Warwick Police Log


The Police Log is a digest of reports filed by the Warwick Police.

Officer Andrew Gilmartin reported that he and a number of other officers went to the CCRI security office around 11 a.m. March 9 for a report of an assault. He said there was a man with the officers who was telling them he feared there might be some retaliation resulting from the incident.
According to the woman who was charging the man with assault, she was on the phone with her mother in the elevator, on her way to the sixth floor. She said a man in the elevator said, “Do you mind?” referring to the fact that she was on the phone. She told police she replied, “If you don’t like the conversation, you do not have to listen,” and he grabbed her phone, got mad and pushed her.” She told police she hit him in self-defense and he shoved her into the wall of the elevator. She said she threw a punch and he threw her to the ground. She said she was in tears when another woman pulled her from the elevator and several men restrained the man. The 19-year-old victim said she wanted to press charges against the man.
A witness who was on the elevator at the same time said she heard the man say, “Do you mind? I don’t want to hear your [expletive] conversation,” and the woman on the phone replied, “Then don’t [expletive] listen.” The woman said she saw the man grab the phone out of her hand while she ran out of the elevator and called security.
After taking statements from several other witnesses, Robert L. Gity, 34, of 2060 Warwick Ave. in Warwick was charged with one count of assault.

Police were dispatched to a house on Elmwood Avenue around 8:30 a.m. on March 6 for a report of a suspicious person taking scrap metal and radiators out of a vacant apartment and hiding the scrap in the shrubs. While police were on the scene, a woman approached one of the officers and said she had a suspect in regard to the scrap theft, but also wanted to report the same suspect for stealing her credit cards and buying televisions from Walmart that he sold to buy crack cocaine. Police arrested Sean Aquino, 22, of 1759 Elmwood and took him to headquarters where Officer Maryellen Jessop heard him confess to stealing the scrap and then described how he stole his father’s girlfriend’s credit cards from her car and bought two televisions worth a total of $639.41 and sold them. He also confessed that he bought cigarettes and candy before he chopped up the cards and threw them away after he learned they were past their limits. Aquino was processed and then transported to District Court.

Officer Charles Austin reported he was taking a stolen car report at the Warwick Mall on March 5 when Macy’s security approached him and told him they suspected the man he was talking to had used someone else’s credit cards to buy $3,450 in their store. Austin said the man already told him that his friend had the keys to his car and when he came out of Macy’s his friend and the car were gone. As things developed, they found that the car owner, identified as Mason Deangelis, 24, of Williamsburg Circle in Warwick, had another man’s wallet, license and credit cards in his pocket and store security said those were used to buy the jewelry and they had it on video. Austin said Deangelis was also charged with larceny when they found a perfume tester on him that was taken from the store.

Several officers responded to an address on Stetson Street around 9:45 a.m. on Feb. 27 for a breaking and entering in progress. Sgt. Eric Falcofsky reported he was heading west on Sandy lane when he heard the call and headed right for Stetson Street. He aid he went to the rear of the residence and found a window pushed in just before he heard someone yelling in front of the house. A witness told him someone came out the front door and started running away through yards toward Armory Drive. He said he saw several open gates but did not see the suspect. A short time later, Officer David Thompson called in that he had a suspect stopped near the library on Sandy Lane who was out of breath and sweating profusely who would not answer his questions. He was patted down for weapons and put in the back of Thompson’s cruiser to await a witness. The witness identified the man as the one he saw running from the house on Stetson Street. Gary Robert Hazelwood, 48, of 111 Whitford St. was charged with breaking and entering and then taken to District Court for arraignment.

Officer John Curley reported he was dispatched to Main Avenue around 7:45 p.m. on March 3 to meet with Sgt. Mark Ullucci who was out with an erratic driver. He said they spoke with the driver who smelled of alcohol and appeared to be intoxicated. He said the driver failed a field sobriety test and was arrested for suspicion of drunk driving. Curley said the driver, identified as Jeffrey A. Stockard, 38, of 106 Clinton Ave. in Warwick was charged with DUI, refusal and driving on a suspended license.

Officer Andrew Gilmartin reported that he and other officers were dispatched to an accident at West Shore Road and Post Road around 10:25 p.m. on March 6 for a car that had driven into a utility pole. Dispatch advised that the driver had left the scene. He said police had been on the scene for about 15 minutes when an SUV pulled up and a man got out who told them he was the driver of the car. Gilmartin said he told police he screwed up and they could arrest him. He said he wasn’t hurt; he had six to eight beers and had not had any more since the accident. Robert W. Zech, 43, of 258 Asylum Rd. was taken to headquarters where he registered a .158 and a .163 blood alcohol content. He was charged with DUI and later transported to the ACI for an outstanding family Court warrant for failure to appear.

Officer Russell Brown reported he was on West Shore Road around 12:55 a.m. on March 9 when he clocked a car doing 67 mph near Cole Farm Road. He said he also saw it swerve over the double yellow lines and had to pull over to avoid being hit. He said he followed the car with sirens and lights and saw it weaving in and out of travel lanes before it finally pulled over and hit a cardboard box by the side of the road. He said the driver smelled of alcohol, appeared to be intoxicated and failed a field sobriety test. Joshua J. Mitchell, 28, of 104 Winter Ave. in Warwick was taken to headquarters where he refused a breath test. He was charged with DUI, refusal, speeding and laned roadway violations. He was later released to a sober adult.

Officer Damian Andrews reported he was on patrol around 12:15 a.m. on March 8 when he got a call about a possible drunk driver on Airport Road heading toward Hoxsie Fort Corners. He said he caught up with a Ford Ranger at the red light and saw the Ranger spin its wheels after the light turned green and sped onto West Shore Road. He said he saw the vehicle cross the double yellow and single white lanes several times before he pulled the Ranger over at Waterman Avenue. He said the driver appeared to be intoxicated and smelled of alcohol. He said the driver failed a field sobriety test and refused a breath test at headquarters. Travis M. L’Heureux, 22, of 26 Crandall Ct in Warwick, was charged with DUI, refusal and laned roadway violations. He was also charged with possession of three grams of marijuana; and a bong, two pipes and a grinder were confiscated. He was later released to a sober adult.

Officer William DiGiulio reported he responded to an accident at 54 Long St. around 1:30 a.m. on March 8. He said he arrived to find a Ford pickup truck had struck a telephone pole and a front tire and rim were knocked off the heavily damaged front end. Warwick Rescue arrived but the driver said he was not hurt and refused treatment. He also reported that the driver smelled of alcohol and appeared to be under the influence. He did admit he had a “couple of beers’ but he failed to pass the field sobriety test. DiGiulio said he had been hopping on one foot and asked, “Is this bad? Is this bad? Am I not doing well?” Stephen M. Burgess, 36, of 2911 West Shore Rd. in Warwick was taken to headquarters where he refused a breath test. He was charged with DUI, second offense, after DiGiulio learned he had a prior from 2008, and refusal. He was later released to a sober adult.

Officer Joel Thomas reported he was doing a radar post on Airport Road around 9:45 p.m. on March 4 when he heard a motorist had called dispatch and said he was following a possible drunk driver south on Post Road who was swerving all over the road before it took a left onto Airport. Thomas said he saw the Ford pickup described by dispatch and followed it. He said it took a too wide right turn onto Warwick Avenue without a signal and was swerving from lane to lane when it crossed the double yellow lines. He pulled the truck over at Ansonia Road where it struck the curb, went over it and then down on the road again. He said the driver smelled of alcohol and appeared to be intoxicated. He said the driver refused to complete a field sobriety test, saying he was too drunk, and was taken to headquarters where he refused to take a breath test. David Lenihan, 46, of 38 Allen Ave. in Warwick was charged with DUI, speeding, refusal and laned roadway violations.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment