Rd. refused a breath test at headquarters and was charged with DUI, refusal, laned roadway violations and running a red light. He said she continued to berate him and called him a hypocrite and said he got drunk with his Irish family every weekend and “she hopes I die.” She was later released to a sober adult.
Officer Manuel Pacheco reported being dispatched to the intersection of West Shore Road and Church Avenue around 10 p.m. on Nov. 11 for a rollover accident with a person trapped inside. He said Warwick Fire arrived and managed to get the driver out in no time and she appeared to be unharmed. He said he went to speak with her and she smelled of alcohol and told him, “What do you think? I’m [expletive] drunk and I flipped my car!” he said the driver reluctantly took a field sobriety test and asked him if he would just take her word that she was drunk. He aid he took the woman to headquarters where she refused to take a breath test. Linda W. Jones, 67, of 21 Logan St. in Warwick was charged with DUI and refusal and later released to a sober adult.
Officer Nelson Carreiro reported he was on patrol around 6:25 p.m. on Nov. 15 when he got a dispatch about a possible drunk driver heading west on Main Avenue. The reporting party told dispatch the suspect car was all over the road and gone over a church lawn near the Greenwood Credit Union. Carreiro said he found the suspect car and followed as it swerved from lane to lane at around 25 mph in a 35 mph zone. He aid he pulled the car over and noticed that the driver appeared to be intoxicated and smelled strongly of alcohol. He said she failed the first parts of a field sobriety test and he stopped it for her safety. Stacie Ann McCarthy, 53, of 29 Morgan Ave. in Warwick was taken to headquarters where she refused to take a breath test. She was charged with DUI, refusal and laned roadway violations.


1 comment on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment

Hmm...3 DUI or suspect of and they are all females....Why is it that the only stories the Beacon reports.

Friday, November 25, 2011