Warwick Police Log


The Police Log is a digest of reports filed by the Warwick Police.

A Providence woman was charged with being a habitual offender on Dec. 21 after loss prevention agents at Macy’s in the Warwick Mall recognized her as a person who stole two pairs of sunglasses from the Sunglass Hut located inside Macy’s on Dec. 16. Agents told police they saw her go into the men’s fragrance area with a large brown handbag and proceed to put a gift set of Polo in her handbag and then got to the jewelry department and selected two silver rings to put in her pocket, then to watches where she selected three watches and concealed them in her jacket and then walked out of the store. They said they took her back inside and recovered $392.50 worth of goods from her. They also showed police video from Dec. 16 of the woman walking away with two pairs of sunglasses worth $490 that she never paid for. Lydia Laboy, 49, of 309 Admiral St. in Providence was taken to headquarters where she was charged with felony shoplifting and being a habitual offender. Court records indicate that Laboy has 19 prior arrests, mostly for shoplifting.
A Warwick man was charged with larceny and shoplifting from the Sears store in the Rhode Island Mall on Dec. 22 after loss prevention told police they saw him take a bottle of Eternity cologne form the fragrance counter and conceal it in his pocket before exiting the store without paying for the goods. They told police they caught him outside and recovered the Eternity cologne and two “tester” sprays from him from LaCoste and Burberry. Donald E. Stone, 31, of 55 Harmony Ct. was charged with being a habitual offender after police learned he had 17 prior arrests for shoplifting and other crimes. He was charged with larceny for taking the two testers because it is only “shoplifting” if you take something that is for sale and demonstrators are not for sale. Stealing them was plain larceny.

A 59-year-old Providence woman told police she was shopping in the Salvation Army Thrift Shop on Greenwich Avenue on Dec. 20 and left her pocketbook with her shopping cart while she was looking at men’s shirts. She said she looked back at the cart at one point and noticed that her purse was gone. She said there were two men in the area but she did not see who took the purse. She said she had a checkbook, her license, a Sovereign bankcard and $1,000 in cash in the purse. Officer William Castaldi said the entire store was checked, as well as the woman’s vehicle to no avail. No suspects or witnesses.
A Spruce Street resident told police he left a 24-foot aluminum extension ladder with outriggers hanging on his garage and noticed that it was gone on Dec. 18. He said the last time he noticed the ladder was on Dec. 15 and no one had permission to borrow it. He said it cost $255.
An employee at Cardi’s Construction on Lincoln Avenue told police he came to work on Dec. 22 and found one of the front windows of a pickup truck broken and a remote control for a Fisher plow was missing. No suspects.
A truck that is owned by the Michel’s Corporation of Brownsville, Wis., was found with a broken window at the Hampton Inn on Post Road on Dec. 22. The person reporting the break said a Tom Tom GPS unit worth $300 was missing, along with a Trimble grading laser that cost $1,000. No suspects or witnesses.
An Oniska Street man called police to report that an aluminum bat he bought online was reported delivered on Dec. 20 but neither he nor his wife found it at their residence. He said the bat cost $84.99 and no neighbors took the package in for them. No suspects.

Officer Eric Lima reported getting a call about a possible DUI near Narragansett Parkway at Howie Avenue around 4:50 p.m. on Dec. 21. He said he caught up with the suspect vehicle near Warwick Avenue as it was crossing the centerline, threatening traffic in the other directions. He said the driver of the Jeep Wrangler smelled of alcohol and admitted he had been drinking and had “quite a bit” to drink before he was stopped. Lima said the driver failed a field sobriety test nearly six times before he finally said, “I can’t do this, I’m drunk.” Daniel F. Theroux, 59, of 169 Namquid Dr. was taken to headquarters where he blew a .229 and a .221 blood alcohol content on the breath test. He was charged with DUI, laned roadway violation and driving an unregistered vehicle and then taken to Kent Hospital for detox.
Officer Michael Walker said he was on patrol around 1:10 a.m. on Dec. 20 when he was dispatched to an accident near Lowe’s on Greenwich Avenue. He said he arrived as they were pulling off the street into the parking lot. Walker said that it appeared that one of the drivers was under the influence and he spoke with her separately. He said she agreed to take a field sobriety test and she failed it. He said he arrested the driver on suspicion of drunk driving and took her to headquarters where she refused to take a breath test. Heather A. Knox, 33, of 31 Oakside St. in Warwick was charged with DUI, refusal and traffic violation and later released to a sober adult.
Officer Joshua Myer reported an accident between a police cruiser and a VW beetle on Dec. 20. Myer said he heard Sgt. Thomas Snow was conducting a traffic stop on Airport Road when the beetle struck his squad car. Myer said he made contact with the beetle’s driver and she appeared to be under the influence even as she denied she had been drinking. He said he determined that she was not apparently injured and could take a field sobriety test. He said she failed the test and was taken to headquarters where she refused a breath test. Lori A. Giolitti, 43, of 52 Merle St. in Warwick was charged with DUI and refusal and later released to a sober adult.
Officer Nicholas DiNardo reported an accident near Brady’s Liquors on West Shore Road around 9:20 p.m. on Dec. 20. DiNardo said he went to talk to a man who had a rag to his face and told him there were people who said he wasn’t driving the car when the accident happened but the man insisted he was and that his friends were trying to cover up for him because he had “quite a bit to drink about four hours earlier in the day” and he would “take full responsibility for my actions.” DiNardo said Rescue arrived and stabilized the man. He said he did a nystagmus eye test on the driver that indicated 6 out of 6 signs that he was intoxicated. He said Scott Maranda, 48, of 45 Ardway Ave. in Warwick was taken to Kent Hospital for evaluation where he refused to take a blood test. He was charged with DUI, refusal, driving on a suspended license and having an open container of alcohol in his vehicle and left in the care of the hospital.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment