Police Log


The Police Log is a digest of reports filed by the Warwick Police.

Officer James Wenneman was dispatched to Irving Road for a report of a larceny from a car around 10 p.m. on Dec. 9. The owner of the car said she left her car in the driveway about 1 a.m. that morning and returned to it around 9 p.m. to get something she recently purchased and found the bag it was in was on the front seat and the item was missing. She told Wenneman she left the item in the bag in the back seat earlier. She said an IPod she left in the front seat was also missing. She told Wenneman she usually locks her car but could not remember if she did on this particular occasion. Wenneman said there was no sign of forced entry on the 2007 Toyota Camry. There were no witnesses or suspects. She told Wenneman the missing item was a doggie coat she just bought for $13.

Officer Gilda Fortier reported she was dispatched to Harvey Industries on Lori Ann Way around 8:50 a.m. on Dec. 8 for a vandalism complaint. The district manager for Harvey told Fortier he came to work around 8 that morning and found several beer bottles that had been thrown over the fence sometime overnight. He said several of them were found beside one of their trucks and the truck’s windshield was smashed. The manager told Fortier the incident must have occurred between 5 p.m. the day before and 8 a.m. that morning, when he found it. Fortier said the manager complained that it was not the first time they found beer bottles in their yard and it has been reported in the past. Fortier said there was a small hill on the other side of the fence where several other beer bottles were found. The manager estimated it would cost $400 to fix the windshield. No suspects or witnesses.

Two Providence women were arrested and charged with shoplifting at the Walmart store on Post Road on Dec. 9. Loss prevention agents for the store told Officer John Curley they watched the woman on the closed circuit television system as they went into the toy department with a full shopping cart and began concealing merchandise in their handbags. The said they watched them go to the register and pay for some of the goods but failed to pay for the goods concealed in their handbags. Anllys Alcantara, 24, of 26 Bodell Ave., and Ismarys Segura Fuentes, 19, of 179 Harold St. were charged with stealing $142.51 worth of candy and cosmetics and clothing. They were later released with summonses for District Court.

Officer Hovsep Sarkisian reported he was patrolling on Post Road around 1 a.m. on Dec. 1 when he saw a car heading north on Post that was swerving in and out of its lane. He said the car began to take a left turn onto the off-ramp for the Airport Connector but then corrected itself with an erratic turn back onto Post and then onto the on-ramp of the connector. He said he went after the car with his lights and siren on and stopped the car about 300 yards onto the connector, but the car stopped in the travel lane and the driver began to get out of the car before Sarkisian got on the PA speaker and told her to get back in the car and pull over into the breakdown lane and then blocked off the travel lane until the driver complied and diverted the traffic around the scene of the stop. After getting off the road, Sarkisian said he approached the driver and detected alcohol on her breath and saw that she appeared to be drunk. He said she asked him why he pulled her over and, after he explained, she admitted she had drinks at the Tavern Twelve bar. He said another officer arrived to assist and he asked the woman to take a field sobriety test. He said she stumbled and used his car for support as he was giving her instructions. He said she failed the test and was arrested on suspicion of drunk driving. He said the driver was taken to headquarters where she refused to take a breath test. Heather L. Miller, 29, of 29 Chester St., Warwick, was charged with DUI, refusal (second offense), stopping in the middle of the road and laned roadway violations. She was later released to sober adults.

Officer James Curley reported a traffic stop on Route 37 around 9 p.m. on Dec. 6. The car had been seen operating erratically on Post Road earlier and had been pulled over by another officer who was staying inside his car behind the stopped car for safety reasons while Curley assessed the condition of the driver. He said the driver appeared to be drunk and smelled strongly of alcohol. He said he attempted to give the driver a field sobriety test but gave up on it when the driver almost fell over the guardrail. He said the driver said, “I’m [expletive],” when Curley told him he was being arrested for suspicion of drunk driving. He said Robert Crudale, 60, of 85 Clark Ave., Cranston, was charged with DUI and refusal after he wouldn’t take a breath test at headquarters. He was later released to a sober adult.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment