Rev. Raymond E. Dyer
Rev. Raymond E. Dyer, 89, Pastor Emeritus of St. Kevin Church, Warwick, died April 7, 2012.
Born in Providence, the son of the late Martin F. and Anna U. (Burns) Dyer, he attended public schools, LaSalle Academy and Providence College. He completed studies for the priesthood at St. Mary Seminary, Baltimore, Maryland, and at the Catholic University of Washington, D.C. and was ordained a priest on June 15, 1946 at the Cathedral of SS. Peter and Paul in Providence by Bishop Francis P. Keough.
In July 1946 Fr. Dyer was appointed assistant pastor of St. Augustin Church and teacher at de LaSalle Academy in Newport. In 1952 he was transferred to St. Augustine Church in Providence as assistant pastor. From 1952 to 1958 he was a teacher at LaSalle Academy in Providence and from 1958 to 1972 chaplain at the Fr. Patrick I. O’Rourke Children’s Center also in Providence. In February 1971 he became pastor of St. Joseph Church in North Scituate. In February 1976 Fr. Dyer was transferred as pastor to St. Kevin Church in Warwick and served there until his retirement as pastor emeritus in January 1992.
After his retirement from parish administration, Fr. Dyer became chaplain at Mt. St. Rita Health Centre in Cumberland and offered weekend help at various parishes, especially at St. Joseph Church in Ashton.
In addition to his parish and teaching duties, Fr. Dyer served also as chaplain of the Newport Society of the Junior Catholic Daughters of America (1952); chaplain of the Providence Squadron No. 3B RI Wing Civil Air Patrol (1953); chaplain for the North Scituate Police Department (1972); chaplain of the Warwick Firefighters Association Local #2748 (1980); and a member of the Council of Priests’ of the Diocese of Providence (1987-90).
Fr. Dyer was the brother of the late Sister Ida E. Dyer, RSM.
A concelebrated Mass of Christian Burial for the repose of his soul was held April 11 at Mount Saint Rita Health Centre Chapel, Sumner Brown Road, Cumberland. Burial was in St. Francis Cemetery, Pawtucket.