Understanding radon exposure
To the Editor:
January is National Radon Action Month and the American Lung Association would like to raise awareness of how radon can affect your lung health. Many may not be aware of what exactly radon is; radon is a colorless, tasteless and odorless gas that is found in soil and forms radioactive byproducts, which eventually can damage tissue inside your lungs and cause lung cancer. Radon enters your home, school or office building through cracks in the foundation or even through pipes or the water supply. People who have private wells are more at risk than people with community water supply.
Prolonged radon exposure is the second leading cause of lung cancer after smoking. There are countless health risks to those living inside a home with high levels of radon. According to EPA, smoking combined with radon exposure is considered a severe health risk.
Testing your home is the best way to find out whether you are being exposed to high levels of radon. The Lung Association sells radon kits for only $12. They are available at www.LungNE.org/products or by calling 1-800-LUNG-USA.
Jeff Seyler, President & CEO
American Lung Association of the Northeast