Police Log - Grinched!



Officer Julio Benros responded to a Lakedell Drive residence on November 30 around 8:12 a.m. for a report of a theft of Christmas lawn ornaments.

At the scene the officer met with the resident who reported that his lawn ornament, a laser projector valued at approximately $40, was stolen from the front lawn of his home. He also reported that his wife saw someone walking in front of his home around 5:30 a.m., however he was unable to provide any further information about that person.

A complaint was taken, and the report was forwarded to department detectives as a heads-up.


On November 25 at approximately 2:31 p.m. Officer Rose Michel was dispatched to Kent Hospital for a report of a larceny from a motor vehicle.

At the hospital the officer met with the reporting party, who stated that she parked and locked her husband’s truck at approximately 6:45 a.m. When she returned to her vehicle later that afternoon, she observed that the driver’s side window was smashed. Several miscellaneous tools, valued at $65, and a spare key were missing. In addition to the smashed window, the driver’s side rain guard was damaged and driver’s side seat cover was torn.

A report was taken and hospital security informed the officer that they would review security footage from surveillance cameras and inform the police of their findings.


Around 8 p.m. on November 25, Officer Derek Mourato observed a black Infinity traveling east on Post Road that was swerving in and out of the lane of travel. He followed the vehicle, which reportedly continued to swerve, eventually crossing over the double yellow lines and nearly collided with another vehicle head on. A traffic stop was then initiated in front of Balise Auto.

Contact was then made with the driver, identified as Nimara Seng, 36, of 45 Hanover Street, second floor in Providence. While standing at the driver’s side door, the officer reported that he detected a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage emanating from the vehicle and that Seng exhibited signs of intoxication. Seng told the officer that he was coming from work and that he had not consumed any alcohol that evening. He stated that he was having a coughing attack and that was the reason he was swerving. Seng then agreed to partake in a series of standardized sobriety tests.

A portable breath test was given to Seng, which provided a blood alcohol reading of .156 percent. Based upon his test results and the officer’s observations, it was determined that Seng was unfit to operate a motor vehicle safely and was taken into custody for suspicion of driving under the influence. He was taken into custody and transported to police headquarters while his car was driven away by a sober passenger. At the station, he refused to take a chemical breathalyzer test.

As Seng was on federal probation, his parole officer was contacted and advised of the charges. Officers were told that Seng would be contacted following his release.

Justice of the Peace Steve Catalano arrived and arraigned Seng for his charges, and Seng was able to bail himself out. He was charged with driving under the influence, first offense, refusal to submit to a chemical test, driving on a suspended license third offense, and laned roadway violations.


Officer Timothy Tavares was dispatched to a Fair Street residence on November 26 at approximately 3:30 p.m. for a report of a larceny from a motor vehicle. At the scene he met with the complainant who stated that sometime overnight his work van was broken into and several tools were stolen. The man told the officer that three Husky bags containing various Husky tools valued at about $600 had been taken. A report was written for documentation purposes, and there are no suspects at this time.


On November 27 at about 11:10 a.m., Officer James Vible responded to the rear parking lot of Kent Hospital for a report of a theft from a work van.

At the scene the officer met with an employee of Izzo Electric, who advised that he is a contractor conducting work at the hospital and that he parked his work van in the parking lot at about 7:30 in the morning. When he returned to the van at 10:45 he found that the passenger side window of the rear double door had been broken and that his tool bag was missing. Contained inside was approximately $1,270 worth of equipment.

Hospital security advised that they had dispersed a white male in his mid 40s who was operating a white cargo van in the area. Security stated that the man had parked in two spots directly behind the work van. The victim stated that he wished to press charges if a suspect was found, and the report was forwarded to department detectives for review.


While on patrol on November 28 at approximately 6:15 p.m., Officer James Wenneman was dispatched to the Bald Hill Road TJ Maxx for a report of a shoplifter in custody.

At the store the officer met with a loss prevention detective who had the suspect, identified as Kristen Smith, 28, of 200 Woodland Drive, Apt. 234 in Coventry, detained in the security office. Smith was reportedly observed in the men’s department selecting clothing and other items and concealing them in a handbag. She then walked out of the store, passing all points of sale without making a purchase. She was then stopped and brought back inside the store, where $258.91 worth of merchandise was recovered.

Smith was then taken into custody and transported to police headquarters. There it was discovered that Smith had a prior conviction for shoplifting. It was determined that she would be charged with shoplifting-felony and habitual offender. She was fingerprinted and processed, and issued a no trespass order for TJ Maxx.


Officer Manuel Pacheco was dispatched to a Jefferson Street residence on November 29 around 4 p.m. for a report of a theft from a car.

At the home he met with the victim, who stated that when she went to her vehicle she noticed that the interior light was on and her battery was dead. She also noted that her belongings were scattered throughout the car. Her GPS and two phone chargers were missing, and the lower portion of her windshield was shattered. She said she was pretty sure that the vehicle had been locked in the driveway of the residence at the time.

There are currently no suspects, and the case was forwarded to detectives for possible follow-up.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment