Police Log


The Police Log is a digest of reports filed by the Warwick Police.


A Warwick man told police he parked the Ford Ranger he used for work at the Systech International parking lot on Minnesota Avenue around 5 p.m. on April 15 and returned to it around 8:45 the next morning and found it had been broken into. He said the stock AM/FM/CD stereo was missing, along with a USB thumb drive and a roll of Rhode Island inspection stickers. Police said the reporting party pointed to some scratches on the door and the inside door handle and offered that it looked like someone used a “jimmy” to unlock the door. The case was forwarded to detectives. No witnesses or suspects.


An officer was dispatched to an address on Red Chimney Drive for a report of a larceny from a Subaru Outback that was parked unlocked in a driveway overnight. The owner told police she parked the car around 9 p.m. on April 14 and returned around 8 a.m. that morning to discover that a laptop computer, a cell phone, about $40 in cash and her driver’s license were gone. She said she left her purse in the car as well and it contained debit cards, credit cards and a checkbook but they were not taken. She said the laptop belonged to the company she worked for and was worth around $800. No witnesses.


Officer Nicholas DiNardo reported he was stopped at a red light at Bald Hill Road and East Avenue around 10:25 p.m. on April 5 when he saw a car in the parking lot of Dunkin’ Donuts crossing the area in reverse at a high rate of speed. He said he saw a man chasing the car, attempting to open the door and get into it. He said the car stopped and the man who was chasing it began yelling at the driver as the car accelerated and spun its tires before heading out of the parking lot without stopping or signaling. DiNardo said he suspected the car was being stolen or that some kind of fight occurred and he immediately went after the car and pulled it over about an eighth of a mile from the parking lot. He said he was asking the driver if he knew why he had been pulled over when he noticed a strong smell of alcohol coming from the man. He said his eyes were bloodshot, he mumbled and appeared to be drunk. He said he asked the man what had happened in the parking lot and the man said the other person was his nephew and that his nephew was just “bustin’ my balls.” He said the nephew pulled up and identified himself and told DiNardo he was trying to talk his uncle out of driving because “he had too much to drink.” DiNardo said he got the driver out of the car for a field sobriety test and saw six out of six clues on the nystagmus test to indicate intoxication. He said he gave him a walk and turn test that gave five out of eight clues and a one-leg stand test with three out of four failures. The driver was arrested for suspected drunk driving and taken to headquarters, where he refused to take a breath test. Timothy Finegan, 49, of 745 River Ave., Providence, was charged with DUI and refusal and later released to a sober adult.

Sgt. John Choquette reported stopping a car traveling too fast on the Greenwood Bridge around 2:25 a.m. on April 7. He said he got behind the car just west of Jefferson Boulevard and saw it swerve from lane to lane and hit the curb once before it turned onto Lillian Court without a signal and stopped. He said the driver appeared to be intoxicated and was waving his hands out of the window as he approached. He said he asked the driver if he knew why he was stopped and he replied because of “speeding, back there.” He said the man smelled of alcohol and did poorly with the alphabet and he turned him over to another officer to conduct a field sobriety test. Officer Jamey Petit said the driver continuously ignored instructions and failed the field sobriety test. Petit said he arrested the driver and took him to headquarters, where he blew a .133 and a .134 blood alcohol content on the breath test. Shane V. Kelvey, 22, of 206 Mayfield Ave., Cranston, was charged with DUI, laned roadway violations, no seat belt and no evidence of insurance. He was later released to a sober adult.

Officer John Curley reported a call about a DUI in progress around 11:30 p.m. on April 5 concerning a car that was driving directly into oncoming traffic before going onto Route 95. He said he got onto 95 and caught up with the car that was swerving from lane to lane before he pulled it over a half mile before Exit 14. He said the driver appeared to be under the influence and smelled of alcohol. He said he gave the driver a field sobriety test that she failed and cut short for her safety. He said Marrisa A. Napolitano, 21, of 1800 Elmwood Ave., Warwick, refused a breath test at headquarters. She was charged with DUI, refusal and laned roadway violations. She was later released to a sober adult.

Officer Joel Thomas reported stopping a car he saw running a stop sign and weaving from lane to lane on Palmer Avenue around 4:15 p.m. on April 3. He said the driver smelled strongly of alcohol and appeared to be drunk. He said he had to hold the man as he got out of his pickup to keep him from falling into the street. He said the man did not follow the instructions for a field sobriety test and was taken to headquarters, where he refused a breath test. Eduard Brum, 51, of 43 Junction St., Warwick, was charged with DUI, second offense, refusal second offense, running two stop signs, no proof of insurance, no registration and driving on a suspended license, second offense. He was held for the bail commissioner.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment