Police Log


The Police Log is a digest of reports filed by the Warwick Police.


The owner of Stevie D’s Automotive called police on July 22 to report numerous cars being vandalized on his lots. He told them he first noticed that a windshield on a Honda Element was cracked on July 19 but did not report it to police because they assumed it was the only car that was damaged. He said they checked out the other lots that morning, at 250 Oakland Beach Ave. and at 2570 West Shore Rd., and saw that there were other cars that had been vandalized, apparently with a BB gun. The owner reported that nine windshields were damaged. He said they do have video surveillance of the lots but he was not sure if they would yield any suspect information. He also said that each windshield would cost at least $200 to replace.


Three more people were cited for leaving animals in overly hot vehicles last week. ACO Jesse Brennan said he was dispatched to the parking lot of the JC Penney store in Warwick Mall around 4:20 p.m. on July 21. A Warwick Police officer told him he had the customer service counter at the store page the owner of a 2006 Nissan Altima three times and got no response. Brennan said there was a puppy inside the car and each window was cracked about three inches but his thermometer registered 98 degrees just inside the window. He said the police officer unlocked the car with his collapsible baton and put the dog in the front seat of the ACO truck with the air conditioner on and gave it water. He said he called both phone numbers on the dog’s tags with no response, so he took the dog to the animal shelter. He noted that the dog had been left unattended for 35 minutes since he got the call. He said he then tried one of the phone numbers again and this time got through. Brennan said he explained the situation to the owner and agreed to bring the dog back to the mall, where he issued the owner a ticket for leaving the dog in the car.

Officer Tammy Mello reported she was dispatched to Oakland Beach for an animal left inside a minivan around 2 p.m. on July 19. She said she found a chihuahua up on the back seat of the vehicle. She said she didn’t see anyone immediately close to the van, but she opened the door of the vehicle when she saw the dog was panting heavily and appeared to be stressed. He said the dog did not appear to be very friendly so she closed the door. A nearby man pointed to four adults swimming and Mello waved them in to shore. Mello said the owner of the dog told her they were at the beach for about five minutes. Mello said the weather report said it was 98 degrees outside with a heat index of 107. She said the dog was removed from the car and Mello gave the owner a cup of water for the dog. She said the dog took one sip and showed no further interest. The owner was given a ticket.

Officer John Curley reported he was dispatched to the Walmart on Post Road around 5:45 p.m. for a dog in distress in a parked car. A bystander pointed out the car and Curley said the dog was panting heavily. He said he went inside and had the owner paged. He said the woman who responded was not very cooperative and said she “was not gonna pay any fines.” He gave the woman a ticket and noted that the outside temperature was 92 degrees with a heat index of 102. The reporting party said the dog was in the car for 15 or 20 minutes before they called the police and that he and his sergeant were there for about 15 minutes before the owner came out of the store.


Officer Matthew Higgins reported he was dispatched to South Shore Avenue around 8:30 a.m. on July 22 for a report of a missing outboard motor. The owner told him his boat was moored about 30 feet from shore behind his house and the eight horsepower outboard on the boat was gone. A neighbor of the boat owner told Higgins he saw two men in their late teens to early twenties around the boat around 3 p.m. the day before. He said they had fishing poles but were apparently only pretending to fish because, after he saw them leaving the area, he noticed that the outboard was missing and told his neighbor about the incident. Higgins said he took down all the information about the motor and entered it as stolen in RILETS and NCIC. He said he had no further information and forwarded his report to detectives for follow up.


Officer Darren Parrillo reported the theft of three phones that were on display at the AT&T Wireless store on Bald Hill Road on July 20. The clerk told Parrillo there were three missing but they had video of one person taking two of the phones and putting them in his pockets. No video was there for the third phone. She told Parrillo the phones were Galaxy S4s and were worth $649 each. No names for suspects so far.


Officer William Castaldi reported taking custody of two Connecticut men accused of shoplifting at the Walmart store on Bald Hill Road on July 17. Castaldi said loss prevention told him they saw the pair in the electronics section, placing video games and DVDs in either a purse or tucked into a waistband before walking out without paying for them. Castaldi said that Erica A. Lima, 24, of 4 South St., Stonington, Conn., was charged with stealing $355.44 and Todd M. Smith, 34, of 12 Kelly St., Pawcatuck, Conn., was charged with shoplifting one DVD worth $19.96. They were both told they could no longer come to the store and then taken to headquarters, where they were processed and held for the next session of District Court.

Allyson L. Demaine, 25, of 5 State St., North Kingstown, was charged with shoplifting on July 21 after loss prevention at the Something Fishy store on Jefferson Boulevard gave police the plate number of the car that the suspect left in was traced to her. Officer Gary Driscoll said he spoke with her and she denied being in the store and denied knowing the man she was with. Driscoll said he later learned that she was, in fact, the girlfriend of the man described and that they had video of her taking two pieces of coral worth $368 from a tank and concealing them in her purse. He said she then admitted she took the coral and she was charged with shoplifting and released with a summons. Driscoll said her boyfriend was in the lobby to pick her up and he warned Paul C. Dinonsie, 31, of 23 Asquah Dr., North Kingstown, that he was trespassed from the Something Fishy store and could be charged with trespassing if he returned.

Two Newport women were charged with stealing from the Macy’s store in Warwick Mall on July 17. Loss prevention told police that they saw the women selecting merchandise and removing the sensor on the goods in the fitting rooms before concealing them and leaving the store without paying for them. Aleksandra Samsonova, 20, of 120 John St., was charged with stealing $185. She was also charged with damaging a $59 garment while taking the tag off. Kristina Bulokhova, 20, of 160 Broadway, was charged with stealing a $24 wallet. They were both held for the bail commissioner and later released on $1,000 personal recognizance each.

Cynthia A. Lucke, 32, of 63 Tucker Ave., Cranston, was charged with stealing a variety of cosmetics and dog treats from the Target store at Warwick Mall on July 21. Loss prevention gave police video surveillance of the incident. Lucke was later released with a summons for District Court.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment