Police Log


The Police Log is a digest of reports filed by the Warwick Police.

Officer Matthew Higgins was dispatched to Denny’s on Quaker Lane around 3 a.m. on Jan. 23 for a fight in progress. He said the found the victim, who told them the suspect left in a car but was arrested shortly after that by another officer. Higgins said the victim told him he was sitting at the counter when the suspect asked him what the score of the football game was and the victim told him to, “Shut the [expletive] up,” and they stopped talking. He said he then went outside to have a cigarette and the suspect followed him outside and punched him in the head two or three times before other people separated them. Kenneth Andrew Cormier, 34, of 4632 Post Rd. in Warwick was charged with simple assault and battery and later released with a summons.

The owner of the Firestone Service Center on Post Road called police to complain that the secure area where he keeps his scrap metal had been broken into again on Jan. 23 and more scrap had been stolen. Officer Matthew Moretti said he showed him the small brick enclosure with a metal fence and pointed out that the pad lock was cut with bolt clippers and the scrap hauled away. He said it was the second time in as many weeks that it happened. No suspects or witnesses.

A Warwick woman was arrested at the Stop and Shop in Meadowbrook on Jan. 24 after loss prevention at the store told police they saw her conceal a number of health and beauty products in a bag inside her carriage and then attempt to leave the store without paying for the concealed stuff. Nicole L. Stellenberg, 40, was charged with stealing $123 worth of goods from the store. Police discovered an outstanding warrant for failure to appear so Stellenberg was issued a summons for District Court at headquarters and then transported to the court to be arraigned for the warrant.
A Senator Street resident was charged with shoplifting from the Kohl’s store after loss prevention told police she took several pieces of jewelry into a fitting room and concealed the pieces on her person after removing the price cards and leaving the store without paying for the goods. Krystel N. Penta, 18, of 3 Senator St. was later released with s summons.
A Connecticut woman was arrested at the Walmart store on Post Road on Jan. 14 after employees at the store told police she concealed batteries, DVDs and other objects in a coat and then attempted to leave the store without paying for the coat or the stuff inside it. Donna S. Allicock, 47, of 19 Dean Ave. in East Winsor was charged with stealing $187.67 worth of merchandise and held for the Bail Commissioner.

Officer Scott Chanthaphouvong reported he was dispatched to a bus stop at the Warwick Mall for a report of a woman using it as a toilet. He said he arrived to find a woman who appeared to be intoxicated and asked her if she had publicly urinated there and she said, “Yes, nature called.”
Chanthaphouvong said she refused to give him any identification but because her intoxication and combative behavior could become a serious problem, he attempted to get her off the streets. He said the problem was solved when he learned there was an outstanding warrant for her arrest for failure to appear and had Irene Weh, 44, of 415 Friendship St. in Providence, transported to the ACI Intake Center.

Officer Daniel O’Connell reported a dispatch about a drunk driver with a child in the car who ran over a snow bank near Quinn’s Funeral Home around 2:30 p.m. on Jan. 21. He said he caught up with the suspect car heading south on Warwick Avenue. He said he saw the car swerve and hit the curb and continue to weave from lane to lane. He said he pulled the car over near Hendricken High School and did find a child in the front passenger seat, who turned out to be the driver’s 8-year-old grandson. He said he ordered the man out of the car and noticed he had to hold onto the car or stumble. O’Connell said he had to physically hold the man up at one point to keep him from falling. O’Connell said he was about to start a field sobriety test but when it became apparent that the driver could not even take the test, he arrested him on suspicion of drunk driving and was going to take him to headquarters until he noticed he could not sit up in the back seat of the cruiser and called Warwick Rescue to transport the driver to Kent Hospital for detox. The man refused to submit to a blood alcohol content test. Joseph Russo, 50, of 40 Sagamore St. in Warwick was charged with DUI, refusal and laned roadway violations and left in the care and custody of the hospital. O’Connell said the child’s mother had already come to the scene of the traffic stop in Warwick Avenue before Rescue was called and safely took her car and her child home.
Officer Gregory Johnson was on patrol around 12:55 a.m. on Jan. 16 when he radar-clocked a car doing 58 mph on West Shore Road. He said he turned his car around and pursued the car, which actually seemed to speed up before it acknowledged his lights and siren and pulled over near Long Street. He said the driver smelled of alcohol and appeared to be intoxicated. He said Misty L. Kempf, 31, of 3687 Post Rd. in Warwick, failed a field sobriety test and registered a .173 and a .164 blood alcohol content on the breath test. She was charged DUI, first offense and then released with a summons.
Mariah A. Cooney, 47, of 77 West Warwick Ave in West Warwick was charged with DUI and refusal on Jan. 20 after Officer John Curley stopped her at the Airport Plaza around 11:30 p.m. He said witnesses had called in a possible drunk driver and Cooney’s vehicle and behavior matched the description. He said Cooney failed a field sobriety test and blew a .154 on the portable breath tester but refused to take another official test at headquarters. She was charged with DUI and refusal and later released to a sober adult.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment