Police Log



Officer Nicholas Reay said a man on a stretcher outside the Stop & Shop on Quaker Lane told him he might have taken some “bath salts” before he went on a 90-minute mini-rampage in the rest rooms at the store. He told Reay he had been tearing down ceiling tiles and pulling toilets apart looking for money. Reay said he took a look and saw garbage cans thrown around, outlets pulled out and toilets in the men’s and women’s rooms were overflowing. Employees told police they believed he had been in the bathrooms for over 90 minutes. He said one employee told him it was part of his job to check the bathrooms from time to time and he came in and found the floor wet and the man covered in water. He said the man told him the toilet exploded on him and that he was in maintenance and was checking the pipes. He said he told him to leave, but when he came back an hour later he was still there and the ceiling tiles were missing and the toilet was overflowing and he called police. Reay said the man was transported to Kent Hospital for observation and evaluation. He was also given a summons for vandalism and left at the hospital. Reay said police were called back to the hospital later, after the man was treated and discharged but refused to leave the hospital. He said the man was transported to West Warwick, where a family member picked up the 31-year-old Rehoboth man.


A North Kingstown woman told Officer Michelle Caron she paddle-boarded from North Kingstown to Goddard Park on Nov. 16 and arrived around 5:30 p.m. and took a walk for 10 minutes and came back to find her board and her paddle were gone. She said the BIC board and oar were worth around $600. No suspects or witnesses.


Officer Nadine Pallini reported a break into a foreclosed house on Benefit Street on Nov. 14. A contractor told her he checked the residence that day and found that one of the three water heaters with copper worth around $500 was missing. No suspects.

A woman on Sagamore Street called police on Nov. 9 to report a pink bicycle and a red pedal go-cart were missing from her yard. She said the $100 bicycle had green trim and had the word “Troublemaker” on it. The $200 go-cart had “Original Go Cart” written on it. No suspects or witnesses.

A Warwick man told Officer Julio Benros he left a black 2014 Ford Explorer behind O’Rourke’s Bar on Post Road around 10 a.m. on Nov. 10 and came out later to discover it was gone. He said the vehicle had his wallet, a set of golf clubs, personal property, business papers belonging to or relating to Tasca Ford, a paycheck and some credit cards. Benros said he put an attempt to locate notice to surrounding communities. Benros said he was there while the victim was canceling his various cards and learned that one of them was used to at a 7-Eleven at 270 Broad St. in Providence for a $57.88 purchase around 10:29 a.m. and another was attempted at a Cumberland Farms at 1297 Broad St. around 12:45 p.m. Benros said he then got a call from the State Police around 2:50 p.m. reporting that they found the vehicle at Pine and Linden Streets in Providence. RISP told him they arrested one suspect but the second suspect got away.

Two more catalytic converters were reported stolen between Nov. 13 and 14. The first was reported around 10:50 a.m. at Rhode Island Kitchen and Bath on Jefferson Boulevard. The owner told Officer James Vible a worker started the company van that morning and it made a very loud noise. A trip to the repair shop revealed that the missing catalytic converter was the cause of the noise and the shop said it would cost $775 to replace. No suspects or witnesses.

Officer Gilda Fortier reported another missing converter from a van owned by Fagnant Carpet on Gilbane Street. The owner told Fortier he went to use the van and heard a loud noise. He said he then drove the van to a repair shop in West Warwick and was told the converter was cut out of the exhaust system and it would cost about $700 to repair. No suspects or witnesses.


Officer John Curley reported taking a woman into custody at the Walmart on Post Road on Nov. 16. A loss prevention agent told Curley he saw the woman selecting merchandise around the store before she attempted to leave without paying for the stuff she had in her carriage and a Walmart bag. Leia E. DaSilva, 33, of 81 Dixie Ave., Warwick, was arrested and charged with shoplifting and released on $2,000 surety bail.

Officer Jason Cooke said he went to the Sears store at Rhode Island Mall on Nov. 15 for an adult female being held for shoplifting. Loss prevention told him they saw the woman take three winter hats and two gloves and conceal them in her purse before walking out of the store without paying for them. Sherry A. Olink, 47, of 3174 Post Rd., Warwick, was arrested and charged with stealing $134 worth of merchandise. She was later released with a summons.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment