Police Log


The Police Log is a digest of reports filed by the Warwick Police.

Officer Matthew Higgins reported that a Coke machine was stolen from the parking lot of the Sunnyside Restaurant on West Shore Road around 4:15 p.m. on Aug. 7. Higgins said an employee of the distributor told him they were replacing the machine with a new one and had wheeled the old one into the parking lot on a hand truck. When they came out afterwards, the machine and the hand truck were gone. Higgins said he canvassed the surrounding businesses but no one reported seeing anything out of the ordinary. No suspects.

A Harrop Avenue resident reported that a pair of prescription reading glasses worth $100 went missing from her vehicle overnight. She said her husband went out around 6:30 a.m. on Aug. 7 and found the door to the car left open and the inside was rummaged through. No witnesses or suspects.
A Warwick woman told police she parked her car at the Child Inc. daycare center on Centerville Road the morning of Aug. 3 and noticed that the passenger side front window was smashed around 10 a.m. and her wallet was missing from the console. She said her license and an ATM card were in the wallet with about $5 in cash.
A Preston Avenue resident complained that a 1984 Yamaha 200 dirt bike went missing from his yard on July 31. He said he last saw the bike on the side of the house around 5 a.m. that morning as he was leaving for work. He said he didn’t have the VIN but the engine and exhaust of the old bike was painted with black enamel and the kick-starter was broken off and the fender was cracked. He said the taillight was missing the lens and estimated the bike was worth $800.
A Smithfield woman called police on July 30 to report that her beach bag containing a towel and a Minolta camera worth $550 and a purse containing $270 in cash went missing sometime between 2:30 and 2:45 p.m., while she was in the pool at the Greenwich Bay Marina North on Second Point Road. No suspects or witnesses.

Officer Joel Thomas reported he was dispatched to the area of Long Street and Dory Avenue around 10:40 p.m. on Aug. 6 for a hit and run in progress. He was advised the reporting party was following the suspect, who was driving an older model Buick sedan. Thomas said he spotted the suspect on West Shore Road and turned around and followed it with his lights and siren on and the car speeded up. He said the car took an abrupt turn onto White Avenue without a signal and continued to flee at 54 miles per hour, according to Thomas, and ran a stop sign and made another turn without a signal and didn’t stop until they got to Asylum and Ingersoll Avenues. Thomas said he could see an empty container on the floor and there was a screwdriver and the lower half of a pool cue on the back seat. He said he ordered the man out of the car as he was saying, “You got me, you got me.” He said he fled the scene of the accident because the other driver was calling the police and his license was suspended and he “wasn’t going to stick around once he gave my plate to the cops.”
Paul E. Larson, 50, of 162 Main St., East Greenwich, was charged with leaving the scene of an accident, eluding police, speeding and running a stop sign in addition to driving on a suspended license. He was also charged with possession of a controlled substance for two alprazolam pills they found.

Officer Jason Cooke reported he was dispatched to a traffic stop at 2835 Post Rd. around 10:25 p.m. on Aug. 1 to assist with a DUI investigation. He said he arrived to find Det. Jedidiah Pineau escorting the woman who had been driving out of the car and asked Cooke to conduct a field sobriety test on her. Cooke said the woman failed the field sobriety test and blew a .241 blood alcohol content (BAC) on the portable breath tester. Susan J. Cauley, 37, of 155 Morse Ave., Warwick, was taken to headquarters, where she refused to take another breath test. She was charged with DUI and refusal and later released to a sober adult.
Officer Daniel DiMaio reported he was on routine patrol on Airport Road around 1:50 a.m. on Aug. 2 when he started following a car that was straddling and then crossing the white lines of the westbound lane. He said it crossed over the lanes again as it turned onto Post Road South and he pulled the car over. He said he asked the driver if she had been drinking and she said, “Absolutely I have been.” He said she smelled strongly of alcohol and appeared to be drunk. He said she failed the field sobriety test and was arrested on suspicion of drunk driving. He said an inventory check prior to towing the car turned up a paper bag with a large bottle of Old Smuggler Scotch on the passenger seat. He said she refused a breath test at headquarters and refused to sign any forms at headquarters. Katherine C. Camp, 52, of 36 Galant Dr., Warwick, was charged with DUI, refusal and laned roadway violations and held for arraignment in the morning.
Sgt. Joseph Petrarca reported he was on patrol around 12:55 a.m. on Aug. 8 when he started watching a red pickup truck after it cut off another vehicle at the intersection of Post Road in Apponaug. He said he got behind the pickup but couldn’t read which state the license plate came from because of the frame obscuring it. He said he followed it onto Post Road and pulled it over at Chapmans Avenue after he saw it drifting from lane to lane. He said the man smelled of alcohol and appeared to be under the influence. He said he gave the man a field sobriety test, which he couldn’t complete and claimed he couldn’t understand, even as it was demonstrated for him. He said he arrested him on suspicion of drunk driving and brought him to headquarters, where he blew a .242 and a .250 BAC on the breath test. Francisco Fuentes, 53, of 140 Willow St., Providence, was charged with DUI and later released to a sober adult.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment