Police Log


The Police Log is a digest of reports filed by the Warwick Police.

A Warwick man told police he was just urinating behind the Cumberland Farms at 1291 Warwick Ave. on June 12 but a witness told police she went outside for a break and saw the man attempting to tear the rain gutters from the eaves of the building. She told police she heard noise coming from behind the building and asked the man what he was doing. She said he told her he was just “leaning” on the gutter but she thought otherwise and called police. Officer Mark Jandreau reported he stopped the man on Easton Street moments later and the clerk identified Frank Adamo, 49, of 38 Mawney Ave. in Warwick, who was charged with malicious damage to property.

Police reported two large bronze urns went missing from the front of the Meritage restaurant at 5454 Post Rd. on June 2. The manager of the restaurant said he came in around 6:10 a.m. and noticed they were missing. He said he was unsure of what they were worth but guessed at least $350. No witnesses or suspects.
Police reported the theft of a number of yard ornaments from the Too Gate Village trailer park on June 10. The resident told police eight solar lights worth $159, two angel statues valued at $60 and four glass mushrooms worth $40 and a $39 dragonfly spinner went missing from her lawn overnight. No suspects or witnesses.

An Attleboro man told police he had engine trouble with his 42-foot Hatteras sport fishing boat and had it towed to Brewer’s Yacht Yard on Masthead Drive. He said it was taken out of the water to be worked on and when he came back to it on June 9, he found that someone had gone into the boat and a number of items were missing. He said about $600 worth of electronics and $300 in tools was gone, along with about $3,000 worth of rod and reels were missing. Detectives said the man’s family had been through the boat before the police were called and no usable evidence could be gathered. No witnesses or suspects.

Police went to the Hilton Garden Inn on June 3 for a 911 hang-up from one of the rooms. Officer Hovsep Sarkisian responded to the room and met with a young woman who told him she dialed the number accidentally while trying to get an outside line. Sarkisian explained that he had to check on the well-being of people in the room and asked if this was her room. She said it was not, and asked him why he wanted her name. He explained that he had to know if she was rightfully in the room and she told him she had no identification on her and then asked why he wanted to know what her birthday was. He said she told him she didn’t know her Social Security number. Sarkisian said he noticed a bag on top of a cabinet and asked her who it belonged to and she said it was her boyfriend’s. Sarkisian said he took a closer look at the bag and recognized that it was filled with what looked like ecstasy tablets. He said the woman said, “I swear those are not mine, I just want to go home … I don’t even think they are real because I took one and I don’t feel anything.”

He said the woman at first told him her name was Monique Ternes but eventually told him her name was Ariel Ternes and she came back with no warrants and no license. She was charged with felony possession of a controlled substance for having 189 tablets of what tested out as ecstasy and obstructing an officer. Ariel Ternes, 20, of 38 Circle Dr. in Mystic, Conn., was remanded to the ACI when she could not meet the $2,000 surety bail.

Officer David Waddington reported he cut a vehicle stop short on June 6 when he saw a car with no lights on cross the double yellow lines going south on Warwick Avenue around 12:30 a.m. He said he caught up with the lightless car and saw it swerving from lane to lane and pulled it over. He said the driver appeared to be intoxicated and smelled strongly of alcohol and said he had just left work, in a Seekonk liquor store, at 11:30 p.m. and was going home. He said the man almost fell down getting out of the car and failed a field sobriety test before it was completed. Philip G. Carter, 44, of 156 Brookwood Rd. in Warwick was taken to headquarters where, according to Waddington, he tried to fake his way through a breath test but registered a .250, a .226 and a .236 before Waddington said he would be charged with refusal because he did not follow the instructions. Waddington said a check of the records indicated that the driver had been charged with refusal in 2002, DUI in 2005, a refusal in 2008 and another refusal in 2009. Carter was charged with refusal, third offense, DUI and several roadway violations and later released to a sober adult.

Officer John Curley said he responded to a one-car accident near the Islander on West Shore Road around 6:13 p.m. on June 3. The driver told him he had been driving down West Shore when he hit the curb. Curley said the driver smelled of alcohol and appeared to be intoxicated. He said he gave a field sobriety test to Brian P. O’Connor, 48, of 27 Corona Ct. and he failed it. Other officers at the scene quoted witnesses who said that O’Connor had fallen down several times trying to fix the flat on his car before police arrived. Curley said he refused a breath test at headquarters and was charged with DUI and refusal and later released to a sober adult.

Officer Brian Murray reported an accident with injuries on Jefferson Boulevard around 10:55 a.m. on June 5. He said one of the drivers appeared to be so drunk and confused and dazed that Murray asked him if he was on medication. He said the driver could not do any field sobriety tests and was taken to Kent Hospital because, Murray said, there was only a faint smell of alcohol on him. He said Daniel M. Paquin refused a blood test at the hospital and was charged with DUI and refusal and left in the care of the staff. Murray reported that this was the second time he found Paquin in that condition and the second time he was taken to Kent.

Officer Patrick Smith reported a pole versus pickup accident at 3260 West Shore Road around 2:10 a.m. on June 10. He said the driver smelled of alcohol and appeared to be intoxicated and slurred his words and said he just fell asleep and hit the pole. He said the driver didn’t do well on the field test and registered a .167 on the preliminary breath test at the scene but refused to take a breath test at headquarters. Brian T. Wheeler, 25, of 60 Brook Spring Dr. in Warwick was charged with DUI and refusal and later released to a sober adult.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment