Police Log


The Police Log is a digest of reports filed by the Warwick Police.

Two homeowners on Strawberry Field Road told police that they found that their mailboxes had been knocked down some time overnight on Dec. 31. One woman said she came home from work around 8 a.m. and found the four-by-four post that supported her mailbox had been broken off at the base. She said her son told her he came home around 2:30 a.m. and the post was intact at that time. Officer William DiGiulio said he noticed that the snowmen on her front lawn had their heads knocked off as well.

DiGiulio said he also spoke with her next-door neighbor who said he woke up to find his mailbox had been knocked down as well. DiGiulio said that mailbox had a metal post that was snapped off and the post and the box had been hurled across the street into the fence of the airport’s long-term parking lot. No suspects or witnesses.

A Cove Avenue resident told police she had no idea who damaged the vinyl fence on her property sometime overnight on Dec. 23. The woman showed Officer Jason Brodeur where someone tampered with the fence and took a section of it down. She said the damage would cost about $500 to repair. She said she hasn’t been having any problems with anybody that would prompt the vandals.

A Massachusetts man told police he parked his car in the lot at the Sheraton Hotel on Dec. 25 while he was on a vacation and returned on Jan. 5 to find the rear passenger side window of his car smashed. He told police nothing appeared to be missing from the car. No suspects or witnesses.

A Narragansett Parkway woman told police she forgot her purse was in a shopping cart at the Wal-Mart on Post Road on Jan. 3 and had left the store for about 25 minutes before she returned for it. She learned the purse was turned in at the service counter but the wallet was missing. She said it contained about $85 in cash, her ATM card, two credit cards and her Social Security card. She was told security cameras were not focused in the area where she parked her car and left the shopping cart. No suspects or witnesses.

Officer John Curley reported he was dispatched to Puritan Drive to take a report of a larceny from a vehicle there on Dec. 29. A woman said she returned to her car that morning and noticed that the DVD player in her 2005 Toyota mini-van had been tampered with and when she did an inventory of the car, she found that two checks totaling $440, a set of tools worth around $200 and some clothing worth around $100 were missing. No suspects or witnesses.

There were no witnesses or suspects concerning a refrigerator that went missing on Eastgate Drive on Dec. 28. The owner of the refrigerator told police he was in the process of remodeling his kitchen and the contractor had moved the refrigerator to the area in front of his garage. He said he went to work around 3 p.m. and his family returned around 7 p.m. and noticed the refrigerator was missing. He told police the beige refrigerator is over 10 years old and was worth around $300. He didn’t have a serial number for it. No suspects or witnesses.

Lynn A. Kamien, 55, of 201 Narrow Ln. in North Kingstown was charged with stealing $357 worth of merchandise from the Macy’s store in the Warwick Mall on Jan. 2. Loss prevention told police they saw and had video of her taking items and concealing them before attempting to leave without paying for them. She was later released with a summons for District Court.

A Cranston woman was additionally charged with resisting arrest at the Wal-Mart store on Post Road on Jan. 2 after loss prevention at the store turned her over to Officer John Curley. They told Curley they saw her take a Nook charging device out of its package and conceal it in her purse and then leave the package on a shelf and leave the store without paying for it. Loss prevention said they got her as she was getting into a vehicle and saw her hand something to another person in the car and denied everything. She told Curley she left the charger in the store but was unable to locate it when she was escorted back inside. Curley said he told her to give him her cell phone while he was arresting her and she refused and began to struggle with him. He said she was subdued and put in handcuffs and taken to headquarters where she was charged with stealing the charger and resisting arrest. Curley said Trinity E. Hull, 23, of 84 Mauran St. also had an identification card on her that belonged to someone else and he confiscated it. She was later released with a summons for District Court.

Officer Albert Marano reported he was on patrol around 1:50 a.m. on Dec. 29 when he heard a call about an erratic driver in the area of Cowesett and Post Road. He said he pulled over to the side of the road and saw the suspect vehicle heading north on Post Road and fell in behind it and activated his lights and siren but the car continued into Apponaug as he watched pieces of the passenger side front tire flying off, driving in the southbound lane and causing two other police cars to steer out of the way or get hit. He said it continued through the red light at Apponaug and directly onto the one-way onto Greenwich Avenue with police cars with lights flashing and sirens playing surrounding the vehicle to warn other drivers before it finally stopped near Bragger Street. He said the woman started driving away again but was stopped by another officer who parked his car in front of hers. He said they finally got her out of the car to take a field sobriety test and she failed it at the one-leg stand portion of the test, which Marano stopped out of fear that she would fall and injure herself. Susan H. Swenton, 42, of 176 Reynolds Ave. in Warwick was taken to headquarters where she refused to take a breath test. She was charged with laned roadway violations, refusal and DUI. Officer Quentin Tavares said there was other damage to the car in addition to the flat tire. He said the front bumper was severely damaged and fluids were leaking out of the engine compartment. She was later released with a summons.

Officer Jason Cooke reported a traffic stop at West Shore and Albert Roads around 8 p.m. on Dec. 31 after the vehicle ran a stop sign at West Shore and Oakland Beach Avenue. Cooke said the driver appeared to be intoxicated and failed a field sobriety test. He was arrested on suspicion of DUI and was taken to headquarters where he registered a .270 and a .249 blood alcohol content on the breath test. Cooke said they also found three bottles of alcohol in the car, two of which had part of the contents gone. Eric M. Floody, 38, of 74 Kristee Cir. in Coventry was also charged with running the stop sign and was taken to Kent Hospital for detox.

Officer Stephen Major reported he was dispatched to the Motel 6 parking lot on Jefferson Boulevard on Dec. 18 for a witness who was willing to state that Amanda Somervell, 32, of 38 Lyme St. in Malden, Mass. had been operating erratically before she pulled into the parking lot. He said Somervell did appear intoxicated and failed a field sobriety test. He said she was taken to headquarters where she refused to take a breath test. She was charged with DUI and refusal and later released to a sober adult.

Craig G. Hawkins, 20, of 15 Nahanton Ave. in Milton, Mass. was stopped around 12:30 a.m. on Jan. 1 and arrested on suspicion of drunk driving after Officer Nicholas Reay gave him a field sobriety test near 3595 Post Rd. Reay said Hawkins registered a .171 and a .175 on a breath test at headquarters and was charged with DUI and traffic violations. He was later released on $1,000 personal recognizance.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment