Police Log


The Police Log is a digest of reports filed by the Warwick Police.

A 39-year-old Boston woman was charged with shoplifting $1,088 worth of clothing and removing sensor tags on clothing at Macy’s in Warwick Mall on Nov. 23. Loss prevention at the store told Officer Christopher Lo they followed the woman on closed circuit television as she selected 10 items of clothing and took them into a fitting room and come out with only five. They said they could see a bulge in her handbag and the bag she went into the fitting room with was noticeably fuller. They said they stopped her outside but she became combative and attempted to flee and continually resisted until the loss prevention agents got handcuffs on her. Lo said he looked inside the woman’s bag to get her identification and found clothing items that belonged to the store and a screwdriver with a forked end that loss prevention told him was used by shoplifters to remove sensors from merchandise. The woman claimed it was for self-defense, but loss prevention told him all of the merchandise in her bag had sensors on them while they were out on the sales floor. Loss prevention told Lo they found 13 stolen items in the woman’s bags. Tomorrow Peeples, 39, of 1451 Blue Hill Ave., Boston, Mass., was charged with shoplifting and removing anti-theft devices and later released on $1,000 surety bail.
Officer Jacob Elderkin reported arresting two Warwick women at the Walmart on Bald Hill Road on Nov. 21 after loss prevention at the store told police that they watched the woman move around the store selecting a variety of toys, clothing and other children’s items and conceal them. They said they waited until they paid for some of the items and walked out without making any effort to pay for the concealed items before they stopped them outside and escorted them back into the store. Ellen E. Merrill, 53, of 130 Vera St., was charged with stealing $129.65 in merchandise and Kerry Barratt, 29, of 54 Vohlander St., was charged with stealing $479,07. They were taken to headquarters and charged with shoplifting and later released with summonses for District Court.

Officer Jason Brodeur reported the theft of four Christmas trees from Lorena Rainbow of Flowers on West Shore Road on Nov. 30. The owner told Brodeur she bought a number of trees on Nov. 28 and put them behind the building and then noticed that four of the trees were gone the next day. There were no suspects or witnesses.

Officer Brian Murray reported that it must have taken a thief some time to remove an air conditioner from the Grimes Box Company on Tellmore Road overnight on Nov. 30. A manager at the company told Murray an employee came to work around 8 a.m. and noticed that the outside air conditioner had been taken apart and removed. The manager said the air conditioner was intact the last time it was seen at 5:30 p.m. the day before. Murray reported that the size of the unit indicated that it took considerable time to dismantle and remove the machine.

Officer Jason Cooke reported being dispatched to Shalom Apartments on Dec. 2 to look into the theft of a bag of greeting cards an 80-year-old woman said were stolen from her car. The woman told Cooke the bag was in the backseat of the car, and when she went to retrieve it around 5 p.m. she saw that it was gone. She said she looked around the house and the car and could not find them. She said there was no damage or signs of forced entry into her car and nothing else was missing. Later in the day, she happened to find the bag in the trash compactor on the first floor of her building. She said she thinks she retrieved all of them and said only one of the cards had a check inside and she found that one. She said she wanted to report the larceny but had no suspects or witnesses to the incident.

Officer Mark Jandreau reported that a Cox Communications vehicle on their Walnut Street property was broken into on Nov. 30. A manager showed him the vehicle and how the dashboard had been torn apart and the window smashed but could not see that anything was missing from the Chevy HHR van and even the back-up camera and radio were still in the vehicle. No suspects or witnesses.

An Imperial Drive resident came into headquarters on Dec. 3 to report that a number of items were missing from his car that morning. He said he believed he locked the vehicle the night before but didn’t see any evidence of forced entry in the morning when he noticed his IPod Touch and the case for it were gone, along with a Nintendo DS and two video games. The man told Officer Alfred Melucci the missing stuff was worth around $650. No suspects or witnesses.

Officer Stephen Major reported stopping a Jeep that passed him at a high rate of speed on Post Road around 4:50 p.m. on Nov. 29. He said the Jeep was aggressively cutting in and out of the traffic without using a signal and he clocked it at 49 miles per hour in a 35 miles per hour zone before it pulled onto George Street. He said the driver had bloodshot eyes and mumbled speech and smelled of alcohol. He said he asked the man to take a field sobriety test and he failed the test. He was taken to headquarters, where he refused to take a breath test. Alan Leo, 58, of 93 Broad St., Warwick, was charged with DUI, refusal and laned roadway violations and was later released to a sober adult.
Sgt. Thomas Snow reported an accident on Sandy Lane around 5:15 p.m. on Dec. 3. He said witnesses told police it was a hit and run and the Jeep responsible was last seen heading west and possibly turned into the Sandy Lane condominiums farther down the street. Snow said he went to the parking lot of the condo complex and saw a man getting out of a Jeep. He said he got out of his cruiser and asked the man what happened. He said the man protested that it wasn’t his fault and that the other car stopped short in front of him. Snow reported that the driver smelled of alcohol and he appeared to be under the influence. He said his speech was slurred and he staggered and Snow said he found seven small liquor bottles on the floor of the Jeep. Snow said he asked the driver if he had been drinking and he replied, “I’ve had four or five beers and a shot at my buddy’s house earlier in the day.” Snow said the driver was too intoxicated to finish a field sobriety test and was arrested on suspicion of drunk driving. Snow said he learned that a person in the car that was rear-ended was taken to Kent Hospital for evaluation and the driver was taken to headquarters, where he refused to take a breath test. Kevin Thompson, 55, of 188 Sturbridge Dr., Warwick, was charged with felony hit and run, DUI and DUI refusal, second offense. He was later released on $2,000 surety bail.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment