Police Log



Officer Darren Parrillo reported going to Something Fishy Inc. on Jefferson Boulevard on Aug. 16 to take a report of damage to two company vans. Employees told Parrillo they fired up two of the vans and heard very loud noises from them and learned that the catalytic converters on both vehicles had been cut out. No suspects or witnesses.

Officer Zachary Davis reported that another truck, belonging to the Droitcour Company on Graystone Street, made loud noises when it was started the morning of Aug. 20 and a quick look confirmed that the catalytic converter had been cut off the company truck. The manager told Davis he also noticed that the scrap metal dumpster on the other side of the building was missing some large metal pieces and many smaller scraps of metal. This time the company had video surveillance of the incident that was taken as evidence.


An Underwood Avenue man told police he returned to his vehicle after leaving it unlocked in the driveway on Aug. 18 and discovered that someone had taken about $75 worth of loose change from the cab of his pickup truck. No suspects or witnesses.

A Buttonwoods Avenue woman said she parked her car around 1 a.m. on Aug. 10 and came back around 7 a.m. to find her Samsung phone and her wallet, with a credit card and her Rhode Island driver’s license, was missing from the passenger seat of the car. No suspects or witnesses.

Officer James Vible reported he was investigating an automobile accident on Dryden Boulevard around 11:50 a.m. on Aug. 16 when a witness he was speaking with told him, incidentally, that his $500 mountain bike, which he kept on the back porch of his residence on Warwick Avenue, was gone when he looked for it that morning around 6:30 a.m. He said he last saw the bike around 10:30 p.m. the night before and added that his name, Daniel Dubinville, was engraved on the bottom of the bike’s frame. No suspects or witnesses.

Another homeowner reported $30 in change missing from his vehicle that was parked in Pilgrim Circle overnight on Aug. 16. He told Officer Britton Kelly he usually locks his truck but apparently forgot to the night before and someone grabbed his iPod Touch and the change when he returned to the truck that morning. No suspects or witnesses.


A 60-year-old woman who lives on Budlong Avenue described a new scam that someone tried on her on Aug. 20. She said she got a call on her landline around 3:30 p.m. She said it was a male voice and he told her he was in an accident and he needed money. She said she asked if it was her nephew and he said it was. She said she asked him why his “voice sounded funny,” and he told her they were in a car accident and they needed $2,000 and she should sent it by Western Union to “Maria F. Sota” in Chinandega, Nicaragua. She said she then asked the man why he didn’t just call his family, and he said he was “too embarrassed.”

She said he went further and said he was in a car that hit another car filled with tourists and he made a deal with a Nicaraguan lawyer to give him $2,000 to avoid spending the night in jail. The woman told Officer James Wenneman she already thought the call was suspicious and hung up on the man. She said a quick check with her nephew’s family determined that he was at home, here in the United States, with them. She told Wenneman there was no caller identification shown, so she had no idea where the call really came from.


Officer Nicholas DiNardo reported stopping a car after clocking it at 50 miles per hour on Cowesett Road around 6:25 p.m. on Aug. 9. He said he took off after the car and noticed that it had accelerated as he followed it and ignored his lights and siren until he caught up with it at Hardig and Centerville Roads. He said there was a strong odor of burnt marijuana in the car and the driver had a large container in his sweatshirt pocket that contained small plastic bags of what looked like marijuana. He said he also found more plastic bags, a scale and $510 in cash, which led him to believe the driver was selling marijuana. Brandon J. Dellatore, 28, of 25 School St., West Greenwich, was charged with possession with intent to deliver marijuana and later transported to the ACI and held without bail.


Officer Nicholas DiNardo reported stopping a mini-van on Bald Hill Road around 6:35 p.m. on Aug. 14 after a liquor store employee called dispatch to say a man came into the store intoxicated and refused to hand over his keys to employees who tried to dissuade him from driving. DiNardo said he caught up with the van and pulled it over on Universal Boulevard. He said the man appeared to be drunk and smelled strongly of alcohol and had to lean against the van to keep from falling. He said the man started the heel to toe test before he was told to and refused to respond to any requests or listen to instructions. He said the man asked for a cab to go home and then said he may be diabetic. DiNardo said he asked if he wanted to call rescue, but the man declined and continued to ignore instructions for a field sobriety test. He said the man was arrested and taken to headquarters, where he refused to take a breath test and later refused to call a friend or family member to take custody of him. DiNardo said they eventually decided to take him to Kent Hospital for detox, where he was put in four-point restraints for being uncooperative and hostile to the staff. Ronald G. Dandeneau, 45, of 1485 Phenix Ave., Cranston, was charged with DUI and refusal and left in the care of the hospital.

Officer Matthew Moretti reported he pulled a car over for doing 89 miles per hour on Route 95 North around 1:55 a.m. on Aug. 17. He said the man had slurred speech and appeared to be intoxicated. He said he gave the driver a preliminary breath test with the portable analyzer and got a reading of .157 blood alcohol content. He said Paul Desper, 28, of 288 Smithfield Ave., Pawtucket, refused to take a breath test at headquarters. He was charged with DUI and refusal and speeding and later released to a sober adult.

Officer Christopher Lo reported an accident at Centerville Road and Route 95 around 7:30 p.m. on Aug. 11. He said one of the drivers had an odor of alcohol on her breath and he asked her to take a field sobriety test. Lo said the woman failed the field sobriety test and was arrested on suspicion of drunk driving. Kerri Felice, 37, of 70 Burnside Ave., Woonsocket, was charged with DUI after she blew a .139 and a .150 blood alcohol content on the breath test. She was also charged with possession of seven grams of marijuana found in her purse. A female juvenile in the other vehicle involved in the accident was taken to Kent Hospital for minor injuries suffered in the rear-end collision.

Officer Timothy Kenyon reported a hit and run accident on Post Road around 8:50 p.m. on Aug. 20 and that he located the suspected car on Narragansett Parkway after a short search. He said there was significant damage to the front of the 2001 Dodge Neon but the airbags had not deployed. He said the driver was standing next to the car and denied he had anything to drink other than two ounces of rum earlier that day but appeared to be under the influence anyway. He said the driver failed a field sobriety test and was arrested for suspicion of drunk driving. He said another officer found a half bottle of rum in the driver’s side door panel. John Meyers, 70, of 225 Lenox Ave., Providence, was taken to headquarters, where he refused to take a breath test. He was charged with DUI, refusal and having an open container of alcohol in the car.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment