Police Log


The Police Log is a digest of reports filed by the Warwick Police.


Animal Control Officer Jeffrey York reported he was dispatched to the Wal-Mart on Post Road around 1 p.m. on June 1 for a report of a dog left in a hot car in the parking lot. He said he was on his way when he heard a second dispatch for an officer to the same place for a dispute between two witnesses and a man and woman who came to the car. York said he took statements from the witnesses who told him they saw the dog attempt to jump out of the window of the car but was hanging by the electrical cord the owner used to restrain the dog and they had to physically lift the dog up to release him. They said they gave the dog a bottle of water, which he consumed in less than two minutes, while another bystander entered the store and had the owner paged. They said the store paged the owner three times within 30 minutes and got no response, at which time they called police. York reported that he issued a citation to the owner for leaving a dog in a hot car, which violated a city ordinance. Al Baseer E. Barros, 34, of 51 Zipporah St., Providence is due in Municipal Court on June 27 and faced a possible $500 fine.

Officer Tammy Mello reported she too cited a dog owner for leaving two dogs in a car for two hours while she ate at a restaurant in the Warwick Mall. Mello said the caller described a 2004 Dodge Neon, which Mello found in the parking lot. The caller said she believed the owner was in the Target store and she asked Officer Joshua Myer to go and have her paged. Mello said dispatch told her the ambient temperature outside was 90 degrees and the two small dogs, a Chihuahua and a miniature Schnauzer, were panting heavily with excessive saliva and obviously overheated. She said she removed the dogs and had them taken to the animal shelter. She said she was approached by a loss prevention officer from Target who said she reviewed video surveillance of the owner walking toward the store but believed they went into the Hibachi Grill around 6:15 p.m. Mello said by the time the owner came out of the restaurant, it was 8:22 p.m. The owner told Mello she didn’t understand what the problem was because the sun was setting and the car was in partial shade. Mello said she informed the woman that it was still too hot to leave the dogs in the car and gave Leona Abbott, 33, of 93 Parade St., Providence a citation and told her the dogs could have died in the time she was gone. She too will be in Municipal Court on June 27. She also explained to her how she could get her dogs back.


Officer Alfred Melucci reported that a number of mailboxes were knocked over on Gilbert Stuart Drive on June 10. One of the owners said they found the box knocked over and tire treads on the lawn that morning and that boxes at 26, 35, 79, 161 and 280 Gilbert Stuart were also down. A neighbor told Melucci she heard a loud bang around 11:15 the night before. She said she saw a Jeep Wrangler with the top down on the lawn across the street that proceeded down the street. She said she saw the same Jeep about five minutes later, coming back down the street at high speed. She told Melucci she believed the driver was drunk. She said she doubted she could identify anyone who was in the dark-colored Jeep. The reports were forwarded to detectives after Melucci had dispatch put out a lookout for the Jeep. No other witnesses or suspects.


Officer Gilda Fortier reported arresting a woman for shoplifting at the Rite Aid at 2055 Warwick Ave. around 10:20 a.m. on June 11. Dispatch advised that she was reported to be stuffing her jacket and jeans pockets with stuff that belonged to the store. She said she arrived and loss prevention informed her that the same woman was now in one of the aisles, emptying her pockets. Loss prevention said they didn’t want to press charges but they did want her to be trespassed from the store. Fortier said she spoke with the woman and thought she was disoriented but did not smell of alcohol. Fortier said she found a piece of jewelry in the woman’s back pocket and she said, “How did that get there?” Fortier said she found another piece in a pocket as well that the woman denied any knowledge of. She said the woman’s pocketbook smelled of marijuana and there were a number of other substances in the purse that appeared to be narcotics of different sorts, including a brown, tar-like substance that might be heroin and a small rock that might be crack and one tablet that was identified as a prescription sleep aid. The substances were sent for testing, but the field test was positive for the marijuana. Kathleen F. Margerison, 43, of 699 Church Ave. was sent to Kent Hospital for detox after getting a ticket for the marijuana.


Officer Javier Cabreja reported stopping a car on Centerville Road around 1:10 a.m. on June 1. He said the car had a rear light out and the car was weaving from lane to lane. He said the driver smelled of alcohol and failed a field sobriety test. The driver was arrested for suspicion of drunk driving and the car was turned over to his passenger, a sober, licensed driver. Brian A. Thornley, 28, of 25 Cecile Ave., Coventry refused a breath test at headquarters and was charged with DUI, laned roadway violations and refusal. He was also charged with driving on a license that expired in February of this year and having no proof of insurance.

Officer Stephen Major reported he was on patrol when he heard a call about a possible drunk driver in a black 2008 Toyota Solara crossing repeatedly the centerline on West Shore Road around 11:40 p.m. on June 8. Major said he found the car and pulled it over near Mystic Drive. He said the driver failed all of the parts of the field sobriety test and was taken to headquarters where he refused to take a breath test. Mark A. Keough, 50, of 10 Jillian Ct. in Warwick, was charged with laned roadway violations, refusal and DUI, and later released to a sober adult.

Officer Nicholas Reay reported he was on patrol around 4:50 p.m. on June 8 when he was dispatched to a two-car accident near Diamond Hill and Cowesett Roads. He said he asked one of the drivers what happened and detected an odor emanating from him as he answered. He said the driver admitted he’d “had a few” earlier and agreed to take a field sobriety test. Reay said the man failed the sobriety test and was taken to Kent Hospital to be cleared medically and refused to take a blood test at the hospital. John T. Dockray, 42, of 81 Pawtuxet Terr., West Warwick, was charged with refusal and DUI and later issued a summons for District Court.

Officer James Michailides reported he was dispatched to Masthead Drive around 8 p.m. on June 9 for a suspected drunk driver in a white 2008 Nissan Rogue. He said he caught up with the vehicle at Folly’s Landing as people around the area were pointing at the Rogue, asking Michailides to stop it. He said he stopped it in its tracks, in the middle of the road, and approached the driver. He said she appeared to be drunk and smelled strongly of alcohol. He asked her to get out of the vehicle for a field sobriety test and noticed she had to hold onto the vehicle to balance. He said she could not complete the test and was taken to headquarters where she refused to take a breath test. Eva M. Sousa, 40, of 20 Dixwell Ave., Cranston was charged with DUI, second offense, and refusal. She was later released to a sober adult.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment