Police Log



Officer Kevin McGuire reported he was dispatched to the Dickerson Brothers Marina on Arnold’s Neck Road around 5:20 p.m. on July 30 for a report of a stolen dinghy. A North Smithfield woman said the inflatable dinghy with a 3.5 horsepower Mercury outboard motor was missing. She said it was secured to the dock with a cable and a heavy-duty padlock. She said the name of her sailboat, “Longevity,” was painted on the dinghy, along with a Chinese symbol. She told McGuire the boat and motor was worth $2,000. She told McGuire a friend of hers reported seeing the boat as late as 7 p.m. the day before. No suspects or witnesses.


Anitha P. Kea, 23, of 27 Cutting Ave. in Cranston was arrested on July 28 and charged with conspiracy to commit felony larceny. Officer John Zaborski reported going to a larceny in progress call on Tremont Street around 11:15 p.m. He said Officer Christopher Lo already had a man in custody identified as Jacob Garcia, 23, with no address given, who was being charged with attempted felony larceny. They said he was caught attempting to remove all four wheels from a 2013 Toyota Corolla. Police said the wheels were worth a total of $1,600. Kea, who was waiting for Garcia in a car, was held overnight for arraignment in District Court.


Officer Michael Walker reported going to Specialized Orthopedics on Centerville Road around 7 a.m. on July 28 for a broken window. A manager there showed Walker two broken windows on the south side of the building. He told Walker everything was fine when they left the night before, so the damage must have been done overnight. He said he found a rock near the broken windows. He said it would cost $500 to fix the windows. No suspects or witnesses.


There were a number of larcenies reported on Merry Mount Drive on July 28. Officer Robert Hart said he was talking to one couple who had iPods and iPhones taken from their unlocked cars when a second resident came up and said his car had been rifled through as well and his Kindle reader and a cable for his iPod were gone. Hart said he was called back to Merry Mount Drive a few hours later when another homeowner reported a wallet and an 8g iPod were missing from her SUV. She said her husband’s car was parked next to hers but had not been entered because he locked it. None of the residences reported any unusual sounds or activity the night before.

A Toledo Avenue couple told Officer John Curley their cars had been rifled through overnight on July 28 and an iPod and some spare charge was taken. No witnesses or suspects.

A purse and four credit cards were taken from a car parked at the YMCA on Centerville Road on July 29. The wallet had no money in it and the woman said she had already canceled the cards. No witnesses.

A Warwick woman said she got home from shopping at Dave’s Market Place on Airport Road around 5:30 p.m. on July 28 and realized she didn’t have her purse. She said she immediately went back and saw the carriage she used where she left it but the purse was gone. She said there was around $140 in cash in a Coach wallet that was worth $300, an iPhone worth $200 and some gift cards worth about $100. No suspects or witnesses.

A Warwick man told police he was at the Wal-Mart in the Rhode Island Mall on July 30 and realized his wallet was missing when he left. He said he last saw the wallet in the Family Fun Center. He said his driver’s license, a credit card, his Social Security card and about $15 in cash were in the wallet. Officer Brian Murray said he told loss prevention about the wallet and they said they would call him if they found anything.


Officer Tammy Mello reported that two cars had their tires slashed sometime over night on Logan Street on July 30. Both owners said they had no idea who did it or why. No witnesses.

A man who lives on Samuel Gorton Avenue told police he found a series of BB holes in his fence over several days around July 29 and found his house had been egged when he came home after work that day and found about five eggs had been smashed on the side of his house. No suspects or witnesses.


Officer Kevin McGuire arrested a Providence woman at the Wal-Mart on Bald Hill Road on July 28. Loss prevention told him the woman, identified as Betty Figaro, 28, of 61 Atlantic Ave. set off the sensors when she went out the door with a shopping cart filled with 62 separate items worth a total of $442.89. They said most of the items were inside a large Tupperware container. Loss prevention provided video of the incident and Figaro was later released with a summons.

Loss prevention at the JC Penney store in the Warwick Mall told police they saw Ariana M. Vendettoli take two pairs of leggings into a fitting room and then emerge with none before she walked out of the store. A loss prevention employee said she found only one pair in the fitting room and recovered the other from Vendettoli’s purse. She was later released with a summons.


Officer Kerri-Ann Leigh-ton reported a one-car accident on Warwick Neck Avenue around 12:30 a.m. on July 28. She said the driver was alone in the car, in the middle of the road, with car parts spread out on the pavement. She said the driver told her he wasn’t injured and refused transportation to Kent Hospital. She said he admitted he had a “couple of beers” but he had difficulty performing a field sobriety test, after he told her, “You can take me. You got me.” She said he failed the test and was taken to headquarters where he refused to take a breath test and refused to sign the tickets he was issued for DUI and refusal.

Officer Melissa Shlitzer was also on the scene and spoke to another man who was disoriented and apparently drunk who denied he had been in the car, even though witnesses said there were two men who got out of the car after the crash. She said the man then started walking toward his residence. Shortly after that, she said she was flagged down by a man who told her there was a man face down on the ground a little way up the road. She said she found the passenger and had rescue take him to Kent Hospital for evaluation.


4 comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment

why no names of the driver and passenger of the DUI accident???? Or even an address where the accident occurred on Warwick Neck Avenue....Could this be a case of "who you know" or "money talks?" I think this is the first time I have seen that no name was included of some moron who gets into a car and drives impaired. Or how about the other moron who passed out in the road face down who claims he wasn't in the car.

Thursday, August 7, 2014

^^^^^ Exactly.

Thursday, August 7, 2014

I hope the Beacon posts a correction next Tuesday with the names!

Friday, August 8, 2014

Maggie123 - The second "moron" as you called him, is my son. And rest assured I have told him that getting in the car that night with someone who had been drinking, was NOT one of his brighter moments!!! However, the above log doesn't quite state everything completely. His "apparent drunkenness" was caused by a severe concussion. Something that the officer might have considered having checked considering the severity of the accident, instead of sending him off walking, especially given that if he was "apparently drunk" he is underage. I am thankful that he not only survived the accident, but that someone noticed him passed out in the road and got him help! As for the driver, "moron" is an appropriate description for starters! And I can assure you that the reason the names were not listed had nothing to do with my son and everything to do with who the driver's family knows! Please know all the facts before you spout off!

Friday, August 8, 2014