Police Log


The Police Log is a digest of reports filed by the Warwick Police.


Officer John Curley reported he and several other officers were dispatched to Dave’s Bar and Grill on Post Road around 8:15 p.m. on March 17 for a disturbance in progress. He said he arrived to find that the disturbance was ending but the altercants were still on the scene. One of the waitresses filled him in on what she saw and what others seconded. She said a disagreement between a customer and a waitress prompted the owner to ask the customer and her party to leave the establishment. She said they were on their way out when the customer spotted the waitress and went after her, which drew more people into the altercation and caused a witness to have her glasses knocked off and stomped on by the woman designated as the aggressor. She said it was not an accident and the glasses were stomped maliciously with the intent to damage them. Kristen L. Caruso, 24, of 51 Cambridge Ave. in Warwick was identified as the aggressor and she was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct, assault and malicious damage.


Officer Kerri-Ann Leighton-Fialho reported a graffiti complaint on March 19. The owner of AMP Supplies on Byfield Street said that sometime over the weekend, someone had covered the company’s building with graffiti, including the roof, which he thought might have also been damaged in other ways, including the piping on the roof. He said he estimated that it would cost between $10,000 and $20,000 to clean up the damage. Leighton-Fialho said one whole side of the building was covered with different “tags” and she noted what they were and forwarded the report to detectives.


Officer Matthew Higgins reported he was dispatched to the Tumble Town Laundry in the Meadowbrook Plaza for a report of stolen clothing on March 17. A customer there said she came back to take her laundry out of the dryer and found they had already been removed and were now missing. She told Higgins she checked out all the other dryers and the rest of the Laundromat and found none of her things. The attendant said no one had turned in the clothes and she had no idea who took them, but a review of the video surveillance and the three people seen in the video were not there anymore. They planned to check back with another manager later to see if he knew whom the people in the video were and how to find them. The woman estimated the clothing to be worth a total of $400. No other witnesses or suspects.


Officer Stephen Major reported the theft of a copper ground from a Verizon cell tower on West Natick Road on March 21. A Verizon representative told him he was monitoring the tower remotely around 2:15 p.m. when a “ground theft alarm” went off. He said he arrived no later than 15 minutes later and found wires hanging from the tower and damage to the antenna and lines from the tower. He told Major there was no video cameras in the area at the time and they had no idea who took the ground or if anyone else saw the theft. He told Major the damage would cost $1,000 to repair.


On March 20, a customer at the Workout World gym on West Shore Road told Officer Jason Brodeur she locked her purse in her locker with her own Masterlock around 5 p.m. and came back around 6:50 p.m. and got her purse out of her still locked locker. She said she then went to Bassett’s Inn and when she looked for her money inside her purse to pay her bill, she realized that the money was gone. She told Brodeur she had about $220 in her purse at the time she locked it up. She said nothing else was missing from her purse. No suspects or witnesses.


A Woonsocket woman was charged with shoplifting at the Target store in the Warwick Mall on March 21. Loss prevention at the store told police Shawn L. Moreau, 37, of 45 Village St. said the woman and a companion were observed selecting various items of clothing from the store and then some paper goods that they proceeded to conceal in bags. They said one of the women left the store and got into a red SUV and drove away before the other came out of the store without paying for the goods in the cart she was pushing out the door. Loss prevention said she claimed she was pushing the cart for the woman who drove away. They told Officer William Castaldi they recovered $961.97 worth of merchandise from the suspect. Castaldi said a check of the area to locate the second suspect was fruitless. Moreau was released with a summons.

Candace Joy Fusco, 26, of 1149 Hartford Ave. in Johnston was charged with stealing $242 worth of goods from Macy’s in the Warwick Mall on March 19. Officer Michelle Caron said loss prevention told her they saw Fusco take a number of items into a fitting booth and emerge later with only two items visible and a visibly larger Kohl’s bag. Loss prevention told Caron they stopped Fusco outside after she left without paying for the concealed goods. She was later released with a summons.

Officer Charles Austin reported arresting a Providence woman at Macy’s on March 18 after loss prevention told him they saw her grab a bag from one of the register stations and fill it with four items taken from the racks in the women’s area and walked out of the store without paying for the goods. Shaquillah Taniel Washington, 20, of 18 Standish Ave. was later released with a summons for shoplifting.

Eric Lima reported taking a Warwick woman into custody at Macy’s on March 19 after loss prevention at Macy’s told him she took about $329.50 worth of jewelry and clothing from the store and walked out without paying for the goods. Lima said Nikki Lee Adams, 22, of 104 Edmond Dr. was charged with felony shoplifting because of a 2010 conviction for shoplifting and was told she would be charged with trespassing if she returned to the store.


Officer John Madden reported a break into a storage container located at the Lynch and Sons Construction Company on March 19. Madden said a supervisor at the Bellows Street address told him someone broke into the container overnight and took about $300 worth of welding supplies. He said the lock to the container was broken as a result of the vandalism. He told Madden nothing lese appeared to be missing from the container.


Officer Michael Walker reported he was on patrol around 12:25 a.m. on March 18 when he saw a car coming up behind him on Bald Hill Road at a high rate of speed. He said the car noticeably slowed down when it noticed a police car in front of him but he pulled it over anyway for being well over the 35 mile per hour speed limit before. He said the driver appeared to be under the influence and there was vomit on the driver’s pants and jacket and the inside of the car. He said he asked for his license and was handed a college ID. He said he had difficultly getting his license out of his wallet and gave him a handful of paperwork that had nothing to do with the car he was driving. He said he gave the driver a field sobriety test and the driver failed it. He said he took the man to headquarters where he continually questioned Walker on legal issues and asked others that made no sense at all. He said the driver told him he could speak multiple languages and said he wanted to read his rights in Spanish. Walker said he gave him the card with Miranda rights in Spanish and the man then complained that he couldn’t speak Spanish. Walker said this went on for about 30 minutes before he finally told the driver he would be charged with refusal after the driver admitted trying to slow the process down. Brian Grenon, 25, of 911 Toll Gate Rd. in Warwick was charged with speeding, DUI and refusal and later released to a sober adult.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment