Police Log



Officer Eric Lima reports arresting a North Kingstown woman at the JC Penney store in the Warwick Mall on July 12.

Loss prevention told Lima they watched her take a $25 Boston Celtics hat from the sports section and rip the sticker off the hat before she exited the store with the hat on her head. Katherine Vondrak, 47, of 275 Circuit Drive in North Kingstown, was later released from headquarters with a summons for District court.

Stacie A. Homenick, 30, of 3 Luther St. in Johnston, was arrested on July 15 at JC Penney after loss prevention told Officer Darren Parrillo they saw her take eye makeup from the Sephora section of the cosmetics department and drop the products in a Bath and Body Works shopping bag before leaving the store without paying for the goods. She was released from headquarters with a summons for shoplifting.

Meryl J. Lovitz, 32, of 211 Main St. in East Greenwich, was charged with stealing $242.20 worth of clothing from the Impulse section and the dress department of Macy’s in the Warwick Mall on July 23. Police say she concealed the goods in her handbag before attempting to leave the store without paying for the merchandise. She was later released form headquarters with a summons for District Court.

Sgt. Andrew Sullivan said he was given video surveillance and still photos of a West Warwick woman, who was known for prior incidents of shoplifting at the Walmart store on Post Road, with a carriage loaded with two large items attempting to leave the store without paying for the appliances. Loss prevention said she set off the alarm with a microwave oven and a home theatre system with security tags still attached.

Sullivan said Cherie A. Cosmo, 33, of 22 Mason St. in West Warwick, reportedly admitted it was she in the pictures taken at the store on June 20 and July 16 when she met with Sullivan to discuss the incident on July 24. She was charged with felony shoplifting because of prior convictions for the same crime and then held for the next session of District Court for arraignment.


Officer Adam Arico reports he was at a traffic post on Post Road around 9:15 p.m. on July 13 when a motorist stopped to tell him about an accident that just happened down the road.

He said he went to investigate and found a Dodge pickup and a Volvo station wagon still in the road, with both showing heavy front-end damage. He spoke with the driver of the pickup who told him he was driving from Chelo’s on Post Road toward his home when the Volvo turned from the southbound lane to attempt to pull into the plaza near the Chipotle restaurant, and he didn’t have time to stop before he hit the station wagon. An independent witness told Arico the pickup truck was driving without its headlights on just before it crashed into the Volvo.

Arico said the pickup driver smelled of alcohol and was swaying on his feet. He decided to give him a field sobriety test and the driver failed it. The driver was taken to headquarters where he refused to take a breath test. John J. Leahy, 53, of 72 Leigh St. in Warwick, was charged with DUI, refusal and driving without lights. He was later released to a sober adult.

Officer Hovsep Sarkisian reports an accident at Palmer and Grove avenues around 11:10 p.m. on July 17. He said a Ford Crown Victoria had heavy damage to the front passenger side and what appeared to be a snapped axle in the rear. He said he asked the driver what happened and driver said he was on Palmer Avenue when the front ball bearing snapped and he hit a rock. He said the driver smelled of alcohol and appeared to be under the influence, but he denied he had been drinking. He said the driver failed the field sobriety test and was taken to headquarters, where he refused to take a breath test. He was charged with DUI and refusal and failure to control his vehicle and driving without evidence of insurance. William L. Clark, 32, of 26 Leaf St. in West Warwick, was later released to a sober adult.

Sarkisian reports he was on patrol around 12:45 on July 11 when, through the rearview mirror, he saw a car approaching him at a high rate of speed. He said the car came within five feet of his bumper and stayed there for about 150 yards and continued to tailgate him. He said he pulled over so that the vehicle could pass him and he could get behind it and initiate a traffic stop, but the car stopped in the middle of Post Road for a few seconds and then continued south, while Sarkisian’s lights and sirens were on. He said they were doing 30 to 35 mph. He said he lit up the passenger compartment of the other vehicle with his spotlight and radioed that he was attempting a traffic stop, but the car rolled on for another three quarters of a mile and then turned onto Wolverstone Road without a signal and finally stopped in the driveway of 78 Wolverstone. He said the man got out of his car without waiting for Sarkisian and Sarkisian drew his weapon and ordered him to put his hands in the air. He said the man complied but remarked, “Are you kidding me?” before he was ordered to get on his knees and then get down on his stomach. The officer said he holstered his gun and then handcuffed the driver as other officers got his passenger out of the car. He said the driver continued to act confused about why he was being stopped but his companion told police she pleaded with him to pull over but he refused to listen and kept driving. The driver was given a field sobriety test and failed it. Sarkisian said the driver was taken to headquarters where he was asked to take a breath test but did not respond. The officer said the man was staring at the ground and refused to answer. He said he asked the man why he was not replying to his questions and he said, “You said that I have the right to remain silent.” Sarkisian said he told him he did have the right to remain silent but, if he didn’t answer his request to take a breath test one way or another, that would count as a refusal. He said the man didn’t reply and was charged with refusal. He was also charged with DUI, driving on a suspended license, refusal to yield to a traffic stop, not having insurance and tailgating. Donald Bumgardener, 41, of 78 Wolverstone Road, was later released to a sober adult.


Warwick detectives are looking for three men in connection with a human trafficking case involving a minor in an undisclosed hotel in Warwick:

Terrence Dudley, 26, with previous addresses in North Providence, North Kingstown and Providence, is also known as “Big Redd” and “Red Askari” and is described as 5’9” and 235 pounds, with black hair and brown eyes. He has multiple tattoos on his body and face and is known to have gang associations.

Xavier Sewell, 24, of North Providence, was arrested on July 7 but is currently out on bail.

Raymond Figuereo, 19, has no fixed address but has been seen in the Providence area recently. He is also known as “Domi” and may now be in the Dominican Republic. He is 5’10” and 180 pounds with black hair and brown eyes.

If you have any information about these people, call Detective Barbara Frazier of the Warwick Police at 401-468-4272.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment