Police Log


The Police Log is a digest of reports filed by the Warwick Police.


Animal Control Officer Jesse Brennan reported he was dispatched to the Airport Plaza around 3:50 p.m. on July 7 for a report of two dogs who had been left inside a car parked in the sun. He said an employee of Walt’s Roast Beef was the caller and he told Brennan the dogs, described as Wheaten terriers, one of which was 13 and the other 3 years old, had been inside the car for at least 30 minutes. He said the owner was there and told Brennan he had only been in Staples for about 10 minutes. Brennan said the car and air conditioner were running when he got there but the car was parked in the sun and the dogs still looked heat-stressed and were panting heavily. He said the man admitted he just turned the air conditioning on after he learned the ACO was on the way; it was not on while he was in the store. Brennan said he then took the temperature inside the car and it read 92 degrees Fahrenheit and dispatch confirmed that the air temperature outside was 85. Brennan said he felt there was sufficient evidence to issue a citation to the owner, identified as Thomas A. Wilson, 75, of 154 Old Mill Blvd. in Warwick. Brennan noted that the fine could be as high as $500, depending on the judge in Municipal Court.


A woman came into headquarters on July 3 to report that someone went inside her car while she was at Healthtrax on Post Road and went into her purse and stole her wallet and her cell phone. She said she went home and called to cancel her credit cards but learned they had been used sometime between 5 and 8 p.m. while she was still in the gym, and was used at the Foot Locker and Old Navy stores in Warwick and possibly the Providence Mall as well. She said she needed a police report for the card companies to refute the charges. She said about $700 had been charged so far. No suspects or witnesses.


Officer Robert Gauvin reported going to the T-Mobile kiosk in the Warwick Mall around 4 p.m. on July 4 for a report of a stolen iPhone. The clerk told Gauvin he went to the bathroom, stopped to chat with some friends and was returning to the kiosk when he heard an alarm was going off. When he got near the kiosk, he realized it was coming from the kiosk because an iPhone had been stolen. Gauvin said he went to the security office and reviewed the surveillance of the kiosk. He said it showed a white male, with brown hair and a black polo shirt with an insignia of some sort, approach the booth, look around and then reach into where the phones were and manipulate a few things before walking away and the iPhone was no longer there. Gauvin said he got a DVD of the surveillance and forwarded the case to detectives.


Officer Charles Austin reported going to Blanchard Avenue around 6:20 a.m. on July 3 for a report of a car window that had been smashed. He said there was a 2004 Chevy in the driveway. He said he found pieces of a mug that didn’t belong to the woman who called or to the man who owned the car. He said he collected the pieces and put them in a bag for BCI to check for fingerprints later. He told the woman the owner of the car would have to file the complaint. He said the owner came to headquarters the next day and completed a complaint, which said he found a “large stone” in the back seat of the car and that it was the thing that was used to smash the window. He said there was nothing missing from the car. No witnesses or suspects.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment