Police Log


The Police Log is a digest of reports filed by the Warwick Police.

Officer Joshua Myer reported a disturbance at the Hilton Garden Inn around midnight on June 14 after a bartender there shut a Pennsylvania man off after he began to bother other guests in the Iron Works Tavern. Myer said he arrived to find another officer and two employees of the bar holding the man down in the foyer. The man was subdued and put in a Rescue after he was taken outside and threw up. The employees told Myer the man came in earlier with several other people who eventually left the bar as he got progressively more intoxicated. They said they shut him off and even escorted him to the elevator to go to his room. They said he came back to ask for his bill and was told it was paid and he was still shut off. When he left the second time, they said he threw a flowerpot and knocked some decorations off a table and they restrained him as he was about to throw another object and then started swinging at them. Myers said he was still yelling obscenities at the employees and the police as he was taken off to Kent Hospital and turned over to the staff. Robb L. Simpson, 42, of 5 Concord Creel Rd. in Glen Mills, Pa., was charged with two counts of assault, malicious damage and disorderly conduct and left with the hospital.

A West Warwick man was picked up on a warrant on June 17 after someone reported suspicious behavior in the parking lot of On the Border on Bald Hill Road. Officer Matthew Higgins reported he arrived there around 5:30 p.m. and stopped a man who was said to be looking into cars in the lot as he was walking toward Chuck E. Cheese. He said the man avoided answering questions about his identity but eventually gave his name and his birthday to Higgins. Higgins said the man had no ID on him but his name and birthday came back to John W. Hayes, 47, of 505 Washington St. who had two warrants out for his arrest. He said Hayes became extremely belligerent on the way to headquarters and told Higgins he didn’t know who he was arresting and his connections and that, “You’ll be dead in the morning, all I have to do is make a phone call.” Higgins also quoted him as saying, “You’ll find out the hard way. If you pull over in this parking lot and let me out, then this never happened but if you pull up to that door you’ll be in the worst hell you’ve ever seen.” Higgins said he also claimed that his mother is the leader of the MS-13 gang and that he was often mixed up with his brother-in-law who is also named John Hayes and has the same birthday and that he has gone to jail on his brother-in-law’s behalf numerous times. He said Hayes continued to be belligerent and threatening to police until he was transported to the ACI on a hold without bail warrant, one of two that were outstanding.

Officer Nicholas Reay reported he stopped a car for having one of its headlights out on June 17 and discovered that the passenger in the car had an outstanding warrant. The driver was let go with a warning for the burnt out headlight and the passenger, identified as Willie E. Casey, of 140 Ryan Ave. in Warwick, was later turned over to Pawtucket Police for an outstanding Domestic assault warrant.

An Elmont, N.Y. woman was arrested and charged with stealing $154.56 worth of clothing from the Target store in the Warwick Mall on June 17. Loss prevention said the woman concealed most of her selections and paid for one $30 item before she was stopped outside. Kristin Jones, 23, of 75 Barbara St. was later released on $1,000 personal recognizance.

Loss prevention at the Wal-Mart store in the Rhode Island Mall turned a West Warwick woman over to police on June 17 and said she took a box of printer ink, a phone case, speaker wire and a power inverter and concealed them in her pants and sweatshirt before leaving the store without paying for them. The goods were worth $76.89. Michelle l. Perras, 41, of 56 Maple St. was later released with a summons.

Officer Nadine Parmenter went to Quimby Street for a larceny of mail on June 18. A resident there told Parmenter she ordered tune-up parts from Amazon.com that were supposed to be delivered on June 11 but when they were not there on June 12, she contacted the Postal Service and was informed that the packages had been delivered on June 11. She said a set of spark plugs, a camshaft seal, an ignition rotor, an oil filter and a gasket worth a total of $38.47 were apparently stolen from her mail. No suspects or witnesses.

Officer Jedidiah Pineau spoke with a Warwick man in the lobby of headquarters on June 11 who told him he parked his Jeep Liberty in his driveway on Hale Avenue on June 8 and didn’t return to it until that day and discovered a Dell Latitude 620 laptop with a 15-inch screen worth $1,000 was gone. No suspects or witnesses.

The head custodian of the John Wickes Elementary School told police she arrived at work on June 18 and found a BB hole in one of the windows in Classroom #7. She also told Officer Tammy Mello she has noticed an increase in the damages being done to the school recently and said she has found a number of broken beer bottles on the grounds and asked that police keep a closer eye on the school after hours. No suspects or witnesses.

Officer Matthew Moretti said he was on Airport Road around 9:25 p.m. on June 14 when he saw a Honda mini-van swerving from lane to lane at 45 miles per hour in a 35 miles per hour zone. He said the driver smelled of alcohol and appeared to be under the influence. He said he stopped the field sobriety test after the one-legged stand for the woman’s safety and arrested her on suspicion of drunk driving. He said she became belligerent and uncooperative and refused to answer questions. He said the belligerence continued at the station where she swore at and berated the officers. He said the woman called her husband and was yelling and swearing at him. He said she agreed to take the breath test and then changed her mind. Donna L. O’Keefe, 46, of 3 Icehouse Rd. in Peacedale was charged with speeding, laned roadway violations, DUI and refusal and later released to a sober adult.

Officer Geoffrey Waldman reported stopping to assist Lt. David D’Angelis with a driver that was stopped for going the wrong way on Veterans Memorial Drive around 3:20 a.m. on June 8. He said he asked the driver where she was coming from and she said the Harborside in East Greenwich. He said he informed her that the bar closed at 1 a.m. and asked where she had been in the meantime. He said she smelled moderately of alcohol but appeared to be intoxicated. He said she failed a field sobriety test and was taken to headquarters where she refused a breath test. Noelle Mendosa, 23, of 165 Hope Rd. in Cranston was charged with DUI and refusal and later released to a sober adult.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment