Seniors eligible to apply for $1,000 Caruso scholarships
Warwick high school seniors are now welcome to apply for the 2013 John A. Caruso Annual Scholarship. The scholarship is sponsored by the Warwick Sewer Authority’s Industrial Pretreatment Program and is awarded to students who plan to pursue a career in pure or applied sciences, environmental studies or engineering.
The scholarship is named in memory of John A. Caruso, who was the chairman of the Warwick Sewer Authority for over 20 years.
Selected students will be awarded a one-year scholarship of $1,000, which will be paid directly to the student’s future college or university. One scholarship will be awarded per high school; students must be a member of the Class of 2013 at Warwick Veterans Memorial High School, Toll Gate High School or Pilgrim High School.
Applications must include the following:
• A completed 2013 Annual Scholarship Award Application form
• Proof of acceptance to a post-secondary institution (If a student is still waiting to hear about acceptance, they may still apply. Awards will be withheld until a letter from the Registrar certifies that the student is registered at a college or university, and in good standing has been provided.)
• Documentation of financial need determined by Parent’s Scholarship Financial Statement
• A copy of the student’s high school transcript with grades
• A letter of recommendation from the student’s principal or guidance counselor, and an additional letter from an academic teacher
• Evidence of participation in extracurricular activities and/or community service
• An essay describing the student’s chosen field of study, reasons for their future career choice and the goals the student hopes to achieve in the field.
All complete applications must be submitted by May 31; incomplete applications will not be considered.
Applications can be sent to Warwick Superintendent of Schools, Richard D’Agostino, at 34 Warwick Lake Ave., Warwick, Rhode Island 02889.