Police Log



Four Providence men were arrested after Warwick Police responded to a house on Airway Road on Nov. 18.

Police responded to 83 Airway Rd. on Monday after a neighbor reported that three men who were not known to the neighbor entered the home. While police were preparing to enter the home to search for suspects, three of them exited by the sliding rear door and fled. Two suspects were immediately caught. The remaining two were captured a short time later. Warwick Canine “Fox” (handled by Officer Paul Wells) found one suspect hiding in a dumpster at a business on Jefferson Boulevard. The men have been identified as Johan Manon, 18, Edwin Castillo Frias, 20, Eddy Joham Santiago, 18, and Jheysson Perez Estrella, 23, all of Providence. All four men were charged with burglary and conspiracy. Castillo Frias was additionally charged with possession of a weapon. At least one of the men is suspected of a burglary in North Providence as well.


Officer Russell Brown reported he followed a car he saw take a right on red where it was not permitted and then clocked the same car doing 53 miles per hour on Post Road around 1:30 a.m. on Nov. 22. He said he stopped the car near Hade Court and learned that the plate on the car did not match the make and model for it. He said the driver told him he had no identification on him, but the information he gave came back with an outstanding warrant for failure to pay a fine for a previous offense. The car turned out to have an invalid bill of sale and was towed. Jason G. Dickson, 32, of 77 Waterman Ave., East Providence, was transported to the ACI on the outstanding warrant.


Officer Jason Cooke reported the theft of an inflatable Frankenstein’s monster from the roof of Spooky Town at 1020 Bald Hill Rd. on Nov. 23. He said the inflatable and all the cords, straps, power strips and the blower that kept it inflated were gone. He said the gear was worth about $3,200. He told Cooke it was a seasonal business and they were in the process of breaking the site down to move out. He said it was last seen on Nov. 3 when they unplugged it and when they came back to clean out the building that weekend they discovered that the monster was gone. The reporting party told Cooke he had already called the owners and asked if they had moved it and he had done a thorough check of the area to see if it had been blown off the roof by high winds but found nothing. He said the man had the receipt for the monster and its equipment that verified it cost $3,200. No suspects or witnesses.


A Winifred Avenue man told Officer Manuel Pacheco he came back from a Celtics game in Boston around 10 p.m. on Nov. 22 and noticed that a Fisher plow that he kept right behind the garbage can in his driveway was missing. He said he found the garbage cans had been moved and the plow was gone. He told Pacheco he checked with neighbors and they reported nothing out of the ordinary. He said his initials (“ZB”) were painted in black on the yellow plow. No suspects or witnesses.


Officer Britton Kelly reported he went to the lobby of headquarters around 10 a.m. on Nov. 23 to take a report of a catalytic converter stolen from a recreational vehicle on Wethersfield Drive. The owner told Kelly the Four Winds motor home had been parked there for about four weeks before she started it up and heard the noise that indicated the exhaust pipe had been cut. The owner said she would find a less secluded place to park the RV in the future. No witnesses or suspects. She said the repairs would cost about $1,000.


Loss prevention at the JC Penney store in Warwick Mall told police they saw a West Warwick woman trying on coats in the woman’s department before she wandered around talking on her cell phone before she put the coat over her arm and then walked out of the store without paying for it on Nov. 21. She was escorted back into the store and police were called. Nakia A. Andrews, 28, of 80 Cleveland St., was charged with stealing a $220 Worthington Volume coat and later released with a summons.

Officer Brian Murray reported stopping a man outside the Walmart store and brought him back inside. He said he was ordered to turn over the stuff he took from the store and he took wiring, light bulbs and chargers out of his pockets and then took off his boots to remove the insoles he put in them. Stephen Buono, 41, of 158 Warman Ave., Cranston, was charged with shoplifting $103.97 and later released with a summons.

Loss prevention at the Walmart store on Post Road told Officer Tomas Bogusz he saw a man walk out of the store carrying a shopping bag that set off the sensor alarms on Nov. 23. He said he walked toward the man who told him he had a receipt for what was in the bag and began to walk away, gradually speeding up until he was running down Post Road. Bogusz said officers checked the area but did not locate the suspect. Loss prevention believed he had about $150 worth of DVDs in the bag.


Officer Russell Brown reported he was on patrol around 1:35 a.m. on Nov. 18 when he estimated a car was traveling at 50 miles per hour on Post Road and crossed the double yellow lines before he stopped it at 110 Post Rd. He said the driver appeared to be intoxicated and said he didn’t speak English very well and had his passenger translate. He said the man told him he was going from Providence to the Sheraton Hotel and did not realize he was going in the wrong direction. He asked the man to take a field sobriety test and he failed it. Jose Reyes Pena, 20, of 37 Atwood St., Providence, was taken to headquarters, where he registered a .189 and a .188 blood alcohol content on the breath test. He was charged with DUI, driving without a license, speeding and laned roadway violations. He was later released to a sober adult.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment