Police Log


The Police Log is a digest of reports filed by the Warwick Police.


Officer Randy Francis was dispatched to Pilgrim High School around 2:50 a.m. on July 17 for a suspicious man. He met with an alarm technician who told him he was there investigating an alarm that went off. He said he was coming out of the boiler room when he saw a man inside the school. He said he escorted the man outside and called the police. Francis said he asked the suspect what he was up to and the man told him he was running on the track at Pilgrim when he noticed his cell phone battery was low, so he went over to the school and saw a door was ajar and went inside to use an outlet to charge his phone. That was when he was stopped by the alarm technician. The man, identified as James R. Delmonaco, 55, of 23 Acorn St., Providence, was charged with breaking and entering and held for the next session of District Court. He was later released on bail.

Detectives reported they got video of the incident later that day that shows Delmonaco going once, coming out a few minutes later with what appears to be a garbage bag and later video of him re-entering the school and then being escorted out by the alarm technician.



The suspect wanted for the theft of Ciroc vodka from a number of local liquor stores has been arrested. Warwick Police aired surveillance video of the suspect on local television news and that led to the arrest of Tawan Burgess, 32, of Warwick. Between July 12 and 16, several area liquor stores had been victimized by a suspect stealing Ciroc vodka. He was caught on high definition video, which made identification easier for detectives and the public. Someone who saw the news told police they knew Burgess the suspect was then arrested at his home. Burgess was charged with two counts of shoplifting from the Haxton’s on Bald Hill Road and Haxton’s West Bay Liquors on West Shore Road.  The suspect’s information was turned over to West Warwick Police detectives for investigation into a shoplifting from a liquor store there. Burgess was already on probation for a prior shoplifting charge from last October.


Officer Zachary Davis reported stopping a vehicle on Warwick Avenue for operating erratically around 1:10 a.m. on July 7. He said the driver was changing lanes without signals and appeared to be intoxicated when he was stopped. He said he smelled of alcohol and slurred his speech. Davis said he gave the driver a field sobriety test that he failed and he arrested Ramon A. Maldonado, 28, of 133 Merry Mount Dr., Warwick, and charged him with DUI after he registered a .132 and a .128 on the breath test at headquarters.

Cheryl A. Hovey, 44, of 58 Glenbrook Rd., Warwick, was charged with DUI and refusal after she was stopped on Warwick Avenue around 1:40 a.m. on July 14. Officer Timothy Marshall reported he stopped Hovey after hearing her riding on a rim and making overly wide turns and veer into the oncoming lane. He said the car had a flat front right tire and she told him she hit the median at Wildes Corner earlier. He said she smelled strongly of alcohol and failed a field sobriety test and was taken to headquarters, where she refused to take a breath test. She was charged DUI, refusal and leaving the scene of an accident. She was later released to a sober adult.

Officer James Wenneman reported he was on patrol when he heard a report of a suspected drunk driver on Warwick Avenue near Namquid Drive. He said he found the car and followed it onto Narragansett Parkway after it finally moved after the light was green and swerved into and over the centerline and began to travel in the breakdown lane until he stopped it. He said he gave the driver a field sobriety test and she failed it. He said the driver, Lynn A. Gardner, 47, of 400 Narragansett Pkwy., blew a .288 and a .290 on the breath test. She was charged with DUI and then transported to Kent Hospital for detox due to her high blood alcohol content.


Officer Gary Driscoll reported that a box truck belonging to a florist on Jefferson Boulevard went missing on July 19. The owner of the truck told him that the truck was not operational and whoever took it had to tow it. He said there were a number of markings on the truck, most notably “Carbone Florists” on both sides of the truck. He told Driscoll he last saw the truck on July 12. No suspects or witnesses.

Officer William Castaldi reported an air conditioner compressor being removed from the east side of a business on East Avenue on July 17. The manager at the company told Castaldi he noticed that it was very warm in the building and went around to check on the air conditioner and saw that the compressor had been cut out of it. He said it was a Payne model worth about $2,500. No suspects or witnesses.

A Foster man reported that he had been shopping at the Lowe’s store on Greenwich Avenue on July 16 and then left to go to the Home Depot for more building supplies when he realized he didn’t have his wallet with him. He said he backtracked to Lowe’s and asked about his wallet, but no one there had any information about it. He told Officer Robert Gauvin he was driving west on Route 113 and saw his wallet sitting in the middle of the road. He said he stopped and picked it up and saw that $1,500 in cash and several credit and debit cards were missing. Gauvin said Lowe’s loss prevention told him they had surveillance video of the man’s truck in the parking lot and the wallet was clearly visible on the top of the truck.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment