Police Log


The Police Log is a digest of reports filed by the Warwick Police.

Officer Scott Chanthaphouvong reported going to the Best Buy electronics store on Universal Boulevard on May 21 for a shoplifting suspect being watched inside the store around 11 a.m. Loss prevention gave dispatch a description of the suspect and Chanthaphouvong and another officer positioned themselves outside of the store to wait for him to come out of the store. The staff told dispatch they saw him conceal an Xbox game and they were waiting for him to leave the store without paying for it. Chanthaphouvong said he saw the man come out, followed by a loss prevention employee who pointed him out, and they arrested him. He said the man immediately told him he made a mistake and was “willing to pay for the game he had taken” but it was too late for that. Chanthaphouvong said he frisked the suspect and a razor blade, wire clippers and a magnetic anti-theft remover were found on him. Chanthaphouvong said the suspect admitted he got the anti-theft device remover when he worked for the now-defunct Circuit City electronics chain. Gerald C. Patrick, 31, of 54 Chamberlain St. in New Haven, Conn., was charged with shoplifting and then transported to District Court for arraignment.
Two Cranston women were arrested and charged with shoplifting at Macy’s in the Warwick Mall on May 21 after Loss prevention at the store told Officer William DiGiulio they saw the women select a number of items of clothing and take them to fitting rooms and emerge later with less items than they went in with. A loss prevention agent said she checked the fitting rooms each time the women came out and found that none of the missing items had been left inside. The same agent said she followed the women out of the store and saw them get into a white Jeep, where they took the concealed items out of their bags and left them in the back seat of the Jeep before going back inside the mall. She told DiGiulio she and another loss prevention agent waited at the car and detained the two women when they returned to the Jeep about 20 minutes later. She told DiGiulio they recovered $88.50 worth of merchandise from Mariana B. De Almeida, 19, of 630 Oaklawn Ave. and another $99.50 from Marissa McMahon, 18, of 5 Greenview Rd. They were later released with summons for District Court.

Officer William DiGiulio reported he was on a traffic post at Centerville and Post Roads around 1:45 a.m. on May 12 when he saw the driver of a Volkswagen gun his engine and appeared to turn left, ready to pass another car on the left, as they headed onto Centerville. He said the driver apparently spotted his cruiser in the parking lot and stopped revving his engine and cut back behind the car in front. He said he followed the Volkswagen and saw it veer over the yellow lines to the left. He said he pulled the car over and approached the driver. He said the driver smelled strongly of alcohol and appeared to be under the influence. He said the driver failed a field sobriety test and was taken to headquarters where he refused a breath test. Justin G. Bourque, 29, of 61 Manville Hill Ave. in Cumberland was charged with DUI, refusal and laned roadway violations and later released to a sober adult.
Officer Geoffrey Waldman reported he followed a green Honda doing 72 miles per hour on Route 95 that was swerving around the lanes. He said he pulled the car over near Exit 14 and noticed that the driver smelled of alcohol and had bloodshot eyes and had what looked like spit or vomit on his shirt. He said the driver told him he had been “gambling down at the casino” and “had a few beers.” Waldman said he gave the man a field sobriety test that he failed and was taken to headquarters where he refused to take a breath test. Chhai [sic] Huoth Te, 27, of 45 Pekin St. in Providence was charged with DUI and refusal and later released to a sober adult.
Sgt. John Choquette reported he was on patrol around 1:45 a.m. on May 18 when he saw a car heading west on Main Avenue swerve to the right of the road, almost striking the curb, and then swerve left as it was traveling at a high rate of speed. He said he clocked the car at 61 miles per hour in a posted 45 mile per hour zone and then pulled it over after two more swerves, one of which almost hit another car. He said he pulled the car over at Toys ‘R’ Us and advised the driver why he was pulled over and the driver said, “I know.” He said the driver smelled strongly of alcohol and admitted he had “a couple of drinks” after work. He said his speech was slurred and he appeared to be drunk. He said the driver failed a field sobriety test and was taken to headquarters where he refused a breath test. Daniel Rivard, 22, of 9 Forrest View Dr. in Scituate, was charged with, speeding, DUI, refusal and laned roadway violations. He was later released to a sober adult.
Officer Joshua Myer reported he was on patrol around 1:25 a.m. on May 14 when he clocked a car doing 52 miles an hour on Airport Road after it swerved over the double yellow lines and appeared to be headed right at Myer before it swerved back over the line. He aid he stopped the car in the parking lot of Dave’s Super Market and asked the driver where he was coming from. He said the driver told him he had been drinking at Tavern Twelve and stopped for fast food on his way home and was “digging for French fries” when he swerved over the yellow lines. He said the driver could not produce a license because it was suspended, and he smelled strongly of alcohol, slurred his speech and appeared to be drunk. He said the driver failed a field sobriety test and was taken to headquarters. He said he informed the driver he could make a phone call and the driver asked for his iPhone and said he didn’t want to make a call but wanted to record everything on his phone. Myer said he told him he wasn’t allowed to use the phone for that and offered him the use of a landline to call someone but he refused and reiterated that he wanted his own phone to record the proceedings. Myer said he could use his iPhone to retrieve a phone number but could not use it to record what was going on and the driver said he had no one to call; he just wanted to record the interview. Myer said he asked him again if he would take a breath test and the driver continued to ask to record the proceedings. He said a lieutenant also told the driver he could not record the interview on his iPhone and the driver gave up the argument and agreed to take the breath test. Myer said William A. McNulty, 39, of 33 Astral St. in Warwick blew a .122 and a .117 blood alcohol level on the breath test and was charged with DUI and driving on a suspended license and later released to a sober adult.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment