Police Log



Security at Warwick Mall told a Charlestown woman she was no longer allowed to come to the mall after she was arrested for shoplifting at Macy’s on Oct. 19. Macy’s told police Donna Maclean, 43, of 32 Fifth Ave., walked up to the Sunglass Hut and put a pair of glasses on her face and took another pair and concealed them in her purse before leaving the store without paying for the sunglasses. Officer Javier Cabreja reported that one pair of sunglasses from Prada cost $205 and the second pair from Dolce & Gabbana was priced $169.95. Maclean was later released from headquarters with a summons for shoplifting.

Melanie H. Fox, 37, of 143 Cottage Grove Ave., Warwick, was arrested at Macy’s on Oct. 19 and charged with shoplifting after loss prevention at the store recovered $454.48 worth of merchandise from a shopping bag and handbag used to conceal the merchandise. Loss prevention told police she entered the handicapped fitting room with 20 items and emerged later with only three items visible. She was stopped outside the north door and held for police. Officer Cabreja said mall security came and took a picture of Fox and advised her she would be arrested for trespassing if she returned to the mall. Cabreja said she was taken to headquarters, where she was held for the bail commissioner as a bail violator from a prior arrest on Oct. 1.

A loss prevention agent at Sears told Officer Kevin McGuire that John W. Hayes, 48, of 239 Public St., Providence, came in the store and put on a jacket from a rack and a pair of sunglasses from a display before he took a shirt and concealed it in his backpack and then walked out of the store without paying for any of the goods. McGuire said Hayes asked him if he could just leave, because he had given all of the stolen stuff back to the loss prevention people who stopped him outside and was probably disappointed when he was taken to headquarters and held for the next session of District Court in the morning.


A homeowner on Haverhill Road called police on Oct. 19 to report that she put her recycling bins out at the curb about two weeks before and has not seen them since. She told Det. Edmund Pierce she reported the missing bins about two weeks before. She said they were the larger bins (gray, blue and green) and she hasn’t seen them since. No suspects or witnesses.


Two people told police they were inside the YMCA on Centerville Road on Oct. 19 when their property was stolen. A man from Saunderstown said a $450 Droid phone was missing from his locker, along with the lock for the locker. A man from Coventry said his various credit and debit cards, $60 cash and an iPhone were missing from his locker, along with the lock itself. Officer John Zaborski said that the locker looked as if the lock had been cut off and the locker itself cut. No suspects or witnesses. The manager told Zaborski there was no video surveillance of the lockers.

A patron at Healthtrax on Post Road told police he was in the club between 5 and 7 p.m. on Oct. 18, and when he returned to his unlocked locker he discovered that his keys were missing from his pants and used to get inside his pickup truck and steal his wallet, with its numerous credit cards and about $250 in cash. The manager told police there are no surveillance cameras in the locker rooms. No suspects or witnesses.


Officer Nicholas Reay reported he was working on a DUI report around 1 a.m. at headquarters on Oct. 17 when another officer asked him to help her with a DUI suspect who claimed he was a mixed martial arts fighter and was threatening offers and saying “I will beat your ass” to several officers and a jailer. Reay said the suspect remained confrontational as they waited to take a breath test and at one point said to Reay, “So what’s going to happen tomorrow when I kill you?” and repeatedly said he had the ability to kill anyone he wanted.

Reay said he was leading the man toward a holding cell when he pulled away from officers and wedged himself in a corner and assumed a fighting stance and threw an elbow in Reay’s direction and Reay responded with a punch to the suspect’s right cheek, the momentum of which forced his head into the wall, creating a small gash over the suspect’s eye. Rescue was called and the suspect was taken to Kent Hospital for minor injuries.

Officer Keri-Ann Leighton-Fialho reported arresting the man earlier on suspicion of DUI and, in spite of his continual threats and calling her a “stupid little [expletive],” the man agreed to take a breath test. She said Jose Gomez, 33, of 364 Public St., Providence, blew a .228 and a .231 blood alcohol content on the breath test. He was charged with DUI and assault and left in the care of the emergency staff at Kent.


Officer Terrence McMullin reported he was on patrol around 1:30 a.m. and was negotiating a dark, blind curve on Narragansett Parkway when he saw another car heading straight for him at a high rate of speed. He said he quickly swerved into another lane and up onto the curb to avoid a crash. He said the other car jumped the curb into a yard and onto the lawn at 628 Narragansett Pkwy., through a tree, braking it off at the stump, and then into a guardrail, where it stopped. He said he went to check on the occupants and found the sole occupant climbing out of the driver’s seat, saying, “I’m sorry,” as he held onto the car for support. He said he asked him if he was injured and the driver replied, “Naw,” and reiterated that he was sorry. He said the driver was aware enough to take a field sobriety test but not enough to pass it. He said the driver submitted to a breath test at headquarters and registered a .256 and a .265 blood alcohol content. Kyle Snow, 21, of 94 Taft St., Upton, Mass., was charged with DUI and laned roadway violations and held for the next session of District Court.

Officer Manuel Pacheco reported he was on patrol in Hoxsie Four Corners around 8 p.m. on Oct. 19 when he saw a car that was the object of an “attempt to locate” call earlier for erratic driving in Apponaug stopped at a red light. He said he followed the car onto Airport Road, where it quickly accelerated to 60 miles per hour and swerved over the double yellow lines. He pulled the car over. He said the driver had bloodshot, watery eyes and appeared to be intoxicated and smelled of alcohol. He said he administered a field sobriety test and the driver failed it. He said the driver also consistently refused to give an adequate breath sample at headquarters and was finally charged with refusal, DUI, speeding and laned roadway violations. Arthur M. Lima, 48, of 65 Overbrook Ave., Warwick, was later released to a sober adult.

Officer Charles Austin reported stopping a car he saw swerving in and out of travel lanes on Airport Road around 12:30 a.m. on Oct. 19. He said the car almost hit the curb several times before he stopped it and noticed that the man smelled of alcohol and appeared to be drunk. He said the driver failed a field sobriety test and refused to take a breath test at headquarters. Matthew M. Brown, 44, of 125 Betsy Williams Dr., Warwick, was charged with DUI and refusal and later released to a sober adult.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment