Police Log


The Police Log is a digest of reports filed by the Warwick Police.


Warwick Police have released the name of the Warwick man who was killed in an accident involving a motorcycle and a truck on Main Avenue around 8:50 a.m. on Tuesday.

The operator was identified as Joel Constantineau, 27, of Reynolds Avenue. Warwick Rescue transported Constantineau to Rhode Island Hospital where he was later pronounced dead. The operator of the truck, Sal Biscardi, 58 years of age, from Warwick, was not injured. The initial investigation showed the motorcycle was traveling west on Main Ave. and the truck was exiting the Shell Gas station, attempting to cross over Main Avenue onto Covington Drive when the collision occurred. There was no passenger on the motorcycle and at this time it does not appear that Constantineau was wearing a helmet.

Investigators have interviewed the driver of the truck as well as witnesses. At this time, it does not appear that speed or alcohol were factors in the collision.

Police have asked that any person with information related to the collision contact the Warwick Police Department Traffic Division at 468-4343.


Officer Gilda Fortier reported the theft of cash and a debit card from a woman’s purse while she was trying on clothes at the T.J. Maxx store on Bald Hill Road on May 16. The woman said she tried on some items and then walked out of the fitting room. She said it was less than a minute before she realized she left her purse hanging on a hook in the fitting room and went back to get it. She said she checked inside and noticed that $215 in cash, a debit card and her driver’s license was missing. She said she did see an associate sweeping the area when she came back for her purse, but Fortier said the associate said she remembered the woman frantically looking for her purse but did not see the purse or know it was in the fitting room and didn’t see anyone else go in or out of the stall.

Officer Robert Canis-Langlais reported an 11-foot dinghy and motor that went missing from the Harbor Lights Marina on May 16. The owner told Canis-Langlais he was asleep on his larger boat the night before and believes the boat was taken then. He said it was a 2005 Caribe rigid bottom inflatable dinghy with a console, wheel, electric start and a 30-horsepwer Nissan motor. He said he got in another boat and searched the harbor but did not find it. Canis-Langlais said the owner estimated that it was worth $20,000. No suspects or witnesses.

Officer William Castaldi said he went to the Grossman Bargain Outlet on Pilla Street around 11 a.m. on May 20 for a report of some missing flooring. He told Castaldi a pallet of hardwood flooring was left in the yard the night before and he noticed that some bundles of the flooring were missing. He also showed Castaldi a hole cut in the corner of the fence on the southeast section of the yard. He said the material was worth $1,150.10. No suspects or witnesses.


Officer Daniel O’Connell went to an Oak Tree Avenue residence on May 18 to hear about another scam targeting older people to access their personal information and rip them off. This time, a 72-year-old woman got a call from a pre-recorded voice that said her son was trying to place a collect call from the “city jail” and that it would cost $25. The recording requested that the woman give her credit card number, expiration date and the three-number code on the back of the card, which the woman did. She told O’Connell then she became suspicious and called Warwick Police to see if, in fact, they did have her son in jail. She was told that they did not and that O’Connell would be coming over to take a fraud report. O’Connell said the woman had already talked with her son before he got there and he assured her he was not in jail anywhere. O’Connell said he called a number given to the woman and got a recording saying the voicemail was full. A second number was answered by a recording telling her to send more money and gave her a website where she could contribute more and a summary of her charges. O’Connell said she had already contacted the credit card company and cancelled the card.

The report was forwarded to detectives.


Officer Michael Walker reported he was stopped at a red light at Cowesett Road and Quaker Lane around 11:30 p.m. when another car drove through the red light and headed into Warwick down Cowesett and then into the Stop & Shop Plaza without a signal and into the wrong side of the entry, almost hitting another car. Walker said he pulled the car over in the plaza and ran a field sobriety test on the driver, who smelled of alcohol and appeared to be intoxicated. He said the driver had to crawl over the front seat and out the passenger side because the driver’s door was damaged and wouldn’t open. Walker said that Zachary W. Carter, 26, of 6 Elmwood Dr. in North Kingstown, was taken to headquarters after he failed the field sobriety test and refused a breath test. He was charged with DUI, refusal, running a red light and laned roadway violations.

Officer Jacob Elderkin reported a tip about a possible drunk driver heading into Warwick on Route 95 around 11:25 p.m. on April 14. State Police said there was a witness following the car and Elderkin caught sight of it and saw it do 85 miles per hour before it abruptly turned onto the exit for Centerville Road. He said he followed it to Commonwealth Avenue and saw it swerving from lane to lane before it came to a stop. He said the driver appeared to be intoxicated, smelled strongly of alcohol and had a very difficult time understanding the instructions for the field sobriety test that he eventually failed. Michael A. Colello, 38, of 33 Preservation Dr. in Saunderstown was taken to headquarters where he refused a breath test. He was charged with speeding and several other traffic violations in addition to being charged with DUI and refusal. He was later released to a sober adult.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment