Police Log


The Police log is a digest of reports filed by the Warwick Police.


Officer Robert Gauvin reported going to the Radio Shack store at 1800 Post Rd. on July 3 to take custody of an employee accused of stealing over $4,000 from the store since January of this year. A district manager for the company explained to Gauvin that the employee had been taking items off the shelf and scanning them as sales. He would then rescan them later as refunds and pocket cash from the drawer. Gauvin said he asked the employee if he understood what was going on and he replied that he did, and added that he was sorry. The manager gave Gauvin statements signed by the employee admitting the theft and the actual amount of money missing between Jan. 1 and July 2 was $4,688.22. Mikey Bartuah, 21, of 89 Harrison St. in Providence was taken to headquarters and charged with felony embezzlement.


Officer James Wenneman reported an accident near the intersection of Centerville Road and Commonwealth Avenue around 9:25 p.m. on June 19. He said he checked on one of the drivers and he was fine but when he checked on the second driver, he found him passed out behind the wheel. Wenneman said he knocked on the window to wake him up. He said he appeared to be intoxicated and smelled of alcohol but did say he hit the other car in the rear. He said he called another unit to assist and then asked the driver out for a field sobriety test. He said it took six tries to get through the nystagmus test and then failed the toe to heel test. He said the driver almost fell over on the one-leg stand and he discontinued the test. The driver was arrested for suspicion of drunk driving and taken to headquarters where he refused a breath test. Bernard Pokraka, 59, of 25 Phillips St. in Coventry was charged with DUI and refusal and later released to a sober adult.


Officer William Castaldi reported he went to Pontiac Mills on Knight Street around 2 p.m. on June 29 for a report of a break-in there. The grounds keeper there told him he found the gate to building number one was open and an air conditioner on the roof had been damaged and had its compressor removed. He said the small building in front of the main building had the chain link fence cut open and the smaller building had a three-bay stainless steel sink, a stainless steel refrigerator and a stainless deli counter missing. Castaldi said all of the missing items were very heavy and it was most likely that several people with a truck must have been responsible. He said the property owner was located in Texas and the local agent had not returned a call. Detectives were called to the scene to investigate. He said he did finally speak with the agent on July 1 and she advised him to just call Pontiac Mills, the victim, and she would speak with the owner. No suspects or witnesses.


Officer Joseph DeDonato reported some malicious damage to two pickup trucks belonging to a man on Westfield Rd. on July 3.

The man said he woke up to find the windshield of one of them smashed with a rock and a front window on the other had been apparently broken with a rock. No suspects or witnesses.

Officer Tammy Mello took a similar report from a man on Pettis Drive the day before. He said he found his Ford Explorer with a smashed windshield that day and found the rock that probably was used to break it on the ground beside the SUV. No witnesses or suspects.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment