Police Log



Officer Christopher Lo reported he was dispatched to the All Stars Bar and Grill on Airport Road around 10:15 p.m. on Aug. 15 for a disturbance. Dispatch said a female customer was refusing to leave and had spit on a bartender. He said he arrived to find a woman, apparently intoxicated, stumbling over a car. He said he took her and put her in the back seat of his cruiser and asked her what happened but she was highly irate and claimed her son had been beaten up there. Lo said the bartender came outside and told him the woman came in the bar earlier and ordered a martini. She said she served the woman the martini and the woman began to ask her about her son being assaulted in the bar. The bartender said she realized the woman was intoxicated and tried to take the martini away from her and the woman spit at her, hitting her in the left eye. The bartender said she also started spitting at other people in the bar but she was the only one who would press charges. A witness also gave Lo a statement. The bartender said video of the incident would be available later. Stasia K. Costantino, 50, of 63 Kentucky Ave. in Warwick was charged with assault and later released with a summons.


Officer John Zaborski reported going to the Price Rite market at 945 Bald Hill Road around 4 p.m. on Aug. 12 for a report of a larceny of a purse. He said the woman he spoke with said her purse was in her shopping cart earlier and she drove away after loading her groceries in her trunk. She said she was halfway home before she realized she didn’t have the purse. He said they looked at surveillance tape in the store but the section of the lot where she was parked was not in view. He said he was still there when a stranger dropped off the purse at her home. Her husband told them there was nothing missing from the purse other than the cash the woman said was in it. Zaborski said she told him there was $1,400 in the purse but had no proof of it. The man who dropped it off said they found it in the parking lot of Haxton’s Liquors on Bald Hill Road.

Zaborski said he went to Haxton’s and viewed their video and saw a woman get out of a red Volvo and, soon after that, a Volkswagen pulled up next to the Volvo. He said there was no purse on the ground near the Volvo when the Volkswagen pulled in. He said the woman returned to the Volvo, reached in and grabbed a brown object, went to the front of the car, then got into the driver’s seat and then left the scene. He said the couple came back to the Volkswagen and the woman reached down and came up with a brown object and then brought it to the driver’s side to show the driver. He said they both went through the purse and then took the wallet to the address of the victim and gave it to her husband.

Zaborski said he traced the plate number of the Volvo to 84 Trellis Dr. and went there to speak with the owner. He said he was met at the door by the owner’s wife who handed him a white envelope and told him that was the money he was looking for. Zaborski said she described what happened and it all fit with what he knew. She said she found the purse in a cart in the Price Rite parking lot, took the purse and then drove to Haxton’s, where she took the envelope out of the purse and dropped the purse on the ground. Except that she said there was only $660 in the envelope. Nevertheless, Eileen Pereira, 50, of 84 Trellis Dr. was charged with stealing $1,400. She was later released with a summons.


Officer John Curley reported he was dispatched to the Wal-Mart on Post Road around 8:45 p.m. on Aug. 16 for a shoplifting in progress. Loss prevention told dispatch that a man with tattoos all over his neck had just removed a security device from a computer. They said he took the notebook computer to the infants department and removed the security wire and concealed the notebook behind a shelf. They said he then took a Bluetooth phone headset from its package and concealed the phone in his pocket. Curley said they never found the Bluetooth when they arrested him outside the store but Jonathon Leonard, 34, of 286 Concord St. in Manchester, N.H., was charged with removing a security device. He was later released on $3,000 surety bail.


Warwick police were sent to 58 Lucas Rd. in Warwick on Aug. 6 for a noisy party and found a garage and basement there filled with what they said were underage drinkers. Many of the young people ran away from the party when police arrived, but some of the more intoxicated kids hung around to fight with cops and get arrested, according to several reports.

One minor male and one minor female were charged with disorderly conduct and underage drinking. Randy Dobbins, 21, of 58 Lucas, was charged with procuring liquor for minors. Kayvan Castellanos, 20, of Warwick was charged with obstructing police and disorderly conduct. His juvenile girlfriend was charged with assault and resisting arrest.

Police also said that John C. Ranalli, 19, of 34 Brayton St. in East Greenwich was charged with DUI and refusal after he admitted he drove the mother of one of the juveniles to the police station. Officer David Waddington said he saw Ranalli at the party earlier and advised him not to drive because he was intoxicated. He said Ranalli was upset and frustrated because, he said, he was talked into driving the mother and brother of the arrested girl to the station because they were both too drunk to drive. Waddington said Ranalli registered a .119 blood alcohol content on a portable breath test but refused to take a second breath test on the station’s breath machine.


Officer Matthew Smith reported he was dispatched to Spring Green Road around 5 p.m. on Aug. 10 to conduct a field sobriety test on the driver of a pickup truck accused of leaving the scene of an accident on Namquid Drive. He said Donald R. Brunt, 50, of 296 Spring Green Rd., said he was too drunk and failed to finish the field sobriety test. He was taken to headquarters where he repeatedly asked for advice about taking the breath test and was repeatedly told officers could not advise him. He refused and was charged with DUI, refusal, laned roadway violations and leaving the scene of an accident.

Officer Keri-Ann Leighton reported stopping a car for doing 57 miles per hour on Greenwich Avenue around 1:25 a.m. on Aug. 13. She said the driver smelled strongly of alcohol and appeared to be intoxicated. She said he failed the field sobriety test and was taken to headquarters where he refused to take a breath test. Michael Didomenico, 29, of 265 Waterman Ave. in Esmond, was charged with speeding, DUI and refusal and later released to a sober adult.

Officer Quentin Tavares reported he was dispatched to the area of Elmwood Avenue and Post Road around 4:45 p.m. on Aug. 14 for a car that was described as going “all over the road.” He said he heard a second report of the same car stopped on Elmwood with two passed out males inside. He said he approached the driver who was slumped over the wheel and was unresponsive until Tavares shook him and he woke up in a panic and took his foot off the brake for a moment and then gave Tavares a bewildered look. He said the passenger was also passed out. He said the driver stumbled out of the car and admitted he had a prescription for Lorazepam, the generic form of Ativan, a high potency tranquilizer. He said he had it filled that day but Tavares said there were only 17 pills left in the bottle. He said they also found knives and two needles in the car but no other drugs. Tavares said it was obvious that both men were incapable of driving at that point and Cody C. Bobst, 25, of 558 Maple St. in Mansfield, Mass., was transported to Kent Hospital for chemical testing. Tavares said Bobst refused to be tested and was taken to headquarters and charged with DUI and refusal.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment