Police Log



Officer Christopher Fernandes reported he was on patrol around 1:10 a.m. on Nov. 10 when reports came in about two white males breaking fences near City Hall on Post Road. The caller reported they were heading onto the area around the railroad trestle on West Shore Road who ran into an industrial park as Fernandes came upon them. An initial search was fruitless but Fernandes said he came upon the suspects at Long Street and Bowen Briggs Avenue around 40 minutes later. He said the two men denied smashing anything in the area and said they were coming from a party at a friend’s house nearby but refused to give an address for “Jacqueline Smith” to verify they were at her party. He said they eventually admitted they had been drinking in West Warwick and walked into Warwick from the area of the Pep Boys store and had been “knocking down” signs “like a football player.” One of them said he knocked down about four signs but the other one told them his companion had been knocking down signs since they entered Warwick and didn’t stop until they got past Apponaug. Fernandes said they eventually gave police the route they took and police retraced the route, taking pictures of the damage as they made their way down Cowesett Road, to Hardig Road, onto Centerville Road and through Apponaug. Sgt. John McAniff reported taking a series of 32 pictures of 10 locations, 8 of which showed permanent damage from one of the men running into them like a charging football player; including the St Catherine’s lawn sign, which was snapped in two, a Sparrow Point sign and light; a light fixture on Hardig; a metal business sign; a Crossman Engineering sign, the Warwick Central Baptist School sign; the Place Jewelry bench, which was knocked over; a Strauss Financial sign; and a Vortex sign, which was hit just before Fernandes came upon them earlier. Nicholas C. Capuano, 19, of 169 Kerri Lyn Rd. in Warwick was charged with obstructing police. Matt Munford, 18, of 75 Nooseneck Rd. in West Greenwich was charged with vandalism and malicious damage to property.


Two men from Georgia will be arraigned on first-degree robbery charges stemming from an incident at the Motel 6 on Jefferson Boulevard last July. A Statewide Grand Jury charged Jacorey Bryant, 23, of 386 Parkway Dr. in Atlanta, and Ira Malcom, 20, of 7612 Pleasant Hill Rd. in Lithonia with robbing a man of his cell phone and cash. Bryant and Malcom will be arraigned in Kent County Superior Court on Dec. 6.


A Massachusetts man was charged with leaving the scene of an accident on Nov. 9 and was subsequently charged with possession of narcotics with intent to deliver and obstructing a police officer. Officer Charles Austin reported that the accident occurred near the Target store at 1245 Bald Hill Rd. and the white SUV involved had fled from the scene toward Cranston. Austin said police spotted the SUV on Toll Gate Road and were arresting the driver for driving on a suspended license and did an inventory search incident to arrest. Police found some empty plastic bags usually associated with narcotics sales and had a canine search the interior. They discovered 39 grams of amphetamines, some packaged for 1-gram sales, in the SUV. Jonathan R. Aquino, 25, was charged with leaving the scene of an accident, possession of narcotics with intent to deliver, driving on a suspended license and obstruction of an officer for pretending to be his younger brother when police asked for identification. His passenger, Michael Taite, 42, with no address given, was also arrested on felony drug charges. Both men were held without bail at the ACI.


Frank D. Calenda, 55, of 58 Broadway in Providence was charged with felony shoplifting on Nov. 9. Loss prevention told police they heard a cable alarm go off in their tool section and watched as a man placed two DeWalt Combo drill kits in a cart and then walked out of the store. They said he went to his car and smoked a cigarette. They said he finished the cigarette and then opened the trunk to the car and went back inside. They said he had a short conversation with a cashier and then went and retrieved the two kits, worth $499, and walked out of the store without paying for them. Officer Eric Lima said a check revealed that Calenda had several prior convictions for shoplifting and was currently on a five-year probation from a conviction on April 13, 2012 when he got five years probation, three and a half years suspended with 15 months to serve. A check of court records indicates that Calenda has over 427 court appearances under a number of aliases.

Corisa L. Fratiello, 21, of 124 Samuel Ave. in Pawtucket, and Joshua Robinson, 20, of 14 Heath Ave. in Providence were arrested at Macy’s on Nov. 11 and charged with shoplifting. Loss prevention told police they recovered $98 worth of clothes from Robinson and $145 worth from Fratiello, who was also charged with damaging $243 worth of merchandise. Officer Aaron Kay reported that Robinson was on probation for resisting arrest in South Kingstown and out on personal recognizance from Central Falls for driving without a license. They were held for the next session of District Court.


Officer Christopher Lo reported he was dispatched to Cedar Swamp Road around 4:30 p.m. on Nov. 6 to assist in a drunk driving investigation. Dispatch said a vehicle registered there was involved in a hit-and-run. Lo said he was met at that address by the wife of the driver, who told him she removed the keys from the vehicle as soon as she saw her husband because he was too intoxicated to drive. Lo said the man was still sitting in the car when he spoke with him and asked him to get out for a field sobriety test. He said the man had to hold onto the vehicle to maintain his balance and stumbled and fell to his knee when he tried to walk and said he would not take a field sobriety test. Lo said he arrested the man on suspicion of drunk driving and took him to headquarters where he again refused to take a breath test. Gonran O. Torcq, 73, of 912 Cedar Swamp Rd. was charged with DUI, refusal and leaving the scene of an accident. Lo said records indicated that this was the second DUI and refusal for Torcq within five years. He was later released on $2,000 surety bail.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment